PDA

View Full Version : Boundary bay

kastles
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
So yesterday me and a buddy went out to boundary bay at the end of 104, walked east a little ways and sat out on the sand bars. there were a few birds flying around and we managed to pull own a duck each. I went back out today and saw nothing. i talked to another hunter and he said its been the same for the past few days. i still enjoyed the day, though i spent most of it walking. Some questions

where did all the ducks go?
can i hunt right off of the dyke? or do i have to be well onto the beach?
Shooting only toward water?
and what are those small birds(thousands in one flock) called?

thanks, kastles

trail blazer
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I have been out there a few times over the holidays and there were lots of ducks but that is when it was frozen, now with all the rain they are in the fields fatting up. Those little birds are snipe they are sure nice to watch but they are closed to hunting in boundary bay. I believe you need to be 100 yards off of the dike to do any shooting.

martyonthewater
01-12-2009, 10:09 PM
i work out in langley and every old corn or sprout field is absolutely covered in quacks. mostly mallards and teal but I have also seen a few pintail lately which seems unusual for some reason

jessonml
01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
and wigeon, lots of wigeon in the fields I've seen. Love those pintails though.

kishman
01-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Lots of ducks down on Sumas flats here in Abby.

sneg
01-13-2009, 08:40 AM
water is getting drained from fields.get ready for some action in marsh.Only 10 days to go !

shotgunjohn
01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Those small shore birds that travel in big flocks are usually sandpipers and not snipe. There is a big difference as snipe are legal game birds and sandpipers are not. Snipe usually fly alone or in small spread out groups. They fly in an erratic zigzag pattern and have a distinctive call. Just trying to keep anyone from accidentally getting in trouble.

kastles
01-13-2009, 07:33 PM
thanks for that john, i was ready to knock some down next time i was at the ocean were its legal to shoot snipe. that was about to make a slow day on the marsh a little better. haha

kastles

pattern master
01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Shotgunjohn is right. The small birds are Sandpipers or better described as Dunlin.

Dirty
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Shotgunjohn is right. The small birds are Sandpipers or better described as Dunlin.

The small birds could also be Longbilled and Shortbilled Dowitchers. They usually mingle with the Dunlin's.