PDA

View Full Version : Racing River truck wash

goatdancer
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Here's how you wash a truck in the far north...

Orangethunder
12-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Great for the environment! Congrats to the idiot driving, not only did you do something stupid but you took a picture. Cull.

goatdancer
12-20-2008, 03:22 PM
That is a sanctioned river crossing used by many people. It wasn't done for the hell of it.

Caveman
12-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Sanctioned by who!!! DFO and the MOE would likely look at it differently, and I'd be surprised if it came from them. Fish habitat and leaking oils don't mix. If you were found doing that around here there would be S*it to pay.

Johnny G1
12-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Sanctioned by who!!! DFO and the MOE would likely look at it differently, and I'd be surprised if it came from them. Fish habitat and leaking oils don't mix. If you were found doing that around here there would be S*it to pay.
Give us a break there is more oil and shit flowing down the storm sewer,s everywhere, and any ways it,s a Chev and they don't leak oil. Have a Very Merry Christmas to you all.

goatdancer
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Caveman

The maps were MOE showing it as a vehicular access. The other people who crossed before us thought it was approved. I'm trying to verify if it is OK or not. I think the new laws instituted this year make all kinds of things illegal that were ok before. Either way, I'd never do that again cause it scared the crap out of me. It appears my topic heading was not suitable.
Apologies to all.

ultramagbob
12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Ive seen loaders,cats,excavators and large dump trucks cross there for the mine.Before you flame the guy you should know where it is

mud-dog27
12-20-2008, 05:51 PM
what the hell theres all this pissin and moanin but no link what is every one whinin about i wanna see

Caveman
12-20-2008, 06:26 PM
All I'm saying is that for me to send one of our backhoes even on the shoreline of a river, I have to get clearance from DFO and MOE as well as ensure that there are no leaks on the machine. This is not even at the waterline.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Common on that river.

Pray for low water...and that it stays low once you're across.

SSS

Muleycatcher
12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
where's the link??

Bighorn hunter
12-20-2008, 08:39 PM
where's the link??

...Ditto...

Ddog
12-20-2008, 08:50 PM
lets flame someone for taking the link away..

proguide66
12-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Ive seen loaders,cats,excavators and large dump trucks cross there for the mine.Before you flame the guy you should know where it is
I cant see any pic...but the only truck crossing I'm familiar with is across Macdonald....this what you mean?...then carries on south west , crosses one more...then hits the racing.....no motor vehicle access up at that point....

tinhorse
12-20-2008, 09:03 PM
there used to be a bridge but they took it out.

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Got this reply from the M-KAB Secritariat.
"Yes you can drive those vehicles that meet the regulation across the rivers and streams. We encourage all to do so safely (rivers can rise rapidly in the M-K) and minimize the travel to the best you can when crossing waterways to minimize environmental impacts."

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure if I want to repost the link because of all the BS attitude I got from people who didn't know the regulations. I made a big effort to check into the vehicular access zones before going up there, including spending almost $200 on maps. Maybe some of the holier-than-thous should do the same before beaking off.

ruger#1
12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Thats just great , I have never seen any BS attitude on this site. LMAO

308BAR
12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's how you wash a truck in the far north...

Anyone else feel like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Where's the link or pics???? :mad:

ultramagbob
12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Thats just great , I have never seen any BS attitude on this site. LMAO

Even though Im new here Im afriad to post anything hunting related..for I fear I will be singled out and belittled

ruger#1
12-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Bob you just have to take some things on here with a grain of salt.

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
God hates a coward. Besides, I'm pretty thick skinned.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/goatdancer/Wettruck.jpg

ryanb
12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Did you have a winch line hooked up before you crossed? That's nuts, weren't you afraid you'd be swept downriver?

308BAR
12-22-2008, 04:03 PM
God hates a coward. Besides, I'm pretty thick skinned.

Thanks for reposting it, that is a pretty spectacular, getting stuck would suck.

You've done your home work on this, so let the nay sayers eat their own words. :twisted:

Ddog
12-22-2008, 04:04 PM
if thats a picture of the "truckwash" WTF is the big deal? looks like a riot!!
although i wouldnt have the balls to do that.

proguide66
12-22-2008, 04:09 PM
That most deffinitely looks like Macdonald creek.....have drug a stock trailer wedged full of ponies over that sucker a few times for guideing. I dont think there is any vehicle crossing of the Racing.

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
It was more of a 'holy crap' on the sphinctometer scale. The water didn't look that deep but once in, it was too late to change my mind. Good thing was, the bottom is pretty solid there. No winch. Sometimes things just work out allright. I don't ever want to do that again, that's for sure.

ruger#1
12-22-2008, 04:16 PM
We had to do the pine river that way in November, The only way to get to guide camp. Guy behind us had a long box. He said he could feel the back of the truck starting to drift.

Caveman
12-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure if I want to repost the link because of all the BS attitude I got from people who didn't know the regulations. I made a big effort to check into the vehicular access zones before going up there, including spending almost $200 on maps. Maybe some of the holier-than-thous should do the same before beaking off.

goatdancer, my posts weren't to be BS attitude, more to point out the red tape we have to go through to do anything around a watershed, and the crap that would be brought down on the operator/owner or who ever was caught doing it. Yes, it looks cool and I too have had the opportunity to do much the same and never gave it a thought. But work related, I have to have this in the back of mind all the time before our crews undertake any such crossings, or work. I have less distaste for this kind of activity than the guys that go mug bogging in parkland or other sensitive areas and screw the access up for everyone else. Cheers!

