PDA

View Full Version : Nock Point

The Hermit
12-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I recently received my new custom made longbow. It came with a Dacron string and unfortunately has a LOT of hand shock so I'm trying to tune it in.

I bought a fast flight string for it and realized I'm not sure where to position the nock point? I have a bow square. Should the nock be 1/4 inch above level?

Jagermeister
12-19-2008, 09:21 PM
This should do you.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/ton/tie.html

Bow Walker
12-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Bill, my understanding of nocking points on Traditional equipment is minimal (I'm the first to admit that its so) but I believe the nocking point should form a right-angle between arrow and string, whent he arrow is nocked.

Of course it depends whether or not you're shooting from a rest or "off-the-shelf, so to speak, but nock an arrow and make it form a 90-degree angle with the string.

As for hand shock - try either 'cat whiskers' or 'fleece whiskers' on/in the string.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

Coyote
12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Bill Start about 5/8 or 3/4 inch and work down from there. It will probably be too high to start with but it depends on a lot of things including your shooting form. Somewhere around 3/8" you should begin to notice the arrow not porpoising. Be careful, if you go to low the arrow will bounce off the shelf and give the illusion of a nocking point too high.

Email me if you need more info

Gord

Bow Walker
12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
If what Coyote says is true - then I stand corrected and I appreciate the opportunity to learn something more about archery. Thanks.

The Hermit
12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, the new fast flight string, silencers, limb savers, and the nocking point at 3/8 seems to be working pretty well! Next time I'm at a shoot I'll bring this ne along and see what the experts have to say!

My goal this year is to attend at least five 3-D shoots and to at least once be within 25 points of OneSock! Gak what have I started???

Onesock
12-24-2008, 10:32 AM
What the Coyote says is true!!! At least thats what he tells me.

Will
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, the new fast flight string, silencers, limb savers, and the nocking point at 3/8 seems to be working pretty well!
Glad you gat her pinched on thier and it's working for you !
Sounds Like a Nice setup !:smile: