PDA

View Full Version : DRawweight

westhoyt
01-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Is it ok to crank bow up to full draw weight or is it wise to leave adjuster bolts anot quite tightened to the max? Jody

Gilmore
01-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm no expert but I believe I heard that you should leave a little room, ie: on a 60-70# bow 68-68.5 should be max. And no, I don't know why.:confused:

Bigbear
01-10-2009, 03:41 PM
if you want the most out of your Bow, Screw it down tight then Back it off 1/4-1/2 Turn. If your Bow Is screwed down tight, there will be more Vibration in the riser, which is 1. Annoying in the Hand.2. less wear and stress on the Limbs. and Riser. 3. Less wear and tear on the person

Bow Walker
01-11-2009, 05:48 PM
It's by far better to shoot a 60lb bow maxed out than it is to shoot a 70lb bow 'lightened' up to 60lbs.

Both my hunting and target rigs are tight to the max. No problems at all, felt, percieved, or otherwise.

Ron.C
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Agree with Bowwalker,

I'm sure if you werent supposed to shoot your bow with the limb bolts bottomed out, the user manual would say so, and I haven't seen one yet that does. They just say the max # of turns you can loosen them. I don't agree with Bigbear about the vibration. I shot my Mathews maxed out for three years "60# limbs actually gave me 63# maxed" and felt no vibration what so ever, never had any limb or component problems. But try it yourself. Tighten your limb bolts all the way down and shoot a bit. Loosen them 1/4-1/2 turn and see if is louder or more vibration.

jrjonesy
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree with bowwalker and Ron C. I've never heard of the notion of not using the full draw weight to increase performance. Seems counter intuitive to me.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
if you bottom them out at say 70 pounds (most bows with 70 pound weight will be between 68 and 72) and back off 1/4 turn you will be fine ... usually 1 full turn equates to 2.5 pounds of draw weight and you will also find as Big Bear has stated its easier on your equipment .... Ie: pocket bushings, rockers etc ...

jessbennett
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
tighten to max, then back off quarter to half turn.

its much easier on equipment. limbpockets, etc. plus your bow will feel nicer to shoot. 8-)

jessbennett
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Agree with Bowwalker,

I'm sure if you werent supposed to shoot your bow with the limb bolts bottomed out, the user manual would say so, and I haven't seen one yet that does. They just say the max # of turns you can loosen them. I don't agree with Bigbear about the vibration. I shot my Mathews maxed out for three years "60# limbs actually gave me 63# maxed" and felt no vibration what so ever, never had any limb or component problems. But try it yourself. Tighten your limb bolts all the way down and shoot a bit. Loosen them 1/4-1/2 turn and see if is louder or more vibration.

so you went over what your limb max weight was suppost to be???? sounds "much safer" than shooting 1/4 turn below max weight.:confused:

besides with most bows, there is a sweet spot in the draw weight that perfomance just doesnt get any better with increased weight. whats the point in pulling 70 pounds when performance is best at 66 or 67 pounds???

jessbennett
01-12-2009, 01:18 PM
It's by far better to shoot a 60lb bow maxed out than it is to shoot a 70lb bow 'lightened' up to 60lbs.

Both my hunting and target rigs are tight to the max. No problems at all, felt, percieved, or otherwise.

so you think its better to max out a 60 pound bow at 62-63 pounds???? or do you think its best to go to what the bow is rated for?

willyqbc
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
I have to agree with the those who believe the bow should be backed off a bit...a quarter turn is all you need. The reason I do this is to save wear and tear on the limbs and limb pockets etc. If you tighten the bolts all the way down and bury the limb pocket against the riser you don't allow any room for the limb or limb pocket to move during the shot. It puts an extra stress on the limb at the edge of the pocket as it flexes past it's point of rest once you release, if you leave a small gap by backing out the bolt a 1/4 turn it allows the limb or limb pocket (depending on the style) to pivot away from the bolt and take up a good deal of that stress. Basically you are creating a pivot point to prevent the limb/limb pocket from taking all the stress of the limb trying to flex past it's point of rest during the shot. If you've ever seen a super slow motion video of what a bow goes through during a shot it is amazing that they hold together at all!!!!

Just my opinion
Chris

PGK
01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I was always taught to lock em down and then back em off a half turn.

OOBuck
01-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Best bet is to search the manufactures site or ask. I have yet to see any bow that where the manufacture allows the limb to be bottomed out on.

