PDA

View Full Version : coyote stalking

pupper
10-13-2005, 11:46 PM
my friends farm has quite the coyote attraction so he invited me out with my bow, sure enough as soon as i looked in the field i saw one. I stalked as close as i could moving slow close to the ground but at 100 yards it got up and moved and then 5 others jumped up and they ran into the bush.
appearantly they are there every day.

It seems really hard to walk up to a coyote, so whats my best option?
hang out behind a wood pile close to where they come out?
or try to sit in the bush along the trail wich they walk every day?

any advice from expert coyote hunters?

i think this is my first chance to enter the p&y(not that it coyote is prestigous)
haha

BlacktailStalker
10-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I've heard of guys using rabbit squeal calls, or even a live rabbit hanging from its leg from a tree in the open. Coyotes are curious, and will check out anything. Just set up 25 yards behind it or beside it. They are pretty smart from what I've been told.

Kirby
10-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Call, such as howls, or rabbit in distress work, but if they are close to a building, or structure, it might not work as well, if they are consistant, try a blind.
Live rabbits would be considered baiting, and isn't legal in BC.

Kirby

Barracuda
10-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Can you use a shot gun or a 22 on the farm? I have recordings and an electronic caller? I would be up for some vermin shooting:mrgreen:

mark
10-14-2005, 07:08 AM
i do balieve baiting is legal in bc now kirby

J_T
10-14-2005, 08:13 AM
If there are trees nearby on the fringes you can set up a tree stand. Use a piece of white cloth (12 inches square) on the end of a fishing pole. Make a few distress calls to get their attention and then start reeling in and playing the cloth decoy.

JT

Fred
10-14-2005, 08:39 AM
You could do as JT suggested but using a chicken wing or just hang the wing within bow range.

Another method that works well is distraction. Yotes hate Foxes. Place a stuffed fox in your lure spot and a rabbit type decoy between its feet. Then use the squeeker to get the yotes attention. The coyote might be cautious at first but when it spots the fox it will attack to kill the fox and also steal the rabbit. You could enhance the scenario by using Red Fox cover scent! Have fun!:grin: Fred

pupper
10-14-2005, 05:41 PM
well first off i know it is illegal to bait bears in bc so i assume its the same for coyote. second of all i can only use my bow as it is on a farm close to town with alot of houses near by. also i dont want to kill it for the sake of killing it, i want to have some fun and extra practise with my bow. next time i will try the calls and maybe the fishing cloth idea that sounds fun, fishing and hunting at the same time.

Gateholio
10-14-2005, 08:23 PM
The only thing you cannot bait in BC is bears.

COyotes, wolves, deer, moose, elk, etc are fine to bait form a legal standpoint.

What Fred suggested with the fox sounds like the mos fun, though...