PDA

View Full Version : What about hunting the NWT ??

Sniper
10-16-2005, 06:48 PM
anybody have any idea if you need to hire a guide to hunt the NWT ? I have heard in the Yukon you need to be accompanied by a Yukon resident but what about the NWT? I would like to hunt some of the Yukon or NWT border area's but I don't know any residents.

medved
08-01-2006, 06:36 PM
sorry for bad news but in nwt only small game can be hunted without guides ... so you need outfitters ops

David Heitsman
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
I back packed for Dall's with Arctic Red River Outfitters in around '95 I think. Took a 37" ram on the last night. Walked around 120 miles as I recall and lost 15 pounds. Sure was in great shape for deer season here in BC that year!

A few years later around 2000 I went with NWT outfitters and took a respectable cariboo on the first day and a 60" moose on the second
evening. Then had to wait 8 days for the plane to come as it was $3500
for the charter to come and get me otherwise. Very relaxing hunt!

kootenayelkslayer
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
anybody have any idea if you need to hire a guide to hunt the NWT ? I have heard in the Yukon you need to be accompanied by a Yukon resident but what about the NWT? I would like to hunt some of the Yukon or NWT border area's but I don't know any residents.

I'm pretty certain that if you want to hunt in the Yukon and you're not a resident, you also need to go with an outfitter.

kootenayelkslayer
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I back packed for Dall's with Arctic Red River Outfitters in around '95 I think. Took a 37" ram on the last night. Walked around 120 miles as I recall and lost 15 pounds. Sure was in great shape for deer season here in BC that year!

A few years later around 2000 I went with NWT outfitters and took a respectable cariboo on the first day and a 60" moose on the second
evening. Then had to wait 8 days for the plane to come as it was $3500
for the charter to come and get me otherwise. Very relaxing hunt!

Who guided you on your Arctic Red River hunt??

MattB
03-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I Know in the Yk you can hunt as long as you have a resident with you. Im not sure about the NWT, it may be the same as the Yk for canadian residents.

kootenayelkslayer
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
NWT you definetly have to be guided, I know that for sure. But I thought it was the same for the Yukon.

boxhitch
03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I believe, in the nwt and yt you have to be guided for all species. In the yukon a resi can take out a special guiding permit to guide for some species, but not for sheep, gbear, or ??

SUAFOYT
03-21-2007, 05:11 PM
http://www.nwtwildlife.com/hunting/requirements.htm

There's the bad news for all to see.

David Heitsman
03-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Kootenayelkslayer:

Had a guy from Rose Prairie, BC named Lawson Pedersen. We became friends and he is guiding me again this fall for Stone's sheep with Tuchodi River Outfitters. I can't wait.

Tanya
05-19-2007, 07:45 AM
We went on a caribou hunt with Arctic Safaris a few years back. It is not as expensive as many guided hunts and definitely a quality experience. We drove to Yellowknife, only 2 1/2 days from the Island. I'd do it again if there weren't so many other places I want to try and only so much money and time.