Bow Walker
01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
so you went over what your limb max weight was suppost to be???? sounds "much safer" than shooting 1/4 turn below max weight.:confused:

besides with most bows, there is a sweet spot in the draw weight that perfomance just doesnt get any better with increased weight. whats the point in pulling 70 pounds when performance is best at 66 or 67 pounds???

so you think its better to max out a 60 pound bow at 62-63 pounds???? or do you think its best to go to what the bow is rated for?
Maxing out the limbs isn't a matter of trying to go over any stated "limit" - it's just what I was taught when I was starting out. I am more than willing to converted, just show me how it is better....:wink:

I have to agree with the those who believe the bow should be backed off a bit...a quarter turn is all you need. The reason I do this is to save wear and tear on the limbs and limb pockets etc. If you tighten the bolts all the way down and bury the limb pocket against the riser you don't allow any room for the limb or limb pocket to move during the shot. It puts an extra stress on the limb at the edge of the pocket as it flexes past it's point of rest once you release, if you leave a small gap by backing out the bolt a 1/4 turn it allows the limb or limb pocket (depending on the style) to pivot away from the bolt and take up a good deal of that stress. Basically you are creating a pivot point to prevent the limb/limb pocket from taking all the stress of the limb trying to flex past it's point of rest during the shot. If you've ever seen a super slow motion video of what a bow goes through during a shot it is amazing that they hold together at all!!!!

Just my opinion
Chris
What are the limb pockets designed for, if not to hold the limbs securely during the shot cycle??:confused::?

This theory of a 'sweet spot' does sound like it has a certain merit - I'll try it out and see if I can get better performance from my equipment.:| I'm always willing to be convinced of a better way to do things:wink:

I've watched a few slo-mo's of the shot cycle, and I quite agree that everything is in motion. Everything. But isn't the reason that there are vibration dampeners, stabilizers, and different shock absorbing gizmos on the bow just for the very reason that everything is trying to tear the bow apart?? That's what their function and design is aimed at.

willyqbc
01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
What are the limb pockets designed for, if not to hold the limbs securely during the shot cycle??:confused::???:

The limb pockets are designed more to contain left/right pivoting of the limbs, rather than to control vertical movement. If the pocket and limbs were meant to be mated together in a rigid manner you would see screws through the face of the pocket into the limbs to mate them securely to the pocket. it is my opinion that these components are meat to move and flex independantly of one another.

Just my opinion
Chris

Bowzone_Mikey
01-13-2009, 11:45 PM
The limb pockets are designed more to contain left/right pivoting of the limbs, rather than to control vertical movement. If the pocket and limbs were meant to be mated together in a rigid manner you would see screws through the face of the pocket into the limbs to mate them securely to the pocket. it is my opinion that these components are meat to move and flex independantly of one another.

Just my opinion
Chris

X Deuce :biggrin::biggrin:

jessbennett
01-14-2009, 10:47 AM
[quote=Bow Walker;393209]Maxing out the limbs isn't a matter of trying to go over any stated "limit" - it's just what I was taught when I was starting out. I am more than willing to converted, just show me how it is better....:wink:

60 pound limbs are 60 pound limbs. that is what they are designed to be maxed at. not 61, not 62, etc.......etc........

but thats just ones opinion.

vibration dampners, stabilizers, and other vibration dampening gizmos are definately there for that reason, but alot of it is also marketing dont you think? a quieter, smoother, vibration free bow......... sounds good to me!:p

a neat experiment would be to take all those"gizmos" off, max out your bow, shoot it. then back it off a half turn or so to see what the difference is.
id be willing to bet that it would be nicer to shoot with it backed off a bit.

but again, its just my opinion. i have my preference as im sure you have yours.

Ron.C
01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, I have my opinion on this as do others on here. So I decided to call the experts and find out for sure. I tried to call BOWTECH and haven't been able to get through yet but did get through to PSE Tech assistance.

I asked,

"Can you bottom the limb bolts out on a bow and safely shoot the bow?"

the Response from PSE TECH assistance

Yes and No. It depends on the type of bow. A PSE bow with standard limb pockets IS DESIGNED to be shot with the limb bolts bottomed out. There can be a small variance in draw weight from bow to bow, for example some 60# bows may draw a max of 58.5#, another may draw 61#, but both are safe to shoot maxed out. Any additional vibration from shooting the bow maxed out is negligible. Now a PSE bow with Hyper- Lite limb pockets IS NOT DESIGNED to be shot with the limb bolts physically bottomed out. What is considered bottomed out on a bow with Hyper-Lite limb pocket is a 5mm gap.

