PDA

View Full Version : Brine a turkey for Christmas!

Gateholio
12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Do you want the juiciest turkey ever? You should brine it. I started brining turkeys a number of years ago, and never looked back. I have written out the instructions lots of times, but never seem to save them, so nowdays I just copy it from the Food Network site. It's virtually identical to what I do, although his insrucitons are more precise- I just poke at the thing and say "yup, it's ready":razz:

I make the stuffing in a pan on the side- It's easy to do and if you use some good chicken stock nobody will know it's never seen the inside of a turkey!

Anyway, if you want the juiciest turkey for Christmas, forget the old recipes of stuffing, cooking all day and whatever else grandma used to do...Use the brine! :)

How to Brine and Roast a Turkey

Yield: 12http://www.foodtv.ca/images/global/bt_print.gif (javascript:window.print())

Try brining for the best tasting, juiciest holiday turkey ever! It?s a centuries old trick that the pros use. Best of all it?s very simple and it really works. Brining encourages the tightly wound proteins in meat to uncoil, bump into each other and form a web of sorts that sets with the heat of the oven and traps moisture.

Ingredients:

See Directions (below) for Ingredients as they vary depending on size of bird
Directions:

You will need an accurate meat thermometer to gauge exactly when the meat is done. Don’t rely on the pop-up thermometers; they are calibrated so high that they guarantee dried out meat!
For a standard 12 to 25 pound turkey you will need 2 pounds of salt, ideally sea salt and 2 cups of brown sugar. You will also need a clean picnic cooler large enough to hold the turkey when completely submerged in water.
Place the turkey, salt and sugar in the bucket. Cover with 4 gallons of cold water and submerge the turkey upside down. Turn the turkey a few times to mix the salt and sugar. Place the bucket in a cold place for four hours for a smaller turkey and as much as six hours for a larger one, no more no less. If necessary to keep the brine cold replace some of the water with a few bags of ice or even throw in some freezer packs.
Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse well under cold running water. Let rest uncovered overnight in the refrigerator. This will drain any excess moisture and help dry out the skin so it will brown better.
Rub the turkey with butter, ground pepper and your favourite herb or spice mix. Stuff the turkey with fresh herb sprigs, garlic cloves and large chopped pieces of carrot, celery and onion. Place breast side down on a clean well oiled roasting rack in a roasting pan. Add two cups of water to the pan.
Place the turkey in a preheated 400° oven. Roast one hour then, without opening the oven, turn the heat down to 250° and continue roasting for two hours longer. For a 20 to 25 lb. turkey or larger roast for three more hours. If you have a convection oven only roast for 45 minutes first before turning down the oven heat, no other adjustments are needed.
Flip the turkey breast side up and baste it thoroughly. Add two cups of water to the roasting pan. Turn the oven back up to 400° and continue roasting until the breast meat is exactly 165° and the thigh reads 170°. Baste and check the temperature every 15 minutes or so. This finishing heat will help brown the skin. Let the turkey rest covered with foil for 20 to 30 minutes before carving then serve immediately.

MB_Boy
12-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Hey Gate...

I am going to give this a try this year as I have heard it works very well.

Question for you.....is there a reason with a brined turkey that you don't stuff it? I know the carrots, herbs, onions etc are going to add excellent flavour but just curious if there was a specific reason for not stuffing it? Does it have to do with the cooking time specified being shorter with a "non-stuffed" turkey?

Cheers.

tomahawk
12-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I have been doing frozen turkeys this way for about 10 yrs, its the only way to go, I add whatever spices I feel like to the brine and soak overnight. However if the turkey is fresh I just roast it.

MattB
12-18-2008, 01:28 PM
How come you dont just invite us all over for Christmas dinner? :idea:

Gateholio
12-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey Gate...

I am going to give this a try this year as I have heard it works very well.

Question for you.....is there a reason with a brined turkey that you don't stuff it? I know the carrots, herbs, onions etc are going to add excellent flavour but just curious if there was a specific reason for not stuffing it? Does it have to do with the cooking time specified being shorter with a "non-stuffed" turkey?

Cheers.

Witht he water you put into the pan, the stuffing may get soggy. It will certianly be very salty. Also, you brined it to keep it moist- So why stuff it full of bread that will suck out moisture?

Those are my resoans, but I admit I've never tried to stuff a brined turkey. You never end up wiht enough stuffing if you just use wht fits in a turkey, anyway.

Making it on the side is easy. I cut up bacon into small bits, and fry untl crisp, add chopped onions and garliic and a whole bunch of fresh thyme and fry until softened, deglaze with white wine, melt in some butter, add bread and mix up, then add chicken stock until fairly moist. Then I scape it all into a pan and bake it covered for a bit.

I do variations like adding sausage or different herbs, too.

Gateholio
12-18-2008, 01:43 PM

You're invited!! How easy was that, all you had to do was ask!:smile:

BCrams
12-18-2008, 01:46 PM

Great idea!!

Gateholio
12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Great idea!!

You can come too!!:p

BCrams
12-18-2008, 01:54 PM
You can come too!!:p

Such short notice!!

You ought to plan this for next year :mrgreen:

Right on the verge of the 2010 games!!