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 04:31 PM
caveman

No offense meant for your work related issues. I'm familiar with all the red tape required for guys like you. I think that's what the guy meant in the reply I got. The only reason I crossed there was to try get closer to what I thought was sheep country.
After thinking about it, I think it was the McDonald crossing. The 'bridge' over the Racing further on was scary just to try walk on.

whitetailsheds
12-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Been a few years, but that kinda looks like where you would cross the Racing once you had come to the end of the Churchill Mine Rd. Where the Wokkpash empties into the Racing? In any case, yes she looks like a higher "pucker" factor....

bigwhiteys
12-22-2008, 05:19 PM
That most deffinitely looks like Macdonald creek.....have drug a stock trailer wedged full of ponies over that sucker a few times for guideing. I dont think there is any vehicle crossing of the Racing.

There are plenty of guys crossing the racing river during low water in trucks and quads. We could have done it this sept. but stopped short and had a little campfire lunch just out messing around.

Guys have been riding quads all over the hillsides there...

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/racing1.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/racing2.jpg

Carl

goatdancer
12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
There are plenty of guys crossing the racing river during low water in trucks and quads. We could have done it this sept. but stopped short and had a little campfire lunch just out messing around.

Carl

At that point the road is only open to vehicles under 500kg so most pickups aren't allowed there. The trail that heads to where the quad tracks are is closed to all vehicles, except snowmobiles in the winter. We noticed all the quad tracks too.

Trailmaster
12-22-2008, 05:30 PM
The west harrison main line has two creek crossings on it, I was shocked as hell to be driving a loaded truck down that road, but I was told they left it that way, every time they fixed it it would was out agin, and it did less damage by use driving throgh it

Kitimat Killer
12-22-2008, 05:39 PM
i was thinking about going to that area this comming fall and was looking into the river crossing but after that pic i know i won't be taking my truck through it thanks for the pics i know even in the new B.C back road maps book it tells you that you can cross the river with trucks

proguide66
12-22-2008, 06:06 PM

Carl

Ah yes , unmistakable now!.....I have only ridden along the west side on horseback...once went up river from the road ,on a quad , ( east side) along the quad trail..crossed short of the mine ( with permission from moe) to get a wounded cook.
Take note.....although it looks remote and tempting to go up river on a quad there ( as lots seem to do)..the local outfitters PREY on resident hunters from the air !......( I distance myself from the outfitter/resident crap)...but sadly it goes on and on...

T300WSM
12-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Hey Orangethunder, take it easy......do I need to remind you of the Mahood river........lol......I have crossed rivers in the past and the water was running over the hood and it got a bit wet in the cab also, one day I had a DFO officer with me. I seen just how far you can bend the rules when you hunt, fish and gold pan with a DFO officer.

mud-dog27
12-22-2008, 11:03 PM
nice....surprised a chevy made it(j/k)

the way people were gettin all bent outta shape i figured this guy was tearing up some sacred river bed......some people just need to relax as their leaky ass vehicles do more damage sittin on the street leakin oil down the drains

uraarchr
12-29-2008, 10:13 AM
i pulled up to the same crossing just over 10 yrs ago;on the same truck.chev silverado shortbox .chikened out.have always wondered what was down that road.but we spent a couple days there with my buddy eating stone sheep shishkebabs.if we didnt have the sheep we probably would have "tried "the crossing.the next year three of us hiked up the valley to the left to the lake.nice country.can anyone tell me what the country is like past the river crossing?thanks.

sneg
01-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Just wonder when picture was taken? I would assume in August-September water level should be quite low. if no heavy rain the level should be quite steady at that time of the year ?

goatdancer
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
i pulled up to the same crossing just over 10 yrs ago;on the same truck.chev silverado shortbox .chikened out.have always wondered what was down that road.but we spent a couple days there with my buddy eating stone sheep shishkebabs.if we didnt have the sheep we probably would have "tried "the crossing.the next year three of us hiked up the valley to the left to the lake.nice country.can anyone tell me what the country is like past the river crossing?thanks.

Probably about 15 km before you run out of pickup driving road. Nice country, didn't see any sheep but did see some bous. The Racing River
is the next crossing. ATV only past that point. Read the posts on this link re the G/O problems further down the trail. We were there in late September and the water seemed fairly high. The levels could change in a flash and what was a manageable crossing could become a raging torrent and leave you on the wrong side until it drops again.

sneg
01-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks, goatdancer. I m just considering to go there for GOS to find moose /elk. Was not sure if could make thru river crossing on truck with stock tires. Now even less sure.

goatdancer
01-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks, goatdancer. I m just considering to go there for GOS to find moose /elk. Was not sure if could make thru river crossing on truck with stock tires. Now even less sure.

You could probably find better places for elk and moose. Vehicular access there is limited to 400m from the road. Once you hit the Racing, it's 10m only. It'll be a grunt pack if you bag a big critter. All the guys we talked to in that area were looking for sheep.
We didn't have any fancy big tires, just stock. Can't say as I'd ever do it again there, unless the water was really low.

eastkoot
01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Even though Im new here Im afriad to post anything hunting related..for I fear I will be singled out and belittled
Well, it's not the KECHIKA river for sure, it is the Mcdonald.. Have a picture of an f250 Furd in the same predicament. PS make sure your hubs are not locked in and turn them out of 4WD before crossing this spot (funny story)..Some nice swamps and boggy "moose" country and some caribou flats on the other side..