PDA

View Full Version : Rigging them up?

Phoneguy
01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I just received my first set of decoys. I got a dozen GreenHead Gear Hot Buy Mallards.

So how do I rig them up. Can I use braided line or should I use some kind of shock cord.....and how long? Also anchors. Can I just use some kind of fishing weight (how heavy) or should I get something special.

If anyone can point me to a tutorial I would appreciate it!

Thanks
James

kyleklassen
01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
use braided cord, fishing line will break when ya chuck 'em and the weight comes tight. weights depend on where your huntin' you can use anything but something that wraps around the neck or keel are best. preferably the keel to avoid paint damage. pencil lead works good. but valve springs ,sparkplugs ,wheel weights thick wall steel pipe cut into sections. a few links of chain, fishin weights, bunch of nuts and bolts all work to. old kitchen sink will work too.

sneg
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I got some hot buys as well in my spread. I use braided/polyester thin lines ( does not rot). Use lead fishing weigth 1 1/2 oz . Odd shape is better for anchoring. It hold great in marsh with ever changing current,even with small floating ice. I attach line to each decoy. This allow to make decoy pattern set up any shape I wish.Small issue was to make sure that line does not unwind during transportation. That overcomed with addition of rubber anchor lead, I have got from Cabellas. Works fine. Unfortunately rubber is not strong enough if anchor catch up something on bottom.Also wet rubber damages quickly under freeze.Length depends were you wanna hunt. For BB you'll need 1-1.5 m. For WH marsh you'll need longer, 2-3 m. If you set up your decoys inside channel than you need even longer. Length would not hurt, extra few feet would allow for your decoys to wonder around with breeze.Too long cord will be difficult to set up,as if current change decoys can tangle together.Good luck.

f350ps
01-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I get my line from Pacific Net or Redden Net in Steveston. I put 16' on each decoy with 6 oz. weights. I prefer to have longer lines that way you're good for most places. K

branthunter
01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I get my line from Pacific Net or Redden Net in Steveston. I put 16' on each decoy with 6 oz. weights. I prefer to have longer lines that way you're good for most places. K

I've got 10-15' lines on a lot of my duck decoys too ( and about a dozen with just 3'lines )---if hunting in shallower water I just leave some of the longer lines wrapped on the decoy (I use a figure-8 wrap--that lets me just unwrap the line to the depth I need, take a turn on the neck, and toss'em ). For hunting the ditches I use 5-8 dekes on longlines ( with the longline wrapped around-and-around the body for easier deployment) and with a tail line to keep them from swinging with the tide and I set the shorter single lines along the shallower edges. All the weights I made myself using a cupcake/muffin tin hi-jacked from the kitchen, melted down downrigger balls and heavy gauge copper/brass/SS wire. (3-4 oz. for singles, much heavier for the longlines). For lines I use the heaviest gauge green braided line from Nikka in Richmond----too thin is too rough on the hands. Every time you cut the line make sure you fuse the cut ends---us a propane torch or one of the new butane firestarter sticks---or you'll end up with a bunch of fuzzy ends full of mud .

The 'Hummer'
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
;)On a lighter note. A number of years back, my buddy & I headed to AB for Pheasants & Ducks. Like all of our trips there, very successful, and memorable. Keeping in mind, the only thing in life he is serious about is Duck hunting and setting out decoys, the mistake he made is in asking me to help him set out & arrange the decoy display. Mistake #1. I happened to bring one of my daughters 'bright' bath tub ducks and accidently dropped it amongst the decoys. After the 1st half hour of Ducks coming in and veering off when he checked the decoys........... I thought I may have to hitchhike home.

Phoneguy
01-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I just made a bunch of muffin tin weights from pellet gun ammo from the range. 4 weights about a half inch deep weigh 4 lbs, so one lb each. I think they are to heavy. Should I keep them and just cast some smaller ones too, or are they really to heavy. I am thinking 12 lbs of lead as well as decoys, shotguns, ammo, etc would be a heavy haul out!

kyleklassen
01-30-2009, 05:55 PM
get hacksaw and shave them down a little. if your hunting rivers or offshore put a couple together.

branthunter
01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I just made a bunch of muffin tin weights from pellet gun ammo from the range. 4 weights about a half inch deep weigh 4 lbs, so one lb each. I think they are to heavy. Should I keep them and just cast some smaller ones too, or are they really to heavy. I am thinking 12 lbs of lead as well as decoys, shotguns, ammo, etc would be a heavy haul out!