MattB
12-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Thats a good idea inviting rams along. He's good at washing dishes! :D

Stone Sheep Steve
12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Can I get mine to go in a freeze-dried meal??...... just in case I'm out backpacking on Thanksgiving??

Rams may be good at doing dishes but he sucks at making Mtn Blueberry Cheesecake...but it was the thought that counted:smile:.

SSS

tomahawk
12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Witht he water you put into the pan, the stuffing may get soggy. It will certianly be very salty. Also, you brined it to keep it moist- So why stuff it full of bread that will suck out moisture?

Those are my resoans, but I admit I've never tried to stuff a brined turkey. You never end up wiht enough stuffing if you just use wht fits in a turkey, anyway.

Making it on the side is easy. I cut up bacon into small bits, and fry untl crisp, add chopped onions and garliic and a whole bunch of fresh thyme and fry until softened, deglaze with white wine, melt in some butter, add bread and mix up, then add chicken stock until fairly moist. Then I scape it all into a pan and bake it covered for a bit.

I do variations like adding sausage or different herbs, too.

I stuff them all the time, stuffing is great from a brined bird. Just have your stuffing a little drier to start and no salt added.

Gateholio
12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
I stuff them all the time, stuffing is great from a brined bird. Just have your stuffing a little drier to start and no salt added.

Well, there you go..:)

I've never stuffed mine since I suspect that the water I put in the pan woudl make it gooey...Do whatever works for you!

Keep in mind I usually do about 10 turkeys at a time, so stuffing each one and retrieving stuffing etc isn't very efficient from my standpoint. :)

mrdoog
12-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Anyone tried to BBQ a brined bird?

Jimbo
12-18-2008, 06:07 PM
My wife has been brining our turkeys for about 3 years now and they are definately moister. The point of not stuffing the cavity is to keep the cooking time short, and prevent drying out the bird. Defeats the purpose of brining. Myself, I think the bird and dressing both improve in flavour when cooked together. :D

Gateholio
12-18-2008, 06:07 PM

BBQ as in Low and Slow smoked?

I've done them on a spit.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
I usually Inject and Deepfry em ... but will hafta try this method to ..

Thanx gate

MidnightRun
12-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Yes, chicken though not turkey. Brine and butterfly the bird then bbq it over indirect heat, flip it once starting with skin side down then over to skin side up if using a gas bbq charcoal heat requires skin side up then over to skin side down. This is one of my favorite meals to serve company.

David Heitsman
12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Gatehouse,

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated, perhaps you are familiar with the periodical and they have been espousing brining poultry for years.

I have done turkeys this way and normally do chickens in a brine first prior to roasting but the November issue came out with a technique where the bird is basically quartered prior to going in the oven and then roasted high initially and then turned down for the balance of the cooking period.

I would be happy to recount more of the recipe as I would have to look it up but it might be on the web. Just let me know if you want more details.

Having the bird quartered really reduces the cooking time and I found it to be the most tender turkey I have done. I roasted one for US Thanksgiving as my son was home from college in the states.

jeeper
12-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I have brined two turkeys and have found they are moister and more flaver full then unbrined !

I will be doing more this way :)

Gateholio
12-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Gatehouse,

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated, perhaps you are familiar with the periodical and they have been espousing brining poultry for years.

I have done turkeys this way and normally do chickens in a brine first prior to roasting but the November issue came out with a technique where the bird is basically quartered prior to going in the oven and then roasted high initially and then turned down for the balance of the cooking period.

I would be happy to recount more of the recipe as I would have to look it up but it might be on the web. Just let me know if you want more details.

Having the bird quartered really reduces the cooking time and I found it to be the most tender turkey I have done. I roasted one for US Thanksgiving as my son was home from college in the states.

David, no, I dont' know Cooking Illustrae. I read some industry mags but most food mags are geared towards a house wife hosting a good dinner party, and not runing a restaurant (no offense intended!):smile:

I have no doubt that quartering a bird will speed up cooking time- It makes sense, since the pieces are smaller. I'm not surprised the meat stays juicy, too, since a long cooking time can dry out meat (depending on what you do)

Too many people stuff thier turkey then put it in the oven at 10 AM to serve at 7PM:shock:

Ican't tell you the amount of times I've gone for dinner to places and they ask me to "check the turkey/roast/chicken/salmon etc because they are "not sure if it is done yet."

Almost 100% of the time, I am like "WHOA, it's done" and I think "it was done HOURS ago" but I dont' say that of course :)

Only exception was a pre wedding dinner I attended, the father of the gorrom had a whole salmon in foil on the BBQ, everyone was seated to eat, and he wanted me to check it. I did, sliding a thin knife into the foil and into the middle of the salmon, then withdrawing it and pressing the knife to my lip, old school heat testing style. It was stone cold.

I said "Give it an hour"

But he insisted it was ready, and peopel wanted to eat, so he removed it and started to cut it open. It was sushi, of course, and then said "I guess you were right"
ha ha...no kidding...

