PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead tuning?

Trailmaster
12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok so I have read that you are to line your fixed blades to the vains on the arrow, how do I do that with a 4 blade?

Bowzone_Mikey
12-23-2008, 12:05 PM
that is an old Wives tale ... Its actually more important to have the same angle of attack on your Vanes as your BHs ie: if you BHs have a 3 degree angle then so should your vanes ...otherwise they just fight each other for rate of spin

Bow Walker
12-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I've found that having the arrow shafts fit exacty with the inserts - and then having the inserts fit exactly with the broadheads workd best for me. Everything has to be square with the thrust axis of the arrow.

Then.......spin test each completed arrow broadhead combination to make sure that they spin with NO discernable wobble - either at the business end, or at the nock end.

Do this and your arrows should fly "true". I've managed to shoot 16 oz. plastic soft drink bottles at 50 yards doing it this way. And....hitting those bottles consistently. The arrows flew straight and with no porpoising or fishtailing.

Oh yeah, I'm an anal arrow builder.

pupper
12-31-2008, 10:24 AM
if you have 4 blades you cant do that, unless you try 4 vanes.
here is how I tune broadheads (http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Broadhead_Tuning_Tips).

Bow Walker
01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
If after all of the above you still can't get them to fly right - check your "center shot" alignment. If its not spot-on, then how in the heck are you gonna be able to shoot straight?