PDA

View Full Version : Bartell Grouse Linguine

todbartell
12-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Put pot of water on to boil for Linguine, use lots of salt, you are supposed to.

meanwhile, rip pre-cooked (roasted) grouse meat from bones

When water comes to boil, add your Linguine, and put on a frying pan or pot to heat up, add olive oil
when the oil is hot, (but not smoking hot!!) add some basil, oregano

Just let those simmer for a bit, the heat will release some flavor. Use a few ounces of olive oil, not a cup!!

Then throw in canned tomatoes, stir and smash up, stir your pasta, turn tomato sauce on medium low, just simmer. Let them cook a bit and keep smashing them, so they get saucy

add your grouse

strain your pasta, keep a bit of the water

add the pasta to the tomato and chicken sauce
(you should have the sauce in a BIG fry pan or pot)

stir it up, if it gets too dry, add a bit of the pasta water
season with salt, pepepr, hot sauce
if you need to add more herbs, do so

add parmesan, mix it all up. put some garlic powder in when you add the tomoates
kep tasting the saucce, adjust to your liking
go SLOW with hot sauce and salt!!

you are done!!!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Dec%2018%20010.jpg

Will
12-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Somebodies been watching Jamie Oliver again ! :tongue:

Actually I do a very similar dish but I made mine much more sophisticated by using Mr Noodles :lol:

Gateholio
12-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Well done, my apprentice!!

I particularly like the way you used a square, black serving platter. Very Nouveau'
:p

Dirty
12-18-2008, 10:53 PM
WOW! That looks super.

rishu_pepper
12-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Send a plate this way.

todbartell
12-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Send a plate this way.

you could sub in coyote for grouse if you'd like :smile:

proguide66
12-19-2008, 10:12 PM
wow...that looks great....crazy though , it looks JUST like the recipe I use for CHICKEN !!!!!..........when I use grouse its usually darker meat than that:shock:

blackwater
12-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Stop shooting spruce grouse and it won't be so dark.

betteroffishing
12-20-2008, 09:01 AM
not to hijack the tread but you just sparked a question i never got answered. 2 seasons ago i took 4 grouse total, 2 were dark red meat, 2 were pale . explain??

Bow Walker
12-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Obviously they were doing some recipe trading (among other things) in that tent when they were 'flattop' hunting.

Looking good bud........

ianwuzhere
12-20-2008, 10:11 AM
looks delicious- i want some now!

Will
12-20-2008, 02:04 PM
not to hijack the tread but you just sparked a question i never got answered. 2 seasons ago i took 4 grouse total, 2 were dark red meat, 2 were pale . explain??
I taken many grouse...sometimes two I've taken side by side have very different shade to the breast meat as you say.

I would think it's mostly diet related......they all taste the same though:smile:

newhunterette
12-20-2008, 02:34 PM
very nicely done - glad to see more pictures being added as well

sounds delicious and creative

Mr. Dean
12-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I taken many grouse...sometimes two I've taken side by side have very different shade to the breast meat as you say.

I would think it's mostly diet related......they all taste the same though:smile:

I find the darkies to be somewhat stronger in flavour too. I normally 'cull' these and use in curry's or other spicy dishes.

Nice-n-simple, Bartel. Basic is best IMO.

blackwater
12-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Well, just in case there is some confusion...

3 main grouse you will see while hunting: Blue, Willow/Ruffed, Spruce/Franklin. Willows tend to be a bit whiter meat - Spruce tend to be dark and strong. Young Blues are nice, old ones can be tough. A few Willows can make an awesome tailgate fryup if you cut the breast up chicken-finger style and bread them in some shake and bake. My brother and I did that one season...we had all three kinds and had a taste test...Willows win.

jessbennett
12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
ruffed grouse: white meat, quite similar to chicken
spruce/frankilin: dark meat, tastes very strong, often like pine needles
sharptail: dark meat also, much better than spruce hens, also stronger than ruffed
blue: similar to ruffed, but as said larger older birds can be like chewing rubber.

Salty
12-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Sounds pretty dandy Chez Bartell :cool:

But loose the garlic powder. Very 1970s :razz: Real garlic rocks - I cheat and buy big jars of crushed garlic and keep it on the go in the fridge, just as fast as powder but way better. ..