PDA

View Full Version : easy grouse hunting

sneg
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I just want to share my tactic to hunt grouse.May be it would be of any interest to some new hunters. I invite any comments or share your own tactics.
Grouse hunting is fun,it can cheer you up in middle of the day between morning and evening hunt for big game.

Previously I shoot grouse ocassionally. Drive or walk, see the bird, pull my .22 and shoot.If it close, head shot is the best, if not close or somehow shot obstructed than body shot.Quite offten it resulted in lost bird or damaged meat.
I found that more often than not there are much more grouse than what you see in front of you.
If I spot grouse on the road,there will be some feeding birds and some guardian.Feeding bird would feed on small gravel ,while guardian will wach for predators.
But also in close by bush there will be other birds.Most important there will be some chief bird- we call it mama san. Mama san will look at guardian and give orders to other birds in the bush.
Typically grouse disappear way before you see them,thanks to guardian. Guardian gives signal to mama san,which in turn command others to hide. When you shoot feeding bird /guardian mama san still in command.
So,what I do now ? If I see bird on the ground I stop and look for bird in the trees- mama san. It is easy to distinguish which is mama san.It would move much more than others and will be very vocal. I use bino,probably my eye sight is not perfect anymore. Than I shoot mama san. Without her command other birds will seat tight and usually just hide in branches,but will never run or fly away.After the first shot feeding birds/guardian will fly to nearest branch or sit in the grass.Easy target.
I use my 12ga, it has good range and unlike with .22 I can take down bird hiding deep into branches.With bino I do not need to come very close either.If several birds on same tree I start from the bottom and shoot way up bird by bird.
This tactic worked for me most of the time,allow to shoot my day bag limit at one or two locations.
What is your favourite tactic ?

Cheers
Sneg

PS .Sorry,pics somehow small.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/Limited_out_on_grouse.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/grouse_hunting.JPG

mark
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Holy crap! I didnt know that anybody really put any thought into grouse hunting! Ive never had names for any of em either. I usually just see them and start shooting :grin:. Believe it or not, ive seen over a 100 sprucies within 100 yards once! Got 9 of em with sticks and rocks!

Mr. Dean
01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
never thought much about the social roles of grouse but do agree that if one is spotted, theres more in the area that're hiding. Also agree that if you're serious about bag limits, a 12ga will do it in short order. A good retriever will also help.

Th0r
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Thats a cool tactic man. See what happens when you really sit down and analyze stuff. I just shoot em by the road and one time I stumbled on three while hiking and nailed them all. I have never hit a bag limit for grouse, good for you.

goatdancer
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
If you got some fool hens treed, it doesn't really matter how you shoot them. Even on the ground they're not too smart. If you got willows in your sights that's a different story. Most times they won't give you a chance to look for mama-san, they just take off so you have to be fast on the draw. I use a 17 HMR, head shots only, and limited out 4 times this year, plus a few days of 2 or 3 birds. That's riding a quad on old FSRs and trails. It would be nice to have a dog to retrieve them...

thatskindafunny
01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Interesting fact. And I will take this as fact or manner of speaking. Will look for the all mighty mamma san for the first shot. Nothing ventured nothing gained. So I have mentioned before on a thread here somewhere but will mention again..... When you shoot at a grouse and it flys with it's feet down it's a dead bird. Happened when my deer hunting partner got out of the truck and shot at it with the 22. It flew with it's feet down and I said dead bird. They looked at me like I had rocks in my head. I explained how my bird hunting partner's old man had taught me that. He has 70 years + bird hunting experience. So the 2 buddies went over the bank and came back with the grouse. Also a good bird dog knows when a bird is hit. Pheasant took off, we shot, the bird flew, the dog took off, we called and the dog ignored us and 5 minutes later came back and dropped the pheasant at are feet. Oh and we let the old man stay behind us still today to shoot what we miss.

PGK
01-02-2009, 08:32 PM
So I'm not the only crazy one out there! I also developed this idea. Applies mostly in the early season, sept-ish, when the birds are still coveyed up. After Oct I find all the coveys have broken up and I am always into single and doubles, rarely triples. Once I hit upon this, I started getting more than 2 or 3 birds per covey. Shoot the noisiest bird, it's usually a 'sentry'

Chuck
01-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Before the Quad was invented - ya I go back that far, we just walked with a dog or two in the lead. Down a road or trail and soon as they'd scent a bird, into the bush they'd go, flush and tree the bird(s). We could often get the whole covey before they wised up later in the season. Only drawback was if the leaves held on the trees too long - made it harder to spot them. Super smart mama-sans or papa-sans wouldn't tree, but instead took off for parts unknown. These sly birds were probably educated by close calls with Mr. Yote or maybe Goshawks. There once was lots of grouse and areas to hunt them around here, but urban sprawl has eaten up a lot of areas and the abundance of skunks and racoons hasn't helped imo either regarding failed nests.

steelheadSABO
01-02-2009, 10:30 PM
when I c one in the road i shoot it in the head from far away then slowly and quietly walk up to that spot and look in the the bushes for more and shoot as many as i can before they fly away.it gets you at least 2 but somtimes your limit:)or i get my dog to spot them.then i shoot them.

dutchie
01-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah I am really excited to get My German Shorthair pointer, so i can go on a hike after the morning hunt with my dog and my over under and he points, i shoot he retrives!!!

