PDA

View Full Version : Close, but not quite

BlacktailStalker
10-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I put away the rifle for a while to switch it up a bit and set up on the edge of a field I'd hunted earlier in the year with my bow, 10 mins before dark a doe and fawn came out, then another doe. 5 mins later another doe came out, all feeding 37-45 yards away (have a range finder). LIke 3 mins later the buck came out, a nice 2x3, but when he came he spooked the others from the noise in the bush he made so they ran out another 50 yards. He popped out and trotted into the field 40 yards before stopping and feeding! I set up about 20 yards too far to the right from where they came out. Persoanlly I wont make a shot longer than 30 yards, blacktails are just too skittish and wary. Thats the closest out of 5 attempts on this guy, every time I've been there he's come out on the opposite side of the field. I'm gonna go back the next night it rains and he's gettin' skewered!! Of course they'll come out somewhere different again lol but thats what makes it "hunting" and not "killing."
Hope everyone's season is going well.

Darren
10-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Blacktail Stalker, Heres a post you'll probably enjoy reading. You think your getting frustrated after hunting this guy for a month, wait 4 more years and see how u feel, if the Bucks still outsmarting ya, or maybe just getting lucky? Gotta love Blacktail hunting! Looks like theres goona be some good hunting weather this weekend, maybe you'll get a poke at him. Good luck!

http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/showthread.php?t=6419

BlacktailStalker
10-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Lol, ok I'm not doing so bad!

Ddog
11-19-2005, 06:24 PM
that sounds so familiar with those blacktails..i am after 1 that i have seen for a long long time now on the mainland...the bigger they get the smarter they get...ever tried calling this deer, i found that calling really works great on dominant blacktails..especially combined with scent