PDA

View Full Version : Salami Storage

Huey
01-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Any idea how to store uncut salami. I took one out of the freezer and cut a little bit off, threw it back in the fridge in a ziplock. Now it looks like its going rancid in its own fat. The casing has mold on it... What can I do better with the other 10 salami's I have in the freezer??

ElkMasterC
01-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Awww, damn, I thought this was going to be much more interesting from what the subject header said.....damn...

If you're talking about game salami, what I do is I vacuum pack it in bags of varying sizes (depends on what you use, and the size of the salami).

When you're ready to eat, take it out of the deep freeze and thaw it. If there are several sticks to a bag, the I usually take one or two out, and re-vacuum pack and re-freeze the rest.

Then I hang it in my kitchen, like in a butcher shop, slicing off what i need.

If it's going to be awhile before it's finished, I keep it in the fridge in a dry paper bag. Don't keep it in plastic. Don't let it get moist. Keep it dry and cool.
Enjoy.

tomahawk
01-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Couple things, does the salami have cure in it? Don't store it in a closed ziplock, no vent for the moisture that is trying to escape after being frozen.

Visle
01-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Too late to do it now but my butcher says hang it for a MONTH in a cool dry place before freezing in vacuum sealed bags.Works well.

mark
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
When you get the sausage home, cut it into portions you figure you can eat in a few days. Then vac-pac for freezing, once thawed simply eat it within a few days, just keep in fridge! A little bit of mould wont hurt ya!

Ubertuber
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Wrap it in paper rather than plastic so the moisture has can escape, it should last a long time if allowed to breath.

BigBanger
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Just let it hang there and quit playing with it .

ElkMasterC
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Sure is a lot of repetition on this site.....it's almost like people don't read threads before posting.....

...almost, huh?

Must love to type, I guess. lol

:D

newhunterette
01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Scott,

just eat it faster :)

Mr. Dean
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Any idea how to store uncut salami. I took one out of the freezer and cut a little bit off, threw it back in the fridge in a ziplock. Now it looks like its going rancid in its own fat. The casing has mold on it... What can I do better with the other 10 salami's I have in the freezer??

How long did it take to start growing cultures?

nano
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
To get the mold off just take a scrub brush and brush it off NO WATER then vacume pack it sould be good.

Huey
01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys and gals for all you suggestions... I've lost this one but wont be making the same mistake twice!

How long did it take to start growing cultures?

Dean,

It took about a week and a bit for the cultures to start forming near the top of the casing where it is tied. The smoke on it started to stink everything up in the fridge so we enclosed it... bad idea.

Mr. Dean
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Dean,

It took about a week and a bit for the cultures to start forming near the top of the casing where it is tied. The smoke on it started to stink everything up in the fridge so we enclosed it... bad idea.

Then I'd agree with the others. Don't put in plastic. Maybe next time, package in smaller batches that won't sit around for very long.

Now "man-up" and lets see some pics of Huey doin the seagull on a fuzzy salami. :ccol:

The MAN
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Scott,

just eat it faster :)

Ali, you are good with cooking and food, you probably know how to hide a sausage, any suggestions as I am in the same vote?

huntwriter
01-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Never ever store salami, cut or uncut, in plastic containers or bags. Unlike cooked sausages, real salami contains a live curing culture. If you want to wrap salami, wrap it in paper or a clean dry towel. Salami should only be stored in the fridge, preferably in the chill drawer. If the salami is cut, just cover the cut surface with plastic cling wrap. Unlike suggested by someone else, salami should NEVER be frozen. Freezing creates ice crystals inside the salami. The ice crystals in turn separate the emulsion making the salami mushy and tasteless.

If it is real salami it contains a culture that creates edible mold on the surface of the prudct. If the mold is gray to dark gray colored with a hairy texture covering the cut side too, its rotten. DO NOT EAT ANY OF IT. If the mold has a white-ish to light gray color with a flat almost painted on texture, and does not smell moldy or rancid it is the good version created by the salami curing culture and salt. Clean it off with a damp, not wet, cloth. Pad, not rub, the salami dry with a clean cotton towel and store it again.

Disregard all of the above if the salami is one of the fake vacuum packed super-store variety. In that case only the first part of not storing salami, or any uncooked meats, meat products, fruit and vegetables for that matter, for any length of time in a plastic container or plastic bag unless its vacuum sealed or immediately frozen. Meat, meat products, vegetables, fruit and an other uncooked foods produce cases that have no way of escaping from sealed Zip-Lok bags and plastic containers. These gases hasten the rotting process.
Hope this tips help.