It is a WIN WIN!!

Bow Walker
01-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Sneg - Thanks for the 'tip'. I'll give it a try the next time I'm out there.

sneg
01-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Bow Walker u r welcome.
PGK agree with you that this works best in September October.
Grouse may be fool's hen,but for sure we see them less than we could.
I do not know about grouse social organization,but there must be something.
I never hunted grouse with dog,must be lot of fun.

Ddog
01-03-2009, 05:37 PM
thats a funny read ,,seeing as there is no pecking order in grouse. easy grouse hunting...shoot what you see, always works for me, sometimes some fly away most times they sit and watch each other do the chicken on the ground after the head shot with a 22.

Johnnybear
01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Good post Sneg. I have seen the covies after the shot but never paid much attention to the chatter kind of like on here:razz:. I'll be lookin for mamma san from now on:wink:.

PGK
01-05-2009, 11:09 PM
thats a funny read ,,seeing as there is no pecking order in grouse. easy grouse hunting...shoot what you see, always works for me, sometimes some fly away most times they sit and watch each other do the chicken on the ground after the head shot with a 22.

How do you know this? Explain.

ratherbefishin
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Good point,I remember way back when my friend took me ''proper''grouse hunting--several guys and a couple of dogs, he said to watch for a grouse sitting up on a stump-it was the lookout,the rest were hidden nearby feeding.However, most of my grouse hunting is simply opportunistic-out for a midday walk while moose hunting, potting a grouse on the roadside.Maybe I'll take a little longer now instead of just shooting the first one I see ,then moving on...

Ddog
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
PGK....it is a simple google search, males stay alone in the same area and females wander through many males territories. There is no one "look-out" in grouse, there may be an older more mature bird that is simply the mother bird of several young ones, and they follow their mother, obviously if you shoot the mother, the other birds not knowing any better, stay.
its funny how you may think that one bird because it is sitting somewhere may be a lookout bird and this may be true in other species but not in grouse. when grouse do make it to the roadside it is to pick gravel to help digest the leaves and berries they have eaten. Grouse stay in groups because they are family units.
i have seen thousands of grouse in big groups small groups and singles, so when you find a single bird in a tree or on a stump your saying its the look-out bird? this is just one persons opinion, ever think of why it hasnt been written before? Grouse are simply not that smart.
how many of you have thrown rocks at them and hit them or missed and thrown 2 or 3 more to have them sit there and than get hit after several rocks have gone whizzing past them? last year i got my limit in grouse with a stick, oh ya and all of them were sitting on a branch and i left 3 sitting there. do you think one of those were a "look-out" bird? It is implanted in the birds brains that there are predators that will eat them being low on the food chain, and all grouse "look-out" for the predators. Not one in particular.

ratherbefishin
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
its certainly true of quail-you see one sitting up on a fence post and the rest are all on the ground

Ddog
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
it may be true of quail, like i said, other birds, i dont know about that.
but the post isnt on quail is it ratherbefishin.

PGK
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
He's talking about quail. You're obviously talking about spruce grouse. I'm talking about ruffed grouse. I believe the original poster was talking about ruffies. Funny how that works.....

sneg
01-12-2009, 08:37 AM
My post refer to ruffed grouse mostly. Ddog , certainly I m not pretending to be expert. Nor I m repeating something from experts found on internet. It is my own observation, this find been something new to me , so I posted to see if anybody seen something similar. Not sure about your "ratherbefishin" comments.

Bow Walker
01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
sneg - :wink: good for you for being so observant when potting grouse. 99% of hunters - me included - aren't.:icon_frow

bushpig slayer
01-16-2009, 08:55 AM
funny enough i was deer hunting and came upon a couvey,i just happen to shoot the squacker first and your right they just sat there so i got 5 of them.now it all makes sense why they didn't take off like they usually do.sweet i must of shot the mama san! good call.