Those bigger ones should do good for long line weights. I'd get a smaller muffin pan for your single duck weights. The one I used was about the diameter of a loonie and I poured the lead about 1/2" deep. The nicest weights I've ever seen were some I got from f350ps that came with some snow goose decoys I bought from him years ago. They were a square sided cone shape with all the edges rounded off and probably weigh about 4-5 oz. each. Others I've seen are a perfect cone shape about 1" to1 1/4" deep from point to top and the diameter of a loonie across the top.

Phoneguy
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Dollar store has some stainless steel shotglass sized ....cups. Those would probably work?

Jimbo
01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Used a paper egg carton years ago. Poured each one about half full of lead and that was enough to hold a deke in the river current. The down side is that weights are hard on the paint jobs in the decoy bag. Unless you have a newer slotted type bag, I would look at the L shaped weights and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.

branthunter
01-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Dollar store has some stainless steel shotglass sized ....cups. Those would probably work?

Sounds OK, but get 6 or 8 so you can make multiple pours.

branthunter
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Used a paper egg carton years ago. Poured each one about half full of lead and that was enough to hold a deke in the river current. The down side is that weights are hard on the paint jobs in the decoy bag. Unless you have a newer slotted type bag, I would look at the L shaped weights and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.

Good idea, although I'm surprised the paper held up to the hot lead without leaking.

Jimbo
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Good idea, although I'm surprised the paper held up to the hot lead without leaking.

It's been quite a few years but I don't recall any fires :wink:. Maybe I soaked the carton first ??

Phoneguy
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
The down side is that weights are hard on the paint jobs in the decoy bag. and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.

I was thinking of using some small aluminium caribeeners at the end of the line, with about a foot of bungee cord at that end. Keep the weights seperate until they are deplyed, snap a hook through the eye hook on the weight and put them out. Travel the weights in a different pocket. Then the beeners could be used to hook to the keep when wrapping up the line too.

Picked up 3 caribeeners for $1 at the dollar store. Don't know how long the spring will last, but the body is made out of aluminum so ...

sneg
01-30-2009, 07:55 PM
quotePicked up 3 caribeeners for $1 at the dollar store. Don't know how long the spring will last, but the body is made out of aluminum so ...unquote
I do not think it is gonna last more than one season. but on good note...preparation for hunt is nice thing about waterfowl hunting....just got my pack of snow gees decoys and L-shaped anchors.will be busy tomorrow....i found that loose weight is really hard on paint job.now i m completely for tight strings.separate pockets for each decoy will do nice aw well.

branthunter
01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I was thinking of using some small aluminium caribeeners at the end of the line, with about a foot of bungee cord at that end. Keep the weights seperate until they are deplyed, snap a hook through the eye hook on the weight and put them out. Travel the weights in a different pocket. Then the beeners could be used to hook to the keep when wrapping up the line too.

Picked up 3 caribeeners for $1 at the dollar store. Don't know how long the spring will last, but the body is made out of aluminum so ...

Too complicated---you want to be able to wrap and throw quickly, whether setting or retrieving your spread.

kyleklassen
01-30-2009, 08:12 PM
pencil lead good for keel wrappers. loop in one end, 4or5" long, pinch on keel.

01-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I would look at the L shaped weights and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.

I use those with the hot buy mallards, and they work great. I throw them all into a sack and never worry about tangels. Costs a bit more than making your own, but I think it's worth it, and with the 7 oz weight, your deeks arn't wont get draged away by ice or fast currents. And if you order it from cabelas, and you dont like them after a year you can return them, no questions asked.

f350ps
01-30-2009, 08:38 PM
You can make a mold outta of a lot of different things. If ya try the egg carton idea DON'T soak it in water first or you'll have lead everywhere. I think I've still got the mold that Branthunter referred to if ya want to borrow it. What I've done with the last bunch I made was to dip them in that liquid plastic stuff. I can't remember the name of it but the Plastic Shop in Richmond sells it. It's the cats ass for keeping yer dekes from getting scratched up. K

Phoneguy
01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
You can make a mold outta of a lot of different things. If ya try the egg carton idea DON'T soak it in water first or you'll have lead everywhere. I think I've still got the mold that Branthunter referred to if ya want to borrow it. What I've done with the last bunch I made was to dip them in that liquid plastic stuff. I can't remember the name of it but the Plastic Shop in Richmond sells it. It's the cats ass for keeping yer dekes from getting scratched up. K

I wouldn't mind trying that mold if you are willing to lend it out. I have also seen L/J type molds available on ebay and outdoor shops. At $30 - $40.00 US it is a few bucks though...Thought about the plastic dip too. They didn't have any at Home Depot today.

