PDA

View Full Version : Newby Questions

300WinMag
12-28-2008, 01:52 AM
A friend of mine recently gave me permission to hunt his blueberry farm. I have hunted waterfowl only a couple of times.

Is it worth hunting a farm this time of year with the weather we have been getting? I assume that most of the feed is under snow and that the ponds are frozen.

If the ponds on the farm thaw out, would it be worth it with snow still on the ground?

In general, where do the birds go when the ponds freeze up? . . . the ocean. . . further south?

Any recommendations for entry-level goose and duck calls?

What is the minimum number of decoys I should consider using for ducks or geese?

Ian F.
12-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Go see if the birds are using the property, that'll answer most of your questions.

Next, do searches or read back through this forum, that'll get the rest and then some.

Don't forget you need a migratory bird permit, and if it's in the fraser valley, the fraser valley license as well

Ian

behemoth
12-28-2008, 09:26 AM
It depends if there is decent feed at the farm, you should do a pre-hunting day scout to figure out which part of the farm they frequent, then set up there in the dark the next morning.
If geese are flying overhead, setting up some dekes and calling them in should work, if you dont have the gear, location is everything.
Good luck!

sneg
12-29-2008, 09:50 AM
some fields hold birds irrespective of snow level.specially if there some water pounds or canals with water. i drive by some fields in Ladner , hundreds of ducks and geese sitting there and waiting. go and check by yourself. you do not need a lot of decoys. Can have 4 duck decoys for $20 in Canadian tire and basic duck call for $15 to start with. make sure you well hidden. good luck.