BiG Boar
01-16-2009, 09:55 AM
People who think grouse are dumb are not too clever themselves! Grouse are one of the most quick-witted, and smartest, most wiliest foul of all time. Some say even crows and parrots admire grouse! Not only do grouse show mental alertness and calculation, but they are also resourceful! I once had one dive bomb me while laying eggs to try and blind me. Grouse are characterized by quickness and ease in learning. In fact some grouse can beat an 8 year old in a simple IQ test. Next time you go into the woods, respect grouse a little more, a-kay?

Singleshotneeded
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
:smile: Thanks for the post Sneg, I'll be looking for the sentries in September, and shoot "da mamma" first! Very cool of you to analyze that and pass it on!

POPS
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
BEEN "ATTACKED" TWICE WHILE SPRING BEAR HUNTING:roll: TWICE UP BY MT.ARROWSMITH HAVE HAD MALE COME OUT OF THE BUSH, FLAPPING WINGS, PICK AT MY BOOTS AND RUN OFF. PRESUME A NEST WAS NEAR BY. HAPPENED SO FAST I THOUGHT IT WAS A WEASEL!!!!!! POPS:???:

Singleshotneeded
03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
:smile: Wow...hey Pops, what's next out there, Monty Python style killer rabbits?:smile:

FlyFishBC
08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
yeah i noticed that system with grouse, we were in a large field on a mountain in Keremeos and some blue grouse just walked across the open, we shot her, then a cow walked over a small shrub in the field and i kid you not 20-30 something grouse flushed into and beyond the trees. i checked the trees just incase one was left, i came back with one more grouse

solanderdog
08-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for this thread. Any tips as to where a complete newbie/novice/idiot could go for some success . . . when starting out from Delta, BC? I just went through the firearms and Core classes in Summer '08, but I haven't done any hunting yet. It's a bit tough to sort it all out when you're trying to figure it out on your own. I was thinking of just going up to Murphy Lakes, past Hope, where I go fly fishing quite a bit, but I've never seen grouse around there. I'm usually just looking for fish tho'.

08-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for this thread. Any tips as to where a complete newbie/novice/idiot could go for some success . . . when starting out from Delta, BC? I just went through the firearms and Core classes in Summer '08, but I haven't done any hunting yet.

Welcome to the site!! One suggestion would be to join a fish and game club. Reading some of the older threads on here will give you some ideas too. I am sure there would be guys willing to take a new hunter out. If you ever make it the Okanagan, drop me a pm and l would be happy to show you some of our local hills......
As for the grouse, l have done what has been described and when you get the right one, the rest are easy pickings.

300H&H
08-16-2009, 10:43 AM
If I see a male with some females, I will start shooting the females first.
Why ? The male will not leave if females are still around.
Its worked ever time.

hawkdog
08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Interesting tactic. I do a fair amount of grouse hunting with my golden retriever, ruffed grouse mostly. Its good challenge hiking through older (20-30 year) old clearcuts with the dog trying to get them. My dog will flush them but they are hard to find in the evergreens. I am only ever after one or two for dinner never try to limit out. My area is great for hunting as you never know whether you will see a spruce, ruffed or blue. Going to try with the bow this year.

Buck Skin
08-18-2009, 02:40 PM
very very interesting

Buck Skin

Black Bird
08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for this thread. Any tips as to where a complete newbie/novice/idiot could go for some success . . . when starting out from Delta, BC? I just went through the firearms and Core classes in Summer '08, but I haven't done any hunting yet. It's a bit tough to sort it all out when you're trying to figure it out on your own. I was thinking of just going up to Murphy Lakes, past Hope, where I go fly fishing quite a bit, but I've never seen grouse around there. I'm usually just looking for fish tho'.

I am pretty new to this myself. I did my CORE last year and went on one hunting trip. It was a great experience even though I came home empty handed (I saw many deer - just no bucks). On that trip I did come across many grouse. While I did bump into them when hunting in the woods, the most consistent place that I saw them was around mid-day where deciduous trees meet logging road in the sun. They look like rocks on the road until they burst and fly away.

The region where I saw them was 3-29 (north of Kamloops lake) at the end of Oct. I imagine that there will be more there this year too. If I go back to that area to hunt deer again I will be sure to include some time spent looking for grouse as well.

Oh, and thanks for the tips everyone - I sure appreciate it. I think the one that I really need to take up is to join a Rod/Gun club.

Cheers,
BB

sobirch
08-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Here is a tip on how to get "mama san". When I was quite a bit younger and out clearing historic trails between between Hope and Princeton we would often come upon family groups of grouse. I was once able to grab one of the chicks and hold it in my hand and it was peeping like a farm chick, mama was in my face in a heart beat. Since then when ever I am out hunting and come across a group of grouse I try peeping like a chick and it is surprising how often mama comes right to me even if her family is just about full grown. I don't really hunt grouse much anymore since the kids left home but I still call in grouse just laughs. I imagine some people may call BS but give it a try before you ridicule a grouse caller.

bogtrotter
08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I will try this next month and if it works, I'm going to write a book entitled " The Grouse Whisperer" and make a couple of million bucks.

blackbart
09-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Why would you want to shoot a whole covey?