So, I am sure if I call 10 different companies, I will receive the same type of answer. But take it for what it is. If you are concerned about it, call/write the manufacturer of your bow and find out.

jrjonesy
01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Good post Ron. I would also assume you'd get similar answers from other manufactures.

I think a key point is "any additional vibration from shooting the bow 'maxed out' would be neglible".

If someone has the ability to feel the difference in vibration or assess the increase or decrease in "performance" from the same bow with 2 or 3 pounds difference in draw weight they are truly gifted. I would think that any difference in performance would be muscle memory/shooter related, not bow related.

oldtimer
01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Ron.C I don't think the question was wether you can safely shoot a bow with the limbs maxed out but rather is it better for the bow and maybe even the archer if they are maxed out or just backed off a bit. Mike

Bow Walker
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm intrigued enough (now) to contact the manufacturer of my two bows. Hoyt and Diamond/Bowtech. I'll post up the responses - if any.

Later - Dan.

Ron.C
01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Ron.C I don't think the question was wether you can safely shoot a bow with the limbs maxed out but rather is it better for the bow and maybe even the archer if they are maxed out or just backed off a bit. Mike

Agree, safety was not the initial question, but it's obviously a factor that should be looked at that definitely relates to this subject. Earlier in this thread I posted that I didn't see a problem with bottoming out the limbs. According to my discussion with PSE TECH Assistance yesterday, I was wrong to say that and there is alot more to the subject than a simple yes/no answer. So on those bows, that should not have the limb bolts physically bottomed out, no, it is definitely not better for the bow and more importantly not safe as you are using the bow in a manner it was not meant to be used. But for those bows that can have the limb bolts bottomed out and safely shoot, its fine. Wether it's better for the shooter and his/her shooting style, that is up to the individual shooter to determin for himself. Whats's better for me may be worse for you.

jessbennett
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Agree, safety was not the initial question, but it's obviously a factor that should be looked at that definitely relates to this subject. Earlier in this thread I posted that I didn't see a problem with bottoming out the limbs. According to my discussion with PSE TECH Assistance yesterday, I was wrong to say that and there is alot more to the subject than a simple yes/no answer. So on those bows, that should not have the limb bolts physically bottomed out, no, it is definitely not better for the bow and more importantly not safe as you are using the bow in a manner it was not meant to be used. But for those bows that can have the limb bolts bottomed out and safely shoot, its fine. Wether it's better for the shooter and his/her shooting style, that is up to the individual shooter to determin for himself. Whats's better for me may be worse for you.

did you mention to the tech that you were maxing a 60 pound bow at a weight over its maximum specified draw weight? :confused:

Ron.C
01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
did you mention to the tech that you were maxing a 60 pound bow at a weight over its maximum specified draw weight? :confused:

Short answer, no, I didn't mention it, but

I'm just passing on information that I obtained during a phone call with a Tech from PSE, not a local bowshop TECH rep, but someone from the factory, that said some bow max draw weights can vary from just under to just over the tagged draw weight when the limbs are set at the proper max max position given that particular bow, and it is safe to shoot a bow like this. that's what I got from the conversation so take it as you will.

Personally, My Mathews FX I owned with 60 pound limbs would max out at 63#. My PSE Thunderbolt with 70 # limbs would max out at over 73. My current bow, a Bowtech Allegiance will top out at just over 62# with 60# limbs. The only one I shot bottomed out was the Matthews and I never had an issue.

Bow Walker
01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Well - I went to the Bowtech website and emailed them a question regarding bottoming out the limbs.:?:

Message: I have been told that "bottoming out" the limbs is not advisable. Is this true? Are there definite disadvantages to bottoming out the limb bolts on a bow? I own a Diamond Liberty, and am very interested in your opinion(s). Thank you, Dan.

This was their answer - and a rather speedy one at that...:smile:

You want to bottom them out and then take and just break it loose. The idea is to not allow it to seize up.

Nick Droback
customer service
1 877 447 0293
Bowtech90554 Highway 99 North
Eugene, Oregon 97402

SO - I stand corrected.:redface: I retract any remarks that might be construed as being "know-it-all" and I am going to back off the limb bolts on my Diamond Liberty hunting bow by 1/8 of a turn.

Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks??:roll::oops:;)

Ron.C
01-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Good post,

Thanks Dan

jessbennett
01-16-2009, 08:36 AM
good post. thats what this forum is all about sharing information and giving advice :smile:. we all can learn from sharing little tips and ideas i think...