By all means, post the recipe, I'd liek to see what the method is. There are about 100 ways to cook a bird!

jeeper
12-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Best tool in the out there for cookin ! A good thermometer ! preferably one that you dont have to open the door to check , It takes all the guess work outa cookin :) ( or for us rookies a lot of the worry )

Bruce

Gateholio
12-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Best tool in the out there for cookin ! A good thermometer ! preferably one that you dont have to open the door to check , It takes all the guess work outa cookin :) ( or for us rookies a lot of the worry )

Bruce

I totally agree...Like I said before,I just poke at it, and I know, but I've ben doing it for some time. A thermometer still comes in handy some times. It's invaluable to anyone who cooks, IMHO.

Bpower
12-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Gatehouse,

A big THANK YOU from me and my family.

I used your turkey brine recipe tonight and our bird turned out perfect. I'm sold on brining now!!!

MidnightRun
12-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Yup, big hit here too 18 people for dinner this afternoon and experimenting with turkey cooking methods :eek:. I cooked two birds at the same time in the oven today one was 15 lbs and brined, the other 18 lbs and not brined. The 18 lb bird didn't taste dry untill you tried the brined turkey (wow).

bridger
12-26-2008, 03:49 AM
will have to try that. sounds very good. We had a turkey smoked by the local meat shop this year and it was deliccous. didn't use it for the main meal but more for appetizers ,sandwiches etc

Dirty
12-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I saw this brining technique on At Home Chef or Chef at Home on the food network. It looked interesting, but we haven't tried it yet. My grandparents raise their own Turkeys at home and they are the juicest Turkey's ever. I wonder how they would taste brined? I have had smoked Turkey's too and they are mighty tastey.

rifleman
12-26-2008, 11:15 AM
thanx Gatehouse we will be trying your brine in the next couple of days.

Gateholio
12-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Glad to hear some people tried it out and were happy with the results!

Doing a side by side comparison like Midnight Run did is always a good eye opener! :)

Stone Sheep Steve
12-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Might be a good technique for wild turkies come spring??..given that they tend to be drier than farmed birds.

SSS

Gateholio
12-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Might be a good technique for wild turkies come spring??..given that they tend to be drier than farmed birds.

SSS

Absolutely!:biggrin:

GoatGuy
12-26-2008, 01:07 PM

SSS

There's a good idea.

huntergirl270
12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Great post Gatehouse!
Sounds very similar to the recipe I use from America's Test Kitchen cookbook I own. (You know the public television show).
The turkey is always perfect every time!

rifleman
12-28-2008, 06:40 PM
uummm, uummmm, uummmmm, goooddddd. just finished a brined turkey meal & it was delicious. the bird was a small one so I had to adjust time accordingly. thanx again...

3kills
03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
could u cook this bad boy on the rottiserry (sp)

Gateholio
03-05-2009, 09:43 PM
could u cook this bad boy on the rottiserry (sp)

Sure, why not?

Try it out on a cheap chicken, first. But cut down the brine time.

Gateholio
12-22-2011, 12:43 AM
I was asked to post this again, but I thought I'd just BTT this thread!

:)

tomahawk
12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I was asked to post this again, but I thought I'd just BTT this thread!

:)

Great timing!!!

TheProvider
12-22-2011, 11:21 AM
MIght have to try this

darrin6109
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
heres a great recipe as well....

Ingredients

1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water
For the aromatics:

1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil
Directions

Click here (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/holidays_and_parties/channel/0,1000341,FOOD_32087_11828,00.html) to see how it's done.
2 to 3 days before roasting:
Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.
Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.
Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:
Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.
Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.
Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.
Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.

Getbent
01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I have been Brining for a few years as well. this year we actually pulled the bird out before it reached 165 and wrapped in foil and placed towels on top and let it sit for 1.5 hours. Carved the whole breast off of the bird before I smiced it across the grain...unreal, definetly another level up on just brineing the bird.Saw Jamie Oliver do this and it was money!
Best bird ever.

Getbent

KevinB
01-03-2012, 06:10 PM
We brined one this year and it was pretty darn good. But - if you really, really want the juiciest turkey ever - deep fry that sucker!

http://www.turkeyfarmersofcanada.ca/wholeTurkey/deepFrying/

boxhitch
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Just did another one of these , it has become tradition , thanks again C
This is where a temp alarm pays for itself

Gateholio
12-31-2012, 12:02 AM
I have been Brining for a few years as well. this year we actually pulled the bird out before it reached 165 and wrapped in foil and placed towels on top and let it sit for 1.5 hours. Carved the whole breast off of the bird before I smiced it across the grain...unreal, definetly another level up on just brineing the bird.Saw Jamie Oliver do this and it was money!
Best bird ever.

Getbent

RESTING meat is never a mistake! People just don't know how important resting meat is. I didn't see Jamies' idea but it makes sense, as if you stop cooking and insulate a big bird it will keep rising internal temperature until a certain point, and then go into "resting" mode. When it comes to meat, it's all about the resting, folks! :)

Gateholio
12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Just did another one of these , it has become tradition , thanks again C
This is where a temp alarm pays for itself

Glad to hear! Gilmore mentioned that he brined his turkey this year and it was the best turkey he had ever had. :)

Nobody should have to endure dry turkey. It's a simple process that pays off big time!

Gateholio
12-31-2012, 12:11 AM
I saw this brining technique on At Home Chef or Chef at Home on the food network. It looked interesting, but we haven't tried it yet. My grandparents raise their own Turkeys at home and they are the juicest Turkey's ever. I wonder how they would taste brined? I have had smoked Turkey's too and they are mighty tastey.

