PDA

View Full Version : Tur-duc-hen!!

David Heitsman
12-19-2008, 11:16 PM
OK so it's not really a Wild Game recipe but I have just had one delivered in from Cabelas today and I look forward to preparing it for Christmas
this year.

A tur-duc-hen is a 15# concoction of a deboned turkey stuffed with a deboned chicken which is stuffed with duck breast which is stuffed with jalapeno cornbread dressing. I'm looking forward to cooking it next week.
I may cook it in my Bradley smoker. It depends on how cold it is outside.
Not sure of I can get 275 degrees out of the Bradley when it's -8 outside.

I'll give a report. Has anyone else played with one of these?

jeeper
12-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Ive only heard about them , and thought of doing it !

Definatley Low and Slow on the heat , so you dont overcook and dry out the outside while leavin the inside not cooked !

Id be trying for 200 degree oven , and for a long time , Im sure there are charts online for the timing !

Im looking forward to the report :)

Bruce

Gateholio
12-20-2008, 01:58 AM
David
I have never made or cooked a turducken, but I've done lots of stuffed animals..I certainly know what a turducken is, though...:smile:

With temperatures so low, I'd personally be hesitant to use the smoker (especially if it is a Little Chief style smoker, as they have little insulation)

Frankly, I'd just follow the instructions they have with it!!:smile:

Gateholio
12-20-2008, 02:12 AM
Something tells me you are more of a Bradley smoker type, though:razz:

Might make a difference, but even top quality smokers are hard to regulate heat in real cold temps.

David Heitsman
12-20-2008, 08:05 PM
The convection oven will do just fine. Might start and finish it with a little smoke for flavour and colour at least on the outside.

The Bradleys hold temp pretty good as they are electrically heated and not reliant on combustion at all for heat. Their is an electrode like in an oven that heats it up and their is another electrified plate that heats up and smoulders the compressed sawdust (pucks). An advancing system slides the charred puck into water for immediate dousing and then another one starts to smoulder in its place on the heated surface.

I haven't quite mastered it as it takes more time than my ADHD mind can handle.

tomahawk
12-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Let us know how it turns out, sounds interesting and certainly lots of fowl to chew on!

Jagermeister
12-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Something tells me you are more of a Bradley smoker type, though:razz:.....................

Woke up eh?:razz::razz::razz:

Charlie
12-20-2008, 10:10 PM
They are great! I hope you enjoy it. We ordered one a couple years ago and deep fried it.

Tasty!

sawmill
12-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Great way to make somthing special.I did it last year and got a lot of good advice from the people here.It is an assload of work to de-bone a turkey,chicken and duck and the trick is to make sure the turkey still looks like a turkey when you sew it all together.I put a layer of dressing between each bird and cooked th whole works at 300 for 5 hours.
Smoking it for flavour is a great idea but to be safe you should use the oven, and when it comes out and all the family see you carve it crossways instead of down the breastbone and it is layers of white meat,dressing ,dark meat dressing........Pricesless.After last Christmas I am the King of Christmas cooking.Now I have to think of something new before thursday:biggrin:Maybe a bear stuffed White Tail....Hmmmmmmmm now I gotta figure out haw to make the deer stand still that long.:sad: