PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' Smokies

Fisher-Dude
12-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking about trying my hand at making my own smokies, and perhaps some garlic coil. Has anyone tried smoking them in a Lil Chief fish smoker? Does this unit provide enough heat to cook the smokies so that they are ready to eat? The fish I've smoked always cooks through...of course smokies will likely be thicker.

TIA

Jagermeister
12-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Might be a little bit too cold to do them in a Lil Chief now, but I thought that just smoking them and then canning them is a novel idea. I was telling the son that would be something to try now that he has a setup for making sausage and lots of moose meat to "practice" on. I gave him a pressure canner awhile back and now that I have planted the seed, maybe he'll hop right to it.:-D

Geo.338
12-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I do not think the little chief will give you the heat needed to get the temp .I think around 160 deg F is what you need .

The guys I know that make these either use the Bradley as they are somewhat adjustable or they finish them in the oven after a short smoke in the little chief .

tomahawk
12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
FD..........I use the Big Chief to get the smoke flavour into the sausage, once I've got enough smoke I then transfer them to the oven at 200. Make sure you follow directions as some recipes you need to remove the sausage and cool with cold water immediately. I make single large coils (rings) about 20-24" long and tie them off so that the ends are together and now the total length is about 10-12" and then hang them in the Chief from cedar sticks I make. Then use the same sticks in the oven to hang off the top rack when its placed as high as it will go. Check the internal temp of the sausgae and make sure its not over cooked but it must reach the desired temp (usually 165).

cdub
12-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I smoke i my home made smoker but it needs to be about 160 to cook. Most places only smoke in the flavour then steam them to cook the meat.

srupp
12-28-2008, 12:29 AM
hmmm I smoke them for about 1 hour..checking for COLOR OF CASINGS THEN IN A "WATER BATH " FOR 10 minutes..then IMEDIATLY into ice cold water..

DO you need the temp for the smoker?and water bath???too hot in the water bath will SPLIT the casings and ruin the product.

steven

Fisher-Dude
12-28-2008, 10:09 AM
hmmm I smoke them for about 1 hour..checking for COLOR OF CASINGS THEN IN A "WATER BATH " FOR 10 minutes..then IMEDIATLY into ice cold water..

DO you need the temp for the smoker?and water bath???too hot in the water bath will SPLIT the casings and ruin the product.

steven

I need all the info I can get! :razz:

OOBuck
12-28-2008, 11:07 AM
try this site lots of info..

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/index.php

GoatGuy
12-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Wild game in fish smoker? :roll:

Fisher-Dude
12-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Coming from the guy who got his WHOLE moose made into hamburger by a dumbarse butcher, you should understand my desire to start DIY butchering!

moosehunter12
12-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I use my Big Chief to smoke salmon as well as make pep and other sausages. I have yet to find a smokie recipe that i like. The butcher i use makes the best smokies now if i can only fiqure out how he does it!!

GoatGuy
12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Coming from the guy who got his WHOLE moose made into hamburger by a dumbarse butcher, you should understand my desire to start DIY butchering!

LMAO - It's like McDonalds around here.

It wasn't the whole moose, just most of the trim - got that there communication problem going on.:roll: Lots of trim on a moose with 4 quarters that weigh 600 lbs.

Spaghetti anyone?

Fisher-Dude
12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
LMAO - It's like McDonalds around here.

It wasn't the whole moose, just most of the trim - got that there communication problem going on.:roll: Lots of trim on a moose with 4 quarters that weigh 600 lbs.

Spaghetti anyone?

Maybe these phrases will help next time GG:

Das ist nicht, was ich bestellt habe! (That's not what I ordered!)

Ich glaube, da ist ein Fehler in der Rechnung! (I think there is a mistake in the bill!)

$1200 to turn a moose into burger! Mein Gott!

Jagermeister
12-28-2008, 06:32 PM

$1200 to turn moose into burger? Holy Crap! I'd do it for you for $900 or better still, you could have got the meat grinder yourself and saved a wad of money!:D

GoatGuy
12-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Maybe these phrases will help next time GG:

Das ist nicht, was ich bestellt habe! (That's not what I ordered!)

Ich glaube, da ist ein Fehler in der Rechnung! (I think there is a mistake in the bill!)

Sure, sounds good.

Think we'll just go back to doing things the way we used to.

srupp
12-29-2008, 06:43 PM
hmmm some info on smokies..

1)casings filled firm but NOT hard..will split..
2)soak casings for 24 hours PRIOR to making sausages..use "cool water"
3)smoker temp is between 175-180 F degrees... for approx 1 hour..I go by color of casings..nice orange red..
4) water bath is 146 degrees F..no hotter ! 64 Degrees CELSIUS

smokies are baically a beer sausage recipe smoked..

CHEERS

Steven

goatdancer
12-30-2008, 12:55 PM

How else do you make jerky?????

srupp
01-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I too am looking for a second smokies recipe....:shock:...would be willing to share another recipe....

Steven

Steeleco
01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Since I got a Bradley from Santa last week, I'm keen to try lots of things, but I'm going to try some commercial mixes I got from Stuffers first.

But why soak the casings for so long? Does that make them less likely to split on the BBQ?

srupp
01-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Steelco ..its for the filling of the sausage...I use a small "casing poke" looks like 6 needles at the end of a small stick to let the air out of the filled sausage before it heads off to be cooled or smoked..

Steven