PDA

View Full Version : Anchor point?

zedex
12-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi. I will be starting hunting with a bow next year but am looking for info on anchor points. Is there a perfect anchor point? I went to a bow shop last week and the guy was showing me the anchor point i should use which was my middle knuckle of my pointer finger right under my ear, where my jaw meets my ear. Using a caliper release.This did not feel right to me as i felt over extended. The draw was 30 inches and it felt way too long for me but the guy said this is my draw. I dunno. If i work out my draw using the full arm length measurement i get a measurement of 28 inches. Another guy tells me this is wrong and you should measure by holding arms in front of you as if you are praying fully outstretched and measuring from your adams apple to the tips of your fingers. That gave me 28.5 inches. I buy a bow based on these measurements and the bow shop tells me that the 28.5 draw is way too short for me??? I really dont know what to think. One guy tells me this one tells me that. So i figure a good anchor point will find my perfect draw length for me.
Any and all advice is much appreciated.:D

Jagermeister
12-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Try drawing a bow with the shorter draw length. If you come up against the "wall" before you feel your at full draw, the draw length will be too short. I would say that the information given by the bowshop dude is somewhat ambiguous as your anchor point is dependent on your flexibility. The method that you described in obtaining the 28½ draw length is one of the most prescribed methods and in your case is probably correct.
Using a release will have a tendency to shorten you draw length. When selecting a release, bear this in mind.

Ambush
12-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Did you go to an actual bow-shop or a place that also sells bows. Some times you will encounter people who want to be "experts".

An anchor point is something YOU will develope for yourself. It should feel natural and not forced or uncomfortable.

Many people struggle with draw lengths that are to long. Not many guys with 30" draw lengths. I'm 6 feet tall and my arms are longer than they should be. I shoot a very short release [Tru-Ball Short&Sweet] and my draw lenght is 29".

A good shop, or knowledgable friend should have you shooting properly in no time and it will feel right.

BC4Bowhunter
12-19-2008, 07:38 AM
You yourself have to find your perfect anchor point as long as you can anchor consistantly in the same spot then thats the spot. A few shops try to sell long draw length bows just to get rid of them which is sad to see. 30" draw sound too long unless you are 6'6" then maybe. When I measure a person for draw length I use two method and usually the two methods give me the correct draw length+/- 1/2 "when used together.One method is the wing span method and the second is lip method where the person has their fist against the wall arm extended standing 45 dergrees to the wall and measure from the wall to the corner of the mouth while the person is looking at their fist against the wall. Hope that make sense:confused:. I measured quite a few people this way and seems to work very well. If you shooting with a loop you should deduct a half inch draw length because the loop will move your anchor point back. Hopes this helps:smile::wink:

zedex
12-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. The bow shop is an actual bow shop where he sells bows and all supplies. When i walked in he immediately said i was at least a 30 draw length and the bow i just bought a week previous was too short. My bow immediately went up on the wall and he pulled down one of his bows. So we spent some time trying some bows and the 30 inch seemed way too long for me. I was stretched out way too far as far as im concerned. It did not feel natural and i was truggling to hold and could barely squeeze the trigger as i was so far stretched. I am 5'11" .
Can you guys give me some anchor points for me to try. I always thought that the corner of the mouth was an anchor point but what do i know.
Thanks for the repies so far.

BC4Bowhunter
12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
If you 5'11 your nowhere near 30" draw I'm 5'10"and I'm a 28" unless you have really long arms. You want the nock of the arrow to be at the corner of your mouth. The back of your jaw is usually a good spot ,or below the ear. You want to anchor on a boney spot on your face if you can

Ron.C
12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
What length of release are you using? And is there a string loop on the bow? Those calculations and estimation about draw length don't take these into account and either of these. By themselves and especially when they are together may give you the feeling you are way overdrawn if you haven't accounted for them. I can shoot a 28" draw with my fingers, but once I add a loop and release" which I keep adjusted as short as possible, while still maintaining comfort, I have to reduce my bow's draw length to 26 3/4" to be able to feel comfortable.
Alot of it is personal preference and I myself anchor with the knuckes of my index and fore finger just on the lobe of my ear.
Another issue that will give you fits is if you don't have a bow with a solid wall, meaning when you get to full draw position on your bow, there will be no more rearward travel of the string. Many bows have a draw stop which is a peg mounted on the cam that makes contact with your limb, physically preventing the bow from being drawn any further. This is huge advantage to have for a new archer struggling to find a consistant anchor point.

There are alot of ways to shoot, and alot of different techniques. The key is to be consistent and repeat eveything exactly, every shot. What works for one guy may not work for another ie, some guys may like to shoot a very short draw when they are physically capable of shooting longer, or some guys may anchor or grip the bow in an odd manor, but they can repeat it shot after shot and shoot great. But if it's not comfortable, it won't work so just be open to listen to peoples suggestions, and try different things until you find what fits and works for YOU best.