Sorry it took 4 years to reply, but we rise our own turkeys too. And we brine them! :)

Sasquatch
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Brined my bird for the first time this year on the advice of a friend. Was the juciest bird I have ever made - no way will I go back to the old method.

Also let it rest covered for an hour before carving.

I didn't do it breast side down as I didn't want to play around with flipping it once it was in the pan. Still came out great.

Gateholio
12-31-2012, 02:07 AM
AA note on resting- Sled92 and I grilled up a couple of tenderloins from his (first) deer this year. Hot BBQ, turn it down a bit, grill to perfection ad LET IT REST.

Wait 15 minutes keep it warm and I sliced it up. Looked like an effing food show loin. It couldn't have been more perfect, a bit of red in the middle and pink all the way through. MMM! MMM! MMM!!

Had we cooked it and chopped it up, it would have been grey on the outside, red in the middle and a whole lot of juices pouring out on the plate! YUCK! dry and bloody!

TexasWalker
12-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Best bird ever.

Getbent

This is how I do it too only I cut the wishbone out before I cook the bird and it allows you to remove the whole breast much easier,easy to do with a sharp paring knife.
I actually saw it on an old Julia Child black and white cooking show.

Cross grain is where it's at when carving any meat.

Gateholio
12-31-2012, 04:21 AM
While it is traditional to carve the turkey at the table, what I usually do is cut off the breasts and thighs and slice them up, then rearrange the turkey on a platter as if it were still whole. Sliced breasts, sliced thighs and wings and drumsticks positioned s the if the turkey was whole. It's less maintenance and everyone gets to grab their preferred piece.

Gateholio
12-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Just a bump from 2008, you have enough time to get that turkey in brine! :)

GoatGuy
12-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Just put it in the over an hour ago - thanks for the great recipe! Used it a number of times.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Are we all still invited for dinner Gate??!!
Ah, never mind...GG lives a lot closer:-D.

Would love to do try this recipe but I'll have to give wifey more notice as she's the bird cooker.

Maybe next year.

SSS

Gateholio
12-24-2013, 05:19 PM
If you are eating turkey tomorrow, uou still have time!

Gateholio
12-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Just put it in the over an hour ago - thanks for the great recipe! Used it a number of times.

Glad to see people loving the brine! :)

MB_Boy
12-24-2013, 05:29 PM

Brine your turkey once......you may as well throw it out if you ever intend NOT to brine. :wink:

Huge difference in every way. :-D

mwj
12-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Clark,
I used your brine on last springs wild turkey.
The turkey looked kinda scrawny and tough before hand but turned out tender and tasty!
thanks again
Mark

GoatGuy
12-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Are we all still invited for dinner Gate??!!
Ah, never mind...GG lives a lot closer:-D.

Would love to do try this recipe but I'll have to give wifey more notice as she's the bird cooker.

Maybe next year.

SSS

There'll be plenty tonight. Usually a bunch of strangers that wonder in for dinner before the bonfire anyways.

Yes, loving it! Only way to go.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2013, 06:08 PM
There'll be plenty tonight. Usually a bunch of strangers that wonder in for dinner before the bonfire anyways.

Yes, loving it! Only way to go.

If I head over tonight, SsS will have to drive:wink:.

Wandering in while dinner is being served is just plain disrespectful:oops:.

Enjoy!

Gateholio
12-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Clark,
I used your brine on last springs wild turkey.
The turkey looked kinda scrawny and tough before hand but turned out tender and tasty!
thanks again
Mark

Great to hear, my friend!

Merry Christmas to you and your lovely wife! :)

GoatGuy
12-24-2013, 06:16 PM
If I head over tonight, SsS will have to drive:wink:.

Wandering in while dinner is being served is just plain disrespectful:oops:.

Enjoy!

Hahaha, late dinner last night.

M.Dean
12-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Well, after a "Few" drinks last evening, me and a few of the Boy's figgered we'd try this Brining Thing with this years Turkey! Got the Brine made all fine and dandy, I think we added Vodka instead of water, it weren't Whiskey cuz I didn't let that bottle get out of my grip all night!!! Anyway's, every thing was going just hunky dorry until we's went to put the Turkey in the big brine pot, what a bloody mess!!! That god dam 34 pound big bird started flapping and screaming it's fool head off the second we tried to put the lid down on it's head!!! The water was steam'in hot, but not really boil'in like the pot of water me and my little brother pulled over on our heads a few years back, we still look just fine! Now, you try to catch a big bird like that, half scalded and pissed right off and put it back in that big brine pot!!! Dam lucky the Wife keeps her 12 gauge loaded, behind the firewood pile in the kitchen here! Took Zeff about 4 or 5 blasts and that dam turkey buzzard finally quit his flapp'in and bled out on the table! Anyway's Gate, if I can call you Gate, Mr. Gatehouse??? Reason for our plea of help here is, will this brine thing work with a Dead Turkey Buzzard, or do you's use only nice, live fresh ones??? And this "stuff'in" thing, seems like a lot of extra trouble, all's we've ever did was feed the turkey a pile of bread crumb's, onions,celery and meal worms dipped in sage the night before the big meal, works good enough for us, and the stuff'in's crazy good!!! Hey, and a handy little tip from Zeke here, if you got to patch up shotgun blast holes in drywall, just mix up some flour and a bit of water, spread it out with a egg flipper, and presto, it blends in dam near perfectly!!! I'll let you all know how Dinner turns out tomorrow, should be something to behold!!!