Why the rush to fill your limit and be done for the day?

Why not try to flush them and shoot one on the wing once in awhile? Give it a try, it is fun!

303Brit
09-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Why would you want to shoot a whole covey?

Why the rush to fill your limit and be done for the day?

Why not try to flush them and shoot one on the wing once in awhile? Give it a try, it is fun!

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats while the title of the thread is "easy grouse hunting"

just my 303cents

marco604
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Sneg I would like to thank you for posting what you have learned about grouse hunting. I am a new hunter and have no one to teach me anything about grouse. My main focus as I am new will be grouse in the hope and hopefully okanagan area. Once again thanx

boscheefish
01-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Here is a tip on how to get "mama san". When I was quite a bit younger and out clearing historic trails between between Hope and Princeton we would often come upon family groups of grouse. I was once able to grab one of the chicks and hold it in my hand and it was peeping like a farm chick, mama was in my face in a heart beat. Since then when ever I am out hunting and come across a group of grouse I try peeping like a chick and it is surprising how often mama comes right to me even if her family is just about full grown. I don't really hunt grouse much anymore since the kids left home but I still call in grouse just laughs. I imagine some people may call BS but give it a try before you ridicule a grouse caller.

ive had the same experience!! :)

J-Man
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
My post refer to ruffed grouse mostly. Ddog , certainly I m not pretending to be expert. Nor I m repeating something from experts found on internet. It is my own observation, this find been something new to me , so I posted to see if anybody seen something similar. Not sure about your "ratherbefishin" comments.

I've seen this behavior with ruffed and blues. Never payed attention for a mama san, but groups of ruffed/blues 3 or more we have always seen 1 lookout when we can spot it. We shoot the lookout first, and easy pickings on the rest typically. If you shoot the feeder first, lookout flies and rest follow. Their are always exceptions I'm sure, but like I said for groups of 3 or more seems to apply. Its not hard to shoot grouse, but it always helps to work on your powers of observation before pulling the trigger.

J-Man
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Hey I'm not the only one lol, I found this trick too when I was 13. Dad made fun of me for a few years, but now guess who I hear doing it too.

Livewire322
01-20-2013, 10:16 PM
I've come across many a covey of grouse, never really looked for the "mama san" I'll shoot the first grouse I see as soon as I see it and approach the shot bird slowly with my sights trained on the roadside for other birds.
I have had quite a few times when I have rolled around a corner on my ATV and damn near run over a brood of grouse. At that point its like a shooting gallery, take as many birds as I can before they fly, and then knock em' from there perches.

Sometimes I wont see the grouse until they are right beside the vehicle, in these cases I will drive past them 10 yards and get out and go back and get the bird.

I've never shot a grouse with a 12ga, but I have taken lots with my .410 and more with my 10/22.

walks with deer
04-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Sharptail grouse I have found spookier than most mule deer unless you take out the leader I agree good post. The same id deffenitaly true with geese. Get the first 3 in the v and easy shots follow.

hoochie
05-04-2014, 10:27 PM
last year, whitetail season, I only saw 3 grouse. bagged 2 of um. where do you guys find coveys of them?

Crazygiant
05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks for sharing your methods sneg.

I too have had a similar experience last fall.
I first shot the "Mamma San" and the rest were easy.
There were at least a dozen Grouse just sitting there.
I got my daily bag limit of 5 and enjoyed eating them as well.

As a new hunter, if I could only get a big game animal...

CodyRules
05-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys!

AlexS
10-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Hey guys thanks for the awesome tips. Does anybody know any good spots Harrison Hot Springs.

Brno22F
01-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Observations about Ruffed Grouse

They are almost always in cover or heading deeper into cover.
They are fast and agile in flight
learn how to lead (as in get ahead of them)
Straight away shots are rare.
Stations 1 and 5 on the trap field have been helpful.
Open chokes are best. (I/C or Skeet)
My dog has more fun than I do hunting them.

Faw
09-07-2016, 11:23 PM
I have a nice trail I hunt full of ruffies and spruce. Usually the spruce are on the ground and the ruffed are treed. The "mama-san" is real. If you can find the caller to the covey, the rest are easy. If you shoot a one off the whole covey will take off. That's just what I've seen. I feel it works. They say with grouse, once you "feel" it you are in good country. Heading out this Saturday with the intent of a bag limit, maybe Sunday too.