PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Mallards

motonl93
01-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I have been restricted by space in the freezer so I have always cleaned and used the birds immediately. Does anyone have any recommendations for freezing mallards/geese? How much prep do you do before putting them on ice?

Thanks! Happy New Year!

Mark

Marc
01-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I usually pluck em and gut em and use the vacuum sealer and bag em.

Greenhead
01-01-2009, 01:08 PM
X2 on the sealer! They last way longer.
GH

Tanya
01-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Yup, the "Foodsaver" type machines are worth the cost if you freeze anything. In addition to freezing whole birds you can also breast the ducks *leave the skin on*, and freeze the breasts in one package and the legs in another. Cook the legs long, wet and slow in a crock pot or slowly in the oven or on the stove top. The breasts are the ultimate in fast food. Heat oven to 400. Heat a heavy frying pan, score the skin side of the breasts, season with salt and pepper, or whatever you like. Sear, turn over and put in the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from pan and cover to stand for about 5 minutes. Slice thinly. You can also make a sauce with the pan drippings, add a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, or a little red wine, and a tablespoon or so of syrup, maple or fruit. Makes a great meal if you put the sliced meat over a heap of salad greens and drizzle the warm dressing (drippings and additions) over top.