Onesock
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM
What kind of bow are you shooting. Compound or traditional?

jessbennett
12-19-2008, 09:16 AM
If you 5'11 your nowhere near 30" draw I'm 5'10"and I'm a 28" unless you have really long arms. You want the nock of the arrow to be at the corner of your mouth. The back of your jaw is usually a good spot ,or below the ear. You want to anchor on a boney spot on your face if you can

ummmm....... im 5'10 my draw length is 30 ''.... i shoot a 29.5 inch bow with a loop. it just depends on the person.

if you feel over extended then theres a good chance that the draw length is too long for you. is your bow arm fully extended at full draw???? do you feel like you have to tilt your head backwards to look through your peep???? all signs of a draw that is too long for you. at full draw there should be a slight bend in your bow arm. if your draw length is correct, you should be able to draw your bow and settle in without having to"fight" to find your anchor and your peep.
:smile:

BC4Bowhunter
12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
[quote=jessbennett;380214]ummmm....... im 5'10 my draw length is 30 ''.... i shoot a 29.5 inch bow with a loop. it just depends on the person.

You must be built fairly broad in the shoulders or long armed to have a draw length that long. I agree it depends on the person but in my experience usually people under 6 ft have a draw length 29" or under, but there are exceptions of course. Best is to have maybe another person who is an experience archer or another pro shop measure Zedex draw length. Unfortunately I see many people shooting a bow thats too long for them.However if they can shoot consistantly all the power to them

Bowzone_Mikey
12-19-2008, 03:25 PM
the methods mentioned above are simply starting points ... the anchor point the shop gave you is typically the "texttbook anser ...

a proper anchor point is one you replicate comfortably over and over agian.

jessbennett
12-19-2008, 03:39 PM
maybe post up a picture of yourself at full draw. that can help alot too. alot of the time its pretty easy to tell if ones draw length is too long just by looking at them at full draw.

zedex
12-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi guys. I was shooting a compound with a loop. My arms are pretty long but my bow arm was fully straight when i was trying the 30 inch. We even ended up making my trigger shorter but then i couldn't squeeze the trigger . I was so stretched out if i turned my head i tended to lose some draw length . I wasn't about to argue with the guy as he's the pro and i know virtually nothing about proper form.
I went into the shop initially to buy a release and to get my bow adjusted to the 28.5 draw but that all went south .
Thanks for the pointers. I will try to find a release in Kelowna and start over.

The Hermit
12-19-2008, 08:52 PM
You might want to try a kisser for the anchor point too. When I shot a compound that worked great for me...

Bow Walker
12-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Consider the picture below. Consider the dotted lines. Consider the "T" that his posture makes. Look at the knuckle of his release hand. See where it is placed? Right in the soft spot just under the ear and just behind the jawbone. That is the 'sweet spot' for your anchor.

Emulate his posture, his anchor, his relaxed bow-arm shoulder, his relaxed and slightly crooked bow arm. See how the nock-end of the arrow is right below his eye?

That is an example of proper anchor, proper stance, and proper draw length.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Keepemsharp_WristReleaseForm_1_1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4878&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=529)

Another example - comfortable stance, upright posture, head erect (not leaning into the peep), and arrow nock end below the eye.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bow_Walker1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4876&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=529)

The picture below is of an example of having the draw length just a bit too long (an inch to be exact). Notice the head leaning into the peep? Notice the nock end of the arrow is past the eye? See that the total body posture is leaning backwards slightly?

Everything else is OK - the bow arm shoulder is relaxed, the release hand/arm is in line properly but the draw length is just a bit too long, throwing off the entire posture/stance/form. Shooting like this will give you sore neck and lead to a sore back as well.

If your draw length is too long you cannot shoot properly or with any consistency. It all starts with the little things.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/June14_041.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4866&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=529)

huntwriter
12-19-2008, 11:54 PM
As has been said a few times here, the correct anchor point is what you feel comfortable with. More important then what part you choose as anchor point is that the anchor point is consistently exact same spot.

On the image below, one of many that I use for illustration on my bowhunting courses and seminars, you can see what the most common used anchor point for release shooters roughly looks like.

My anchor point is with the knuckle of my forefinger directly on the root of the ear where it attached to the head. The fingers follow the jawbone line with the forefinger resting relaxed on the release trigger. I found that this position gave me the most reliable and constant anchor point. For lack of a better word I call this the double anchor point: Knuckle rest in the crevice behind the ear and forefinger on the jawbone line.

