PDA

View Full Version : Out Of Country Hunting Questions

proguide66
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Anyone gone to New Zealand to hunt and brought back trophies?....I am going down there with bow and gun to hunt for over a month . I wont be using an outfitter due to having freinds there. Anyone know what it takes to get trophies home?...how about taking a gun out of/back into Canada...fortunately , I have the VERY simple instructions for getting a gun IN to NZ.....help will be rewarded with locations to Gate's hunting spots.

gamehunter6o
12-19-2008, 01:48 AM
You will find traveling with a firearm (hunting type) is very easy if you comply with the requirements of all the different agencies involved.
First contact your own RCMP firearm division. You may need a permit to export then import your firearm. Next go on line to New Zealand Police and click on firearms. It seems quite straight forward from there, you apply for a Visitors Firearms Licence (T licence) and apply to the Airport Police for a Permit to Import. Click on approved for import.
Traveling on an aircraft you must have the firearm (bolt removed) in one piece of checked (hold) luggage, and your bolt and ammo in a secound piece of luggage. I would recommend a hard case for your rifle.
I travel Air NZs direct 14hr flight Auckland- Vancouver and this does away with going through LA and US Customs.
Air NZ requested this year that the ammo be in a lockable container.
I bought a light steel cash box which took a 7mm mag bolt and 30 rounds in the plastic holders.
At Auckland your rifle will be delivered to the Airport Police next to luggage pickup and in Vancouver will come out with the large and fragiles.
Photo copy all relevant paper work and keep separate.
If you want to shoot a deer in NZ, I'll give you a spot.
Anywhere in the eye.:lol: Good luck.

bighornbob
12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I know Air Canada charges 100 dollars each way for the gun, even if thats your only piece of luggage. So I would avoid them if possible to save a couple hundred.

BHB

proguide66
12-19-2008, 10:21 AM
You will find traveling with a firearm (hunting type) is very easy if you comply with the requirements of all the different agencies involved.
First contact your own RCMP firearm division. You may need a permit to export then import your firearm. Next go on line to New Zealand Police and click on firearms. It seems quite straight forward from there, you apply for a Visitors Firearms Licence (T licence) and apply to the Airport Police for a Permit to Import. Click on approved for import.
Traveling on an aircraft you must have the firearm (bolt removed) in one piece of checked (hold) luggage, and your bolt and ammo in a secound piece of luggage. I would recommend a hard case for your rifle.
I travel Air NZs direct 14hr flight Auckland- Vancouver and this does away with going through LA and US Customs.
Air NZ requested this year that the ammo be in a lockable container.
I bought a light steel cash box which took a 7mm mag bolt and 30 rounds in the plastic holders.
At Auckland your rifle will be delivered to the Airport Police next to luggage pickup and in Vancouver will come out with the large and fragiles.
Photo copy all relevant paper work and keep separate.
If you want to shoot a deer in NZ, I'll give you a spot.
Anywhere in the eye.:lol: Good luck.

Thanks for the info.......funny , all I had to do on the NZ side was download one form, send it to the NZ police.....
I will be hunting 3 private "stations" near 'Wanaka'...cant wait , sounds like fun....I'm going to try and stick an arrow in all the species...and as well bring my 243!!
Cheers

cwocarsten
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Just curious. Many years ago my buddy was coming this way from Alta to hunt and they would not let him have bullets in his luggage (no it was not his carry on). Has that changed now/

proguide66
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Just curious. Many years ago my buddy was coming this way from Alta to hunt and they would not let him have bullets in his luggage (no it was not his carry on). Has that changed now/

I think its only on carry - on ??..........

also , here's one --- years ago some hunters form up state new york came for a hutn with us...'someone' stole their bolts to their rifles between the time they checked their guns..to the time they picked them up at the end of the flight!:shock:...it was a domestic us flight , they figured anti-hunter airport employees:evil:

gamehunter6o
12-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Proguide66, there is no charge with Air NZ, but you must notify them that you are carrying a firearm and ammo. A phone call will do and arrive early to check in, it helps. Leaving Auckland last August, I struck a trainee check in woman who was totally green when it came to checking in firearms. Check in early.

proguide66
12-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Proguide66, there is no charge with Air NZ, but you must notify them that you are carrying a firearm and ammo. A phone call will do and arrive early to check in, it helps. Leaving Auckland last August, I struck a trainee check in woman who was totally green when it came to checking in firearms. Check in early.

Thanks Bro !!

I downloaded the NZ form...looks easy. Fortunately one of the freinds down there is a cop as well...should help on that end if anything gets questionable....too bad it isnt so simple in canada.