PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight

Wild one
01-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I have been shooting a tri peep since I first started shooting and have had the problem of the string getting in the way some times. I am considering breaking down and switching to a new kind of peep but I don't want anything with a rubber band any suggestions. I have also been looking at the hindsight has anyone used one of these before?

Farmer John
01-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Why don't you want the "rubber Band" I've shot with one for a few years now and have never had any problems with it. Give it a shot, its fool proof.

Wild one
01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I have had hunting partners who used them and all had a problem at some time or another do to the band breaking or getting caught on a tree branch and yanking the peep out of the string. I want some thing as reliable as possible because if I hike in I don't want to pack up camp and head down over a band.

Bow Walker
01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Wild one - when you say "tri peep" do you mean the peep from Radical archery Designs? The one that has the string split into three strands to hold the peep?

If so - I'd recommend a Jim Fletcher peep in 1/8" size or larger, also the G5 Meta peep is a good one. Just make sure you get a size that will give you plenty of sight picture during those low light hours of pre-dawn and at dusk.

I've had a Fletcher peep and/or a Specialty Archery peep for years now.

http://www.specialtyarch.com/

http://www.fletcherarchery.com/prd_trupeep.html#

Both have performed well. Having said that, I'm putting a R.A.D. peep aligner, with the rubber tubing, on my hunting bow - just because it's fool proof. Yep, I'mma fool!

A Specialty Archery peep....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Specialty_Archery_peep.jpg

A Fletcher Tru-peep...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Fletcher_Tru-peeps.jpg

Bowzone_Mikey
01-04-2009, 09:55 AM
anyone of the Peeps mentioned above are great ....

I hate rubber peeps and here is why: I have found when Crawling thru the shintang the rubber gets caught ...(I also dont like fallaway rests for this reason ).... the rubber has a tendancy to break at the most in opportune times (aint nothing like drawing on a 194" south Alberta Mulie only to have your rubber break...Yes i am still bitter about that), Rubber peeps slow most bows down a couple feet per second (its like adding 10 grains to your arrow)

That said with a metapeep or alike one must make certain that his string is in good shape, solid and settled before installing ... and can be a time consuming process to install correctly

Wild one
01-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Bowzone have you tried sights that do not involve using a peep as this is the second option I am looking at(the hindsight as I mentioned at the start of this thread).

Bowzone_Mikey
01-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I havent tried the Hindsight but have tried the "No Peep" (you basically set it up where the dot is centered at your anchor point)

Friend of mine uses a really low pin in his sight and a peice of metal attached to his risor ..when that pin is in the hole in the metal he is good to go

I am not really a big fan of No Peeps or alike simply because at weird angles (real life hunting situations..extreme up and down , weird body twists etc...)I feel like I am focusing more upon getting the the dot into the donut than I am on the shot

Wild one
01-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks I think I will stick with a peep I it is that much of a pain

knockturnal
01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
i had originally bought a Hindsight eclipse for my Hoyt Katera. was stoked to get it in the mail and when i went to install it, it woudlnt fit properly. so, after contacting Hindsight they told me i had to purchase a piece that installed onto my slider. after much deliberation, i decided to scrap it cause there was to many parts involved. i currently have a Speciality peep and love it.

Ambush
01-04-2009, 06:41 PM
For hunting, I use a 1/4" G5 meta-Peep. If you have a sight 2" or less in diameter than maybe use a 3/16" G5. I use whatever size allows me to see my whole sight ring. I'm using a Spot-Hogg 7 pin which has a 2 3/8" diameter.

The closer your peep is to your eye, the smaller peep-hole you will need. Short axle bows put the peep father from your eye.

But I think, for hunting, bigger is better.

With the string quality available today, training a peep shouldn't be too difficult.

greybark
01-04-2009, 10:04 PM
:biggrin: Heck just shorten up the rubber to 3 inches and pick up 28 fps .:biggrin:
Cheers