PDA

View Full Version : robo-ducks

mwj
01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
i'm looking to aquire a robo-duck or similar "spinner". any advice out there for particular brands and prices? i've got a birthday coming up!:lol:

jessonml
01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't have it infront of me but the more expensive one from Cabelas is worth the extra money. Look on the website.
They are gooood.
matt

Ovis17
01-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a baby mojo mallard drake. Little bit smaller and wings are lighter so battery lasts a long time. Lighter to carry out into field. Cheap too...around 90 bucks!!

blindman
01-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Take a look at realduck.com for a different style of robo. It runs on two AA batteries and I get about three or four days out of a set. The wing comes off and goes into a storage tube and both it and the decoy can be put into your decoy bag or whatever. The best part is that it is a decoy and you put it in the spread where you want to place it; no poles that don't quite work in deep water.

zaconb
01-13-2009, 08:42 PM
My next two will be the mojo teal, much faster wing spin, just a little different...:wink:

Dirty
01-13-2009, 08:52 PM
I have a Flambeau, they were on sale for $75.00 recently. They work good if you keep the "chucks" for the wings well lubricated.

HuntNHookSports
01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I would not recommend the ducks that come with remotes. Moisture destroys them in one trip.

Now I am going to try hard wiring 20 yards of wire from a relay in the spinner to a switch in the blind. The ducks are getting smart on spinners and variance over the on/off may help.

If budget is an issue, make a jerk line. Nearly as effective for a fraction of the cost.

Crazy_Farmer
01-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Now I am going to try hard wiring 20 yards of wire from a relay in the spinner to a switch in the blind. The ducks are getting smart on spinners and variance over the on/off may help.

I did that last year. Ran about 40 feet of 18gauge wire, then a switch on the other end. Worked great but it was a pain for both dogs and human walking around tripping on the wire. Also I found that just leaving it on, not turning it off and on worked better. But who knows really, some robos have the setting now to stay on a few secs then turn off for a few seconds and they seem to be working just as good.

Just my 2 cents.

Qwa-honn
01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I have a lucky duck that came with the intermittint timer. I took it out. I found that it was spooking some ducks when it turned on or off as they were finishing. I think the remote is the way to go. You can turn in off and on to get their attention and leave it on as they get closer. Also one day while out in the field the ducks wouldn't finish for me I couldn't get why at first. I took a look at the spread from different angels and found that there was a flash on the water as bright as the wings. Moved them up on ground and they seemed to work better. I can't for certain that was it but made me a little more aware anyways.

Gunner
01-14-2009, 02:18 PM
I would not recommend the ducks that come with remotes. Moisture destroys them in one trip.

If budget is an issue, make a jerk line. Nearly as effective for a fraction of the cost.
I've been using my Lucky Duck with remote for 4 years,no problems at all.It makes it handy to shut off if geese come in,as I've found that they don't like the spin wing.Using them in a saltwater enviornment may be a totally different story. Gunner

Buck
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
i have the mojo baby mallard and it works great.Battery lasts a couple of days at least.I think i got mine from cabelas for 59 bucks on sale.

zaconb
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM

4 years with both mojo mallard and mojo floater both with remotes never a problem :smile:

HuntNHookSports
01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
My Lucky Duck is 4 years old too. It has spent well over 100 days in the field, travelled over 8000 miles, it has blown over in the salt about half a dozen times, been repainted twice, mounting hardware all replaced with stainless, lost then found, stake rusted in half, shot, and it still spins away for 7 straight hours on the original battery. I have the Mojo floater too but my Lucky is more lucky.

Used my remote on a rainy Northern AB morning, packed up my gear and used it in Southern AB the next evening. The circuits had corroded in the transmitter in 24 hours.
A friend dipped his transmitter in the ocean and that was an instant death for it too.
If spinners where 12V instead of 6V it would be easier to build DIY water proof remotes.

What about the Vortex (spins two robos in a 10' radius), has anyone tried one?

dutchie
01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I have 2 of the Hot shot Mojo's....

if i was to buy them again... I would get the better one and spend the money for the quite days, and get a wind blown one for the really strong days because it puts lots of stress on the motors when the wind stops them...

Hunting in HUGE wind and the spinners wings were stoping because of the the strong winds.. this is when i want a spinner with no motor.

Just my 2 cents... or buyers remorse... what ever you want to call it!

dutchie

sneg
01-19-2009, 08:30 AM
My is Mojo, the big one. Have it for couple years.6V original battery last for good 12 hrs.I use it on salt water ,no problem.just couple drips of oil to bearings and it keeps running.Delta still water sports use to have good selection.

Gope
04-29-2009, 08:03 PM
i would love to have one of these for my spread next year, issue is i live in a location where it is normally windy, and right on the salt chuck. any issues with to much wind? or salt water spray?

i assume you would wipe them down with wd40 after a hunt?

TheDuckinator
04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Mojo Mallard is like a vacuum, in fact its like the "Dyson" of vacuum's. In early season it will pull 'em in even when there out of view, a couple quacks and there hooked

branthunter
05-02-2009, 11:34 AM
i would love to have one of these for my spread next year, issue is i live in a location where it is normally windy, and right on the salt chuck. any issues with to much wind? or salt water spray?

i assume you would wipe them down with wd40 after a hunt?

Try one of the wind powered ones by Winduk or Ureaduck.

BCrams
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
So deadly they should be banned. But since they are not, we use them :-)

Clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8DZXEoMWq0

BlacktailStalker
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
LOL that was sweet, that lab caught the mallard at the end of the video.

Malley Whacker
09-20-2009, 09:31 AM
mojo gets my vote