James

branthunter
01-31-2009, 10:33 AM

Now that's some smart thinking---you may just have saved somebody's eyes or prevented a nasty burn Kelly. Of course one should always wear eye protection when handling molten lead but a good warning nevertheless. Here's another thought----if you're making your own weights be sure to use something non-ferrous (brass or SS) for the eye, otherwise it will eventually rust out

f350ps
01-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Learned that one the hard way Bob, like most things. James, you're more than welcome to use that mold but I'll need a couple weeks to find it as I'm laid up right now, sort of. K

crazy ducker
01-31-2009, 03:46 PM
don't ever used a soaked anything when pouring lead. when the molten lead hits any bit of moisture it will explode with a bang and molten lead will fly every where.

Marc
01-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Something else that works quite well guys is a piece of hard wood with grooves made into it. I had my next door neighbor make me a ring that had a diameter big enough to slip over a goose decoys neck and just a bit less then a half inch thick. Got some old tire weights, melted them down and poured them in the mold. Yes it burns the wood a bit but not enough to catch it on fire.

I also have the J weights on all my duck decoys now, I put two dozen decoys in the same bag and makes it a hell of a lot easier to manage in the dark.

branthunter
02-01-2009, 02:48 PM
don't ever used a soaked anything when pouring lead. when the molten lead hits any bit of moisture it will explode with a bang and molten lead will fly every where.

I actually had the concrete floor of my garage explode once (right under the pot, which I was heating with a tiger torch)

Phoneguy
02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Looking in Can Tire yesterday for some plastic dip. Didn't find any but noticed some rubberized brushable undercoat for around $10.00. I bet that would do the job. Haven't bought anything yet...Still playing with the casting techniques and molds.

sparkes3
06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
try liquid black tape from canadian tire works great for all kinds of stuff

f350ps
06-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Phoneguy, I found that mold if ya need it. K

Deer Sausage
12-20-2009, 01:16 AM
i used to use 75 pound mono crimped and a 4 ounce lead ball wieght....it sucked! opening closing a snap swivel at -13 is a chore....the mono never tangled and that was great but the crimps would sometimes snap the line on the toss...bloop! bye bye weight!....having the weights in another bag was just one more thing to forget in those dark painful moments before a 3 am departure!...i got sick of it and got these.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0040946228335a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=decoy+wieghts&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
they are the cats ass....permanent...bombproof...very very fast set out and pick up...the little bungee on there keeps the "L" shaped weight on the keel when its all wrapped up..i used some green cotton commercial fishing cord.....this set up is honestly near perfect and those weights were cheap...why didn't i get to it sooner? *slaps head :-D

Deer Sausage
12-20-2009, 01:23 AM
i used to use 75 pound mono crimped and a 4 ounce lead ball wieght....it sucked! opening closing a snap swivel at -13 is a chore....the mono never tangled and that was great but the crimps would sometimes snap the line on the toss...bloop! bye bye weight!....having the weights in another bag was just one more thing to forget in those dark painful moments before a 3 am departure!...i got sick of it and got these.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0040946228335a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=decoy+wieghts&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1
they are the cats ass....permanent...bombproof...very very fast set out and pick up...the little bungee on there keeps the "L" shaped weight on the keel when its all wrapped up..i used some green cotton commercial fishing cord.....this set up is honestly near perfect and those weights were cheap...why didn't i get to it sooner? *slaps head :-D

Kasomor
10-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Any one have their decoys Texas Rigged ???

http://www.txwaterfowler.com/html_pages/duck_hunting/texas_rigged_decoys/index.htm

Pro's ...Cons...????

heyblast
10-24-2010, 12:50 PM
X 2. I'd like to know as well.

Kasomor
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
I made a new thread with this question.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30166&goto=nextoldest