PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Shells

CamoChris30-30
10-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Does anyone have some ideas as to what shells to use in steel shot for ducks/canada geese. I have A 12ga. 870 Wingmaster with a 30" barrel and full choke in 2 3/4".Thanks

Crimson Viking
10-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Depend on what kind of hunting u do. I hunt over decoys (usually fairly close shots) so i use 4's and some times 2's for ducks and 2's or BB for geese. I shoot the same gun as you. I have seen some Federal 3's but haven't tried them. Hope this helps :)

Dano
10-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Depend on what kind of hunting u do. I hunt over decoys (usually fairly close shots) so i use 4's and some times 2's for ducks and 2's or BB for geese. I shoot the same gun as you. I have seen some Federal 3's but haven't tried them. Hope this helps :)

Ditto the shot sizes for me but I use a modified choke and the recommendation from the manufacturers of steel shot is to use modified choke (get your barrel reamed out or choketubes installed. My buddy had Wanstalls in Maple Ridge just do his and it was $75 if I remember correctly).
I have found the winchester HV (high velocity) shells to really work for me, I think Canadian Tire has them on for $12 a box now. Make sure you get the steel shot!.
I shoot 2 3/4" as my gun is a late 1950's Wingmaster (plain jane, bought it off my godfather for $100 when I was eighteen). My buddy Dan has a Remington 11-87 auto (I think that's the model), he shoots 3inch #2 and the feathers really fly off when he makes a solid hit.
Dano

BlacktailStalker
10-13-2005, 01:13 AM
We strictly use BB's or T's here. Our geese are pretty damn big though, feeding on corn crops 2-3 times a day and various stuff in the estuary when they fly out. They put on a ridiculous amount of size over even just a 2 week period.

Freshtracks
10-13-2005, 07:49 AM
CC ... it depends on your shooting conditions. Over decoys I found #3 to be a little better as the first 2 shots followed with a #2 for any going away shots. If you're pass shooting I'd stick with #2 and keep your range to the minimum. Going with an experienced wing shooter can greatly help a beginner in judging what is appropriate pass shooting distances to help avoid 'sky-busting'

For geese I've knocked them down with #1 in close over decoys ... but BB, BBB or T is better IMO ... and if you don't mind the price, Bismuth for pass shooting geese is the route to go.

NEEHAMA
10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I HAVE BEEN BUYING #2 STEEL FEDERAL 12 gauge FOR $8.95 PER BOX!!!!
try SHANE @ 604 874-4710. i had been going to canadian tire for the $12-15 boxes.

as per the honkers i have been usung "t"
shot but i found i need more in my patern. went to bb and i seem to kill more?
possibly more bb's in that long neck?.

BCHunter
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
i use #2's and BB in 3inch