Choose an anchor point that is not likely to move. For example, some archers releasing the string with the fingers choose the corner of their mouth as anchor point. This is not a very good place, because the corner of the mouth is often unnoticeably (instinctively) moved depending on mood and stress factor. Some archers choose the lower jawbone or the cheekbone as anchor point. The more stable (unmovable) the anchor point is the better the chances are that you can replicate the same position each time.

Hope this helps.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/anchor2.jpg

zedex
12-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Excellent info guys. Just what i was looking for. Very much appreciated.:smile:

oldtimer
12-20-2008, 09:05 AM
As mentioned , there is nothing the matter with a kisser button as another anchor point reference. Especially with a new shooter. Mike

Bow Walker
12-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Zedex - get someone to take a pic of you at full draw. Post it up and it'll be a whole lot easier to help you.

jessbennett
12-20-2008, 10:51 AM
didnt i ask him to do that already???? hehehehehe:razz:

all good info guys......

zedex
12-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Ok. I just have to buy a release first, hopefully today if i can find one. Then will get the wife to snap a shot.

zedex
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/zedex/anchorpoint2.jpg

zedex
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Here ya go. 28.5 draw.

huntwriter
12-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Looks good to me.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
ok first off .. never ever ever draw your bow without an arrow nocked ... One touch of that release will cause a dry fire .. usually causes string to jump the cams and limbs to splinter ...amoung other bad things ....

no as far as form goes ..you might be a tad long as I see that you are leaning back a bit but just a bit ..so you can probally stand to shorten up the loop or get rid of it all together or go to the next shorter adjustment on the cam Moduals.

Also If I might add ... your hand looks like you are about 15 years old grabbing your first set of hooties ...relax it a bit ... it will result in less tourqe on your bow and more consistant shootin. Its hard to describe online but try to hold the bow on the meat of your palm with your knuckles making a line down and 45degrees away from the bow ..

tomahawk
12-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Bowzone M is correct about the dry fire but in this case you need to use your best judgement on whether you want an arrow travelling at 300 ft per second through your living room? Its not good for your bow at all but may not explode every time. That answer is yours to figure out.

Bowzone also has a good point on your left fist being clenched on the bow, heed his direction and you'll be a much better shot!

zedex
12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
hahaha. I knew you would mention the possible dry fire but i trust myself ,and my arrows are barely long enough for this bow since i jacked the draw to max setting. Also i promised the wife that no arrow would go into the bow at picture time. I can let you speak to her but i wouldn't recommend it.:lol:I will ease up on my clenched hooter hand thank you. The leaning back thing i also notice but i think it might be because my back is killing me. I really appreciate the feedback everyone. This bow BTW is the bow that according to bow shop guy is definitely not long enough for me.:?:

Ambush
12-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey Zedex. You look OK there. Try dropping your bow arm elbow down a little. Also it looks like your gripping your release pretty hard. Relax both hands a bit. Trust your wrist sling, your bow won't fall. And it's better to be 1/2" too short than 1/2" too long.

Now go buy a Burly Dead Stop bag and hang it with the centre at eye level. I say hang it because some arrows will protrude through the back side and you don't want holes in the wall.

Now stand five feet from your target, draw and aim briefly. CLOSE your eyes, relax everything and slowly squeeze the trigger. Don't drop your bow arm, but let it drift down naturaly while letting the bow tip forward.
Resist the temptation to open your eyes when the bow goes off.

Shoot 5 or 6 arrows like this before or after every practice session.

Twenty arrows a day is way better than a hundred on the weekend.

I shoot in my basement all winter about two or three times a week.

Give me a shout in the spring and I'll help you get your first archery bear, and I'll video.

Kirby
12-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I am just under 5'10 and have a 29.5" draw.

Bow Walker
12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
This is what BZM is talking about. That's a relaxed grip, allowing the bow grip to be firmly seated between thumb and first finger - but the bow hand is not grabbing the bow.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Hand-Grip.jpg

And yes - you do seem to be leaning back a bit, sore back or no. Shorten up about a half an inch and you'll be standing upright and much more at ease.

If you drop your bow arm shoulder a bit you'll lessen the strain on the elbow and you'll also develop a 'low-handed' grip, which will tend to keep your forearm free from string slap.

You're looking pretty comfortable as it is, but you probably could be more relaxed. Keep shooting. It's addictive, isn't it?

zedex
12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Really good stuff guys. Appreciate it very much. Just need to practice and get my strength up for those muscles that have never been used to date.
I will shorten the draw 1/2 inch.

BC4Bowhunter
12-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Your draw length in the pic looks pretty good I would leave it there. But maybe consider dropping you draw weight a bit if your back has problems.Other than that you are good to go.;-)

BC4Bowhunter
12-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey Kirby post a pic of you drawing your bow. 29.5 draw seems to long to me. But hey if you can shoot well that way all the power to ya.