Gateholio
09-28-2016, 08:11 PM
Thanksgiving is coming up,don't forget to BRINE! :)

SR80
09-29-2016, 06:33 AM
Tried this exact recipe last year...wow! Ill never not do this, ive been voted the turkey maker in our family now

drum_boy101
09-29-2016, 07:15 AM
We use Alton Brown's turkey recipe exclusively, so good!

Ingredients
1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water

For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil

2 to 3 days before roasting:
Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.
Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.
Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:
Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.
Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.
Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.
Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown

Glenny
09-29-2016, 09:04 AM
Nice . I brine all my chiggin always. Bring on the turkey lurky..

boxhitch
09-29-2016, 10:22 AM
We have been brinin' since this was first posted up. Brining large roasting birds almost monthly.
May even try this on a Flemish Giant or two

[QUOTE=drum_boy101;1823181]We use Alton Brown's turkey recipe exclusively, so good!

Discard the brine.
[QUOTE]Looks good enough for sop stock

Bod
10-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Do you want the juiciest turkey ever? You should brine it. I started brining turkeys a number of years ago, and never looked back. I have written out the instructions lots of times, but never seem to save them, so nowdays I just copy it from the Food Network site. It's virtually identical to what I do, although his insrucitons are more precise- I just poke at the thing and say "yup, it's ready":razz:

I make the stuffing in a pan on the side- It's easy to do and if you use some good chicken stock nobody will know it's never seen the inside of a turkey!

Anyway, if you want the juiciest turkey for Christmas, forget the old recipes of stuffing, cooking all day and whatever else grandma used to do...Use the brine! :)

Yield: 12http://www.foodtv.ca/images/global/bt_print.gif (http://javascript<strong></strong>:window.print())

Try brining for the best tasting, juiciest holiday turkey ever! It?s a centuries old trick that the pros use. Best of all it?s very simple and it really works. Brining encourages the tightly wound proteins in meat to uncoil, bump into each other and form a web of sorts that sets with the heat of the oven and traps moisture.

Ingredients:

Directions:

You will need an accurate meat thermometer to gauge exactly when the meat is done. Don’t rely on the pop-up thermometers; they are calibrated so high that they guarantee dried out meat!
For a standard 12 to 25 pound turkey you will need 2 pounds of salt, ideally sea salt and 2 cups of brown sugar. You will also need a clean picnic cooler large enough to hold the turkey when completely submerged in water.
Place the turkey, salt and sugar in the bucket. Cover with 4 gallons of cold water and submerge the turkey upside down. Turn the turkey a few times to mix the salt and sugar. Place the bucket in a cold place for four hours for a smaller turkey and as much as six hours for a larger one, no more no less. If necessary to keep the brine cold replace some of the water with a few bags of ice or even throw in some freezer packs.
Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse well under cold running water. Let rest uncovered overnight in the refrigerator. This will drain any excess moisture and help dry out the skin so it will brown better.
Rub the turkey with butter, ground pepper and your favourite herb or spice mix. Stuff the turkey with fresh herb sprigs, garlic cloves and large chopped pieces of carrot, celery and onion. Place breast side down on a clean well oiled roasting rack in a roasting pan. Add two cups of water to the pan.
Place the turkey in a preheated 400° oven. Roast one hour then, without opening the oven, turn the heat down to 250° and continue roasting for two hours longer. For a 20 to 25 lb. turkey or larger roast for three more hours. If you have a convection oven only roast for 45 minutes first before turning down the oven heat, no other adjustments are needed.
Flip the turkey breast side up and baste it thoroughly. Add two cups of water to the roasting pan. Turn the oven back up to 400° and continue roasting until the breast meat is exactly 165° and the thigh reads 170°. Baste and check the temperature every 15 minutes or so. This finishing heat will help brown the skin. Let the turkey rest covered with foil for 20 to 30 minutes before carving then serve immediately.

Just did this with about a 16 pound bird and it turned out awesome. Now that that's out of the way, bring on the hunting. Thanks Gatehouse

Buckmeister
10-13-2016, 01:50 AM
Just did this on the weekend for Thanksgiving. Worked awesome!!! Even better than I expected. Will certainly do this again.

IronNoggin
10-19-2016, 12:56 PM
So Gate! What would this brining recipe do for a domestic duck (Muscovy) or Goose??

Wondering...
Nog

Stormy
11-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Here’s a cider-brined turkey recipe that you can make in your Big Easy.

Get ready for this delectible treat.

At some point after man discovered fire and invented the wheel, he also discovered a technique for preparing meats that elevated cooking to a level of excitement that every hungry caveman could appreciate.

Brining – the act of dunking the meat in a salty bath of sodium and spices – has been responsible for words like “juicy” and “moist” finding their way into cookbooks for generations. And when you perform this loving act of enhancement with a turkey, you’ll thrill diners who won’t go back to eating sawdust turkey ever again.

