PDA

View Full Version : Wood Arrows-What do you think about these?

pupper
01-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I am new to the Traditional bowhunting game so I am wondering if someone could give me some guidance to figuring out what type of quality these arrows are:

Traditional Hunting Arrows (http://www.successfulhunting.com/2009/01/04/wood-arrows-as-a-gift/)

I received them as a gift yesterday

Onesock
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
What poundage is your bow at your draw length and what spine are the arrows? You won't really know if they are right until you shoot them. Good luck.

pupper
01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
The bow is 55# at 28" draw, I dont have a spine tester.

Chillybilly
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Why don't you go to your local Archrey Shop and ask him? I'm sure he can answer that for ya!

pupper
01-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Good Idea, I will go and talk to Wayne and Big Game Archery

Coyote
01-05-2009, 10:24 PM
the heads ar bear razorheads. They look like the older style from the '60s. Good heads and collectors item

Will
01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Good heads and collectors item
I agree.....I have a few oldies...but mine are missing the bleeders:sad:

Nice set of sticks eitherway! :smile:

pupper
01-06-2009, 12:21 AM
the heads ar bear razorheads. They look like the older style from the '60s. Good heads and collectors item

oh yah, what are they worth?

how heavy do you think they are? its impossible for me to weigh them as they are glue ons

Onesock
01-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Probably 125gr. Heat up the broadheads, unglue, weigh them and glue'em back on to the shafts.

greybark
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
:idea: Hey Pupper , I suggest you post what type and model of bow you have as there can be a up to a 20 lb swing in spine . This swing is due to factors such as bow length , type of limb (ie. wood or carbon) and most important the amount of riser shelf cutout (centershot) .
More in wood and less with carbon arrows .
Rough rule of thumb for spine is up to 10lb lighter for longbows (ENGLISH) and up to 10lb heavier for Recurves. Obviously with the newer hybred longbows the spine range would toughen up .
I like those arrows and your bow will tell you if they are the right spine and weight .
I agree with Onesock they look like 125gr .
Cheers

J_T
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey Pupper, just to follow up on a comment ole Greybark makes. If your bow is relatively new or is close to a centre shot bow, I would recommend a stiff arrow. IMHO

I've always shot woods set to match the spine of my bow. I shifted over to carbons for hunting and noticed how the stiffer shaft flew. I've recently gone to an 80lb spine for my woods and I really think they fly better.

If you are building arrows, keep the grain of your arrows running the same. Right?

PS, you could probably sell those arrows to Cabelas for displays. When I've gone into Cabelas i have to laugh, the stuff they display as antique, "is my gear".

Onesock
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
JT-You could by antique, right?

J_T
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, I'm not much of a trophy, but they could hang me on a wall for all the memories. I'm working on it, fighting the aging process.