Onesock
01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
After reading this I want to back out the limbs on my longbow. How do I do that?

westhoyt
01-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Wow this question sure generated a lot of discussion, awesome so much info. Jody

Bowzone_Mikey
01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Well - I went to the Bowtech website and emailed them a question regarding bottoming out the limbs.:?:

This was their answer - and a rather speedy one at that...:smile:

SO - I stand corrected.:redface: I retract any remarks that might be construed as being "know-it-all" and I am going to back off the limb bolts on my Diamond Liberty hunting bow by 1/8 of a turn.

Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks??:roll::oops:;)

Nick Is a smart guy and a great resource on Bowtech stuff ... while i have been on the IR list from shootinI have been triing to learn everything I can about the Bowtech line and past and present binery cam systems ....

Jess .. you should better ...not all bows are created equal .. My Super tec at one point in Time was Drapers he got 2 from Hoyt exact same specs blah blah blah .... the limb deflections were slightly differant as we compared them one day both stated 70# on the limb stickers but maxed out mine measured 72 and his measured 69.

so taking the final point past limb sticker stat is no problem ...just be certain to back it off after bottoming the limbs out ... I do a 1/4 turn for my peice of mind ..a 1/2 pound loss at most is nothing.

jessbennett
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
i should better????? what you mean mikey?????:)

Bowzone_Mikey
01-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Crap ... ..
"Know Better"

jessbennett
01-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Crap ... ..
"Know Better"

hahahaha.... yes mikey yes.......:razz:
i know of some people having warranty issues.
"your bow blew up because is was at 74 pounds when its a 70 pound bow.... yadda yadda yadda..... thats all....

Bow Walker
01-18-2009, 07:48 PM
"your bow blew up because is was at 74 pounds when its a 70 pound bow.... yadda yadda yadda..... thats all....

IMHO that's companies trying to duck the issue - "They" know that maxing out a 60 lb bow will give a rating in ecxess of 60 lbs. As has been said - maxing out the limbs almost always give a person something in the order of 2 - 5 lbs extra weight. "They" don't know this, or recognize this?? Give me a break. Tug on the other leg, will ya? This one's getting a bit too long and it's tired.

OOBuck
01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
After reading this I want to back out the limbs on my longbow. How do I do that?

Canadian Tire belt sander....

jessbennett
01-18-2009, 08:54 PM
IMHO that's companies trying to duck the issue - "They" know that maxing out a 60 lb bow will give a rating in ecxess of 60 lbs. As has been said - maxing out the limbs almost always give a person something in the order of 2 - 5 lbs extra weight. "They" don't know this, or recognize this?? Give me a break. Tug on the other leg, will ya? This one's getting a bit too long and it's tired.

give you a break???? tug on the other leg???? i hope you are not referring to me???? this may be getting long and tired so, for this, i personally appologize to you mr bowalker for dragging this out and discussing the "possibilities" of what could happen.

Johnnybear
01-18-2009, 11:15 PM

Great post Onesock:D.

I have toyed with the compound thing but have re-affirmed my ambitions with trad gear from this thread. Thank you all:D. Totally kidding. I would like to try a compound some day as I have never shot one. Great information guys.

Bow Walker
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
give you a break???? tug on the other leg???? i hope you are not referring to me???? this may be getting long and tired so, for this, i personally appologize to you mr bowalker for dragging this out and discussing the "possibilities" of what could happen.
No disrespect or ill will intended at all, I just have a hard time believing that a bow company will not honor a warranty issue if the limbs were to be bottomed out with the bow drawing just a few more pounds than is printed on the "sticker"?!? Or am I taking this the wrong way?

jessbennett
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
No disrespect or ill will intended at all, I just have a hard time believing that a bow company will not honor a warranty issue if the limbs were to be bottomed out with the bow drawing just a few more pounds than is printed on the "sticker"?!? Or am I taking this the wrong way?

i have personally seen this with a friends bow. he was honest and up front and explained that he was shooting a 70 pound bow at 73 pounds. the warranty was NOT honored because he was shooting over what was the specified maximum draw weight.

that is your choice for finding it "hard to believe"....... i just thought id pass some information on from a previous experience, because if it happened once , who knows it could happen again sometime to someone else. Im not saying it will happen to someone else, im saying it could.

Bow Walker
01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Pretty cheesy, eh Jesse? "They" know that the bow weight will exceed the maximum if the limbs ar bottomed out - and many shooters do just that.

All in all though, this thread has been very enlightening for "yours truly".

Good one, guys!