Before you get started brining your bird, make sure you have a space large enough in your refrigerator to accommodate the turkey bathtub. You can also use a large cooler filled with ice.

Second, make sure you have enough time. Brining a large bird can take up to 24 hours. And, last — be sure to completely pat the turkey dry after it’s brined. Otherwise, you’ll never get a crispy skin on the bird.

Here’s a cider-brined favorite that will give you great results!

Cider-Brined Turkey

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 8 ounces

Brining gives a turkey incredible juiciness.

Ingredients

1 12-14 pound fresh turkey

For The Brine
4 quarts fresh apple cider, divided
1 1/2 cups coarse kosher salt
1/4 cup whole allspice
8 bay leaves
4 quarts cold water

Instructions

To brine:
Simmer 1 quart of apple cider, salt, allspice, and bay leaves in a large stockpot for 5 minutes.
Cool, and add remaining cider and the cold water.
Leave brine in the pot, or pour into a large food-safe container.
After removing the giblets, neck, add the turkey to the brine; refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
Day of Cooking:
One hour before cooking, remove turkey from the brine; rinse well with cold water; and pat dry with paper towels.
Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. If desired, cut the skin between the leg and the rib cage to improve heat penetration.
Loosely stuff any aromatics--onions, herbs--into the cavity of the turkey. Truss legs to keep aromatics inside the cavity during cooking.
Place the prepared turkey in the basket of your The Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer by Char-Broil, legs down, and centered as much as possible.
Place the basket into The Big Easy, and turn on the unit according to instructions.
Plan your cooking to approximately 10 minutes per pound of turkey.
Turkey is done when an instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 180°F and 165°F in the breast.
Carefully remove turkey basket from the cooking chamber.
Place the turkey on a serving platter; tent with foil; and allow the bird to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before carving.

FortBoy
11-24-2016, 03:35 PM
some real good looking brine recipes on here, will have to try a couple out. personally usually do some water,salt,pepper,brown sugar,bay leaves,sage,thyme.......amount of each, who knows, im a freestyle cook lol. Gotta say though, nothing beats a slow smoked turkey in my eyes, tried a few years ago, will never go back. usually throw er in the oven for about half hour at 400, into the bradley smoker, smoke for 3-4 hours, and then another 2 hoursish with no smoke, temp, running about 180-200, then back in the oven for 20-30 to crisp the skin back up a touch. usually done with about a 16-20lb bird, dont know how much bigger i could fit in my smoker.

Gateholio
11-24-2016, 06:30 PM
So Gate! What would this brining recipe do for a domestic duck (Muscovy) or Goose??

Wondering...
Nog

I don't know, never tried. Waterfowl have lots of fat on them so might not need it. I've never brined one of our ducks.

IronNoggin
11-24-2016, 06:57 PM
I don't know, never tried. Waterfowl have lots of fat on them so might not need it. I've never brined one of our ducks.

Hmmm... Thanks for getting back.

May have to try it just for the hell of it.
Have a few on hand... ;)

Letcha know if I do...

Cheers,
Nog

Gateholio
12-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Get that turkey in the brine! :)

quadrakid
12-25-2016, 02:59 PM
First time briner,bird is in the oven!!

Bear Chaser
12-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Completely forgot I was going to try this. Next time except I'll be using the Big Easy.

Brew
12-25-2016, 10:25 PM
I did a apple cider brined Turkey this year and it turned out amazing. The whole family said it was the best Turkey ever. Next time I'm going to brine and try deep frying. I was to scared to try both methods at the same time in case it didn't work but I'm sure it will.

Jrax
12-26-2016, 11:44 AM
x2 on apple cider brined turkey. Have been doing that for last 3-4 years and never looking back. I also add thyme, rosemary and sage to the brine. I normally thaw a frozen turkey and brine but this year brined a fresh turkey and this year was the best turkey ever.

IronNoggin
12-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Tried brining a Muscovy Duck for Christmas Dinner.
Worked Most Excellent!
Succulent, tender & juicy!
Better than expected, and will be trying again! :D

Cheers,
Nog

huntcoop
12-26-2016, 01:17 PM
My sister-in-law poached her boneless turkey in an olive oil bath, wow was it good and juicy!

25hunter
12-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Brined our 3 birds this year for the first time and cooked on our Pellet Grill/smoker. The best turkey bar far!

Beachcomber
12-25-2017, 07:16 AM
I am no Julia Childs, but this deserves to be back at the top on a day when many will be doing battle with a turkey. I’ve relied on this brining process in past years and am doing so again. A gift that keeps on giving in my estimation. Merry Christmas, and may your turkey be succulent and delicious. B

Angus
12-25-2017, 05:08 PM
Been doing this for the last few years now.

Cut up the bird, brine it overnight and then into the smoker for four hours on Christmas day. Then 20 min or so under the broiler to crisp up the skin.

Was -20C here today, so put the smoker in the greenhouse out of the wind and turned on the exhaust fan.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/smoker.jpg

And four hours later:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/turkey_1.jpg

Merch
10-05-2018, 05:01 PM
That time of year to give this a bump.

Ferenc
10-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Going to go the beer can route on a smaller turkey .. can’t be too much different than doing it up the chicken way : )

walks with deer
10-22-2018, 03:17 PM
yuo gonna brine.

