PDA

View Full Version : Arrow recommendations

zedex
12-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Ok. You guys are an infinite knowledge base so my question is, what hunting arrows should i buy and what length. My draw is 28.5. Should i buy arrows that the tip just clears the arrow rest? Or longer? So i will be target shooting(practicing) and hunting with these arrows. No 3d. I am interested in good quality arrows that will hopefully last a fair amount of time. Some of you build your own arrows and that would be my first choice since im pretty anal about my stuff. Im open to any and all suggestions .
Thanks.:-D

willyqbc
12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
need a bunch more info Zedex

compound or trad??
release aid or finger release??
draw weight?

Throw that info out there and I'm sure we can give you some good suggestions.

Chris

zedex
12-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi. Compound, mechanical release,60 to 70 lbs but will probably remain at around 60.

BC4Bowhunter
12-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Gold tip XT hunters 5575 are really good choice and are pretty tough and another choice would be maybe Carbon force STL hunters 300. I would recommend to have the arrow extend just past the riser. Thats going by the set up you have in your anchor point post pic.

zedex
12-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Excellent. Thanks.

Ddog
12-21-2008, 04:03 PM
theres more to it than anyone can recommend. especially when it comes to arrow length.
being pretty anal about it is a good thing, knowing how long to make your arrows are as important as choosing your arrows. being to long to post,, try this website,its a good one to answer your questions:http://www.accuratearchery.com/arrow_selection.htm

mntbowhunter
12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I think Easton Axis are by far the best arrow out there. They are thin making them tough because they are thick walled. I would also recomend getting 340s and put blazer vanes on them. There are a lot of good choices out there though

willyqbc
12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I too am a goldtip fan, I have found them to be tough as nails.... however my choice for your specs would be to go with the 7595's over the 5575's for hunting for a couple reasons. 60lbs, 29 inch arrow with a 100 grain tip spines properly for the 5575 but it is right on the border of stepping up a spine so if you choose to go up in draw weight or use a longer arrow to get your broadhead out front of the riser you will end up underspined. I also like to go a bit stiff on my hunting arrows as I feel they penetrate better by staying "straighter" in flight and upon impact. A "soft" spine or "whippy" arrow is often quite inneficient. The other reason I would choose the 7595 is simply to give you a little more weight to your arrow. A 7595 at 30" with a 100 grain broadhead will come in about 410-415 grns with a 10-11% F.O.C. and will give you the flexibility to shoot that arrow anywhere from 60-70 lbs and still be properly spined.

Just my opinion
Chris

Bow Walker
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I'll third the Gold Tip shafts - with enthusiasm! There's a caveat though (isn't there always?). I'll explain in a minute.....

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/zedex/anchorpoint2.jpg

Gold tip XT hunters 5575 are really good choice and are pretty tough and another choice would be maybe Carbon force STL hunters 300. I would recommend to have the arrow extend just past the riser. Thats going by the set up you have in your anchor point post pic.

Going by the setup in the pic, it appears as if you have a dropaway arrow rest. Usually these types of rests act the same as the old-style overdraws, in that the dropaway rest is setup behind the riser, allowing you to use a shorter (lighter, stiffer) arrow shaft.

Having said that, it would be perfectly OK to use the 5575's cut so that the end of the arrow (only the insert - not the broadhead or practice tip) protrudes about 1/2 inch past the rest.

Cutting the 5575's short so that they stick out just past your rest - rather than the riser - does two significant things.

1. The 5575's are a lighter grain-per-inch than the 7595's...so you'd end up with a light, faster arrow.

2. Cutting the 5575's in the way suggested will stiffen the spine so that you'll also have the benefit of a hunting shaft as described by willyqbc.

I, too, am very anal about my equipment, my overall setup (both target and hunting) and building my own arrows. Some hunters want the heavier, slower, shaft. I prefer a slightly lighter, faster, and (I believe) harder hitting arrow.

Whichever way you go, you won't find a better arrow shaft than the Gold Tip ones.

zedex
12-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Ddog. Great read. Thank you. I will probably go with the 5575s. I doubt i will increase my draw weight plus i plan on having my arrows an inch or so past my rest which will be about a 29" arrow. If i decide to change things up i am sure those arrows will be completely and utterly destroyed by then and i will know what i want next time.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

zedex
12-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Bow Walker. You must have some seriously good vision to be able to see what style rest im using although the string probably gives it away.:smile:

Bow Walker
12-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Nah, just been playing around with sticks n' strings for a while.......

Bowzone_Mikey
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi. Compound, mechanical release,60 to 70 lbs but will probably remain at around 60.

Based upon these I would use Easton Epics or Axis 400s good to about 65 pounds draw weight ...other wise go to a 340 series (Fairly cheap and proven tough) cut at 29" with a 100 grain head 2" blazer Vanes

Bowzone_Mikey
12-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Bow Walker. You must have some seriously good vision to be able to see what style rest im using although the string probably gives it away.:smile:

he is old ... and has no Vision ... but has a mastery of the Force ... when 900 years old you reach ...yada yada yada
:p:p:p

Bow Walker
12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Well, I've thought long and hard about a 'comeback' to BZM (this thinking is obviously done betwen naps and sips from my Geritol bottle). What've I got to say for myself? Best I can come up with is "Oh, yeah?!?"

pupper
12-31-2008, 10:27 AM
I agree, Gold Tip XT hunters will do the job just fine, get the 5575 spine for your set up. I have had good success with them, here is a review on Gold Tip Hunting Arrows. (http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Gold_Tip_Arrows)

zedex
01-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone familiar with gold tip "vapor" arrows? I was inquiring about the XT arrows and the guy was saying "the vapors" are alot lighter . I will have to order the xts as none are available as far as i know in this one horse town.Both shops in Kelowna didn't have any either.:roll:

Bow Walker
01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Order them thru BZMikey - he'll not only get you the right stuff, he'll get you a hellova deal as well. What's not to like??

oldtimer
01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
follow Dan's advice. Even though BZ Mikey is extremely young and not schooled in the ways of the world he can help you with your arrows. Mike

Bow Walker
01-02-2009, 07:43 PM
heh, heh, heh..............so true!

Bowzone_Mikey
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
True I am but a young learner in comaprison to the plethera of worldly expiriance of you 2 ....
by the way....
Can you guys tell me what it was like watching those 3 guys act as mid-wives in that barn in that desert all those years ago:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Zed.... if you want send me a PM a PM and i can see what i can do for you .... I am glad to help anyway I can

Bow Walker
01-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Now Mike - first off, it wasn't a "barn", it was a "stable". Big difference.

Secondly, there were four guys there - 3 supposedly wise-guys (from da mob) and poor ol' Joseph - who was wondering "What in the hell is an immaculate conception anyway?!?" "Wasn't it good for you?!?"

But, all in all, a good comeback.

oldtimer
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
roflmao.. not bad for a youngster

zedex
01-02-2009, 08:37 PM
lol. Alrighty then.:smile: Check your pm box mikey.