Arctic Lake
11-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Yield: 12http://www.foodtv.ca/images/global/bt_print.gif (http://javascript<strong></strong>:window.print())

Ingredients:

Directions:

Did I miss something , Do you start with a frozen turkey or fresh ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

lowball
11-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Frozen or fresh. You can do either way. If you start your brine when its frozen, it will thaw in the pail. No need to set in fridge. If you start with a fresh turkey, refrigerate. In both cases be sure to thoroughly rinse your bird, as salty flavour can be an issue if your making gravy. I usually soak them in a water bath for an hour or so.

walks with deer
12-19-2018, 10:02 PM
lol is it scary i did this to a whitetails rear quarter.??? great instructions gate.

Gateholio
12-19-2018, 11:22 PM
lol is it scary i did this to a whitetails rear quarter.??? great instructions gate.

Brine is excellent for lean wild game.

lowball
12-23-2018, 11:37 AM
It is time to brine ! Merry Christmas!

IronNoggin
12-24-2018, 12:24 PM
The Christmas Goose is headed for splashdown in the brine! :D

Second year we will be trying this, and if last year's bird was any hint, tomorrow's din-din may well be spectacular!! :wink:

Cheers & Merry ho Ho Folks!
Nog

Beachcomber
12-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Seems like a good time to revive the annual turkey brining thread. This year I am thinking of trying the below "dry" method vs the usual "wet" approach I have adopted in years past. Anyone tried this?

B

I do not wet brine turkeys. It does nothing for the texture and it makes the juices watery. Not to mention that simply having pots or vats big enough for the process is another pressure. Instead, I dry brine.

Measure out 1 tablespoon of kosher salt for every 4 pounds of turkey. Unwrap the turkey and place on a baking sheet. Rub the salt all over including throwing some in the cavity and refrigerate, uncovered, for up to two days. This also helps to make a crispier skin.

When it’s time to roast, rub the skin with a flavoured butter, tarragon, rosemary, garlic, lemon mix, or even a Mediterranean dry mix, and try to get some under the skin for self-basting.

Trussing helps the turkey roast more evenly by protecting the breast. It also preserves the shape after cooking and keeps the stuffing from falling out. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Bend the wing tips under the wing to keep it close to the body. If there are no wing tips, loop a string around one wing and go under the bird to loop it onto the other wing. Pull together. If the bird is stuffed, use a metal skewer to close the cavity or sew cavity closed with a trussing needle and string.

Many years ago, I developed a way to roast turkey that I call the high-heat method. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Roast the bird for an hour then turn the heat down to 350 F. Timing is approximately 15 minutes a pound for the first 10 pounds then 7 minutes a pound after that. A 14-pound turkey will take just less than three hours, but check with an instant-read thermometer, which should read 155 F to 160 F in the thickest part. If the skin gets too brown, cover with buttered parchment paper.

Roast the bird on a rack in a roasting pan or broiler pan. This allows the air to circulate so the turkey will brown underneath as well as on top.
Let the turkey rest on a carving board for 10 to 15 minutes to let the juices retract and to make the bird easier to carve.

Would Rather Be Fishing
12-22-2019, 10:48 AM
^^^^^^ I never brined my turkey until the wife got me on it and it made me a believer. So I experimented with both dry and wet brining over the years. My personal(!) experience is: Wet brining makes it easy to get "consistent" and reliable results. Dry brining, the results varied for me over the years from "just as good as wet" to "did I actually put the salt on the turkey"? I never found the results of dry-brining to be better than wet.

As for the container, I use an old cooler, easy to clean and perfect size.

The SKIN, however, is easier to get crispy with dry brining: As a professional chef explained it: If you you want crispy skin, you need the skin to be dry. The dryer the better. That's why you put chicken without cover in the fridge for a few days before roasting - to dry the skin. Dry brining will suck the moisture out of the skin and hence give a nice crisp exterior.

I tried blow-drying the turkey (make sure no one's watching!), rubbing it with salt after blowing a roll of paper towels,etc. You get very similar results as dry-brining if you dry the skin very very well after wet brining, but it's a process.

Sorry for geeking-out!

Beachcomber
12-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Thanks WRBF - that is some pro advice! I was thinking of going dry brining just to change it up. My wet brining results have been consistently good so maybe I should not mess with what works.

boxhitch
12-22-2019, 12:28 PM
that time again, another experiment under way
going to try a 'spatchcock' bird like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_CZOLYpayc
but adding a 'spiced brine' component also.
Sounds hot at 450 but should crisp up nice.

IronNoggin
12-23-2019, 11:57 AM
First time we'll be doing a turkey for Christmas in about 30 years. Shortage of geese this year...
Gate, I have a question or two...

Do you cover the bird for Step 1 or 2? I realize it should be uncovered for the final stage in order to brown the skin, but am uncertain prior to that.

We're doing this brine thing again as it turned out so damn fine with ducks and geese. Suspect the turkey might even turn out better, so don't want to screw it up!

Bird thawing now. Nice little 12 pounder...

Thanks in advance for the advice Big Guy!

Cheers,
Nog

Gateholio
12-23-2019, 12:23 PM
No need to cover it unless you feel like it. I don't.

IronNoggin
12-23-2019, 01:12 PM
Awesome Gate! Many Thanks!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Piperdown
12-23-2019, 06:21 PM
Need pictures when all is said and done :)

Knute
12-26-2019, 11:46 AM
I've brined for the last 5 or so years, this year I tried the method boxhitch linked to in post #97.

I've been doing the spatchcock thing with chickens for a while, yesterday was the first turkey I did this way. I had some reservations about cranking the oven to 450F. but a 15 pound bird was done perfectly moist in 1 hour and 35 minutes. Super crispy skin was a hit.

Fella
12-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Just pulled the bird out of the brine, rubbed garlic butter under the skin and liberally on the skin, stuffed with carrots and celery and herbs. Bird is nested on herbs, veggies and there’s elk bone broth in the pan as well.

albravo2
12-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Our brined and smoked bird was pretty friggin' amazing. It wasn't a huge bird but it always surprises me how fast it cooks in the smoker at 325.

I'm already drooling at the prospects of leftovers for lunch.

Gateholio
12-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Actually didn't do a turkey this year, went with prime rib! :)

https://scontent.fyyc6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/81127635_10157690735590516_8094155676525264896_n.j pg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkYBayFok09K0D4R2uNHTANF3SDqQdrQx_JtVypk-wh38821NAbAYZ6R853YIoWZvI&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc6-1.fna&oh=dae7d30576b5e57ca23eefdf9c8e08be&oe=5E6766F0

REMINGTON JIM
12-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Actually didn't do a turkey this year, went with prime rib! :)

https://scontent.fyyc6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/81127635_10157690735590516_8094155676525264896_n.j pg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkYBayFok09K0D4R2uNHTANF3SDqQdrQx_JtVypk-wh38821NAbAYZ6R853YIoWZvI&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc6-1.fna&oh=dae7d30576b5e57ca23eefdf9c8e08be&oe=5E6766F0
Nice Chunk of Beef there Cookie :wink: Whats that Crust consist of ? RJ

Gateholio
12-26-2019, 05:23 PM
Sea salt and cracked pepper. You kinda knock the salt off before eating, it's just for flavouring while cooking.

REMINGTON JIM
12-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Hmm - Would that not make drippings a Little TOO salty for gravy :confused: RJ

Gateholio
12-26-2019, 08:36 PM
yup, it;s pretty salty

Piperdown
12-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Ok, ok, i am hungry again but we need some pictures of these fine birds nice looking prime rib, if i was to eat beef again that would be the one :)

IronNoggin
12-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Ok, ok, i am hungry again but we need some pictures of these fine birds...

Just for YOU Buddy! Going to be a few posts now to deal with them all...

12 lb bird. Had to use 6 gallons to drown it in the cooler, so jumped the sea salt to 3 lbs, and the brown sugar to 3 cups:

https://i.imgur.com/zil6jdB.jpg

4.5 hours later, I gave it a good rinse:

https://i.imgur.com/BYjaWLn.jpg

A quick pat dry:

https://i.imgur.com/icT58sv.jpg

Then into the fridge overnight:

https://i.imgur.com/nHvM8P0.jpg

Came out quite dry the next afternoon:

https://i.imgur.com/3NN6XNg.jpg

Continued...

IronNoggin
12-29-2019, 03:38 PM
Ingredients for the stuffing that went into the buzzard:

https://i.imgur.com/ar4ZBr5.jpg

Stuffing mixed:

https://i.imgur.com/z0gPN7K.jpg

Bird Stuffed, Trussed, Buttered & Spiced:

https://i.imgur.com/82CJUNB.jpg

Into Roaster on the roasting grill:

https://i.imgur.com/H0a6n6w.jpg

Then into the oven at 400 F:

https://i.imgur.com/qKEncXw.jpg

Continued...

IronNoggin
12-29-2019, 03:44 PM
An hour later heat dropped to 250 for a couple hours, then pulled & flipped the bird:

https://i.imgur.com/EEKnisF.jpg

Back in at 400 with thermometer in place. While it finished, on with the trimmings...

Stuffing Mix:

https://i.imgur.com/3roSWG2.jpg

A little Bacon to get things going:

https://i.imgur.com/WAMnytp.jpg

Mix ready for the oven as the bird came out - Breast meat exactly 165 F, Skin very nice and crunchy!

https://i.imgur.com/5ZKlM9s.jpg

Then covered to rest a spell:

https://i.imgur.com/Y48CSM2.jpg

Continued...

IronNoggin
12-29-2019, 03:47 PM
I failed to get any pictures of the slicing and dicing.
But The Lady said it was the most tender and juiciest turkey she had ever had.
I simply had to agree!! Won't be doing them any other way down the road...

https://i.imgur.com/MhlQ15u.jpg

Merry Christmas Indeed!

https://i.imgur.com/r8lGyxq.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Arizona Ranger
12-29-2019, 07:13 PM
I failed to get any pictures of the slicing and dicing.
But The Lady said it was the most tender and juiciest turkey she had ever had.
I simply had to agree!! Won't be doing them any other way down the road...

https://i.imgur.com/MhlQ15u.jpg

Merry Christmas Indeed!

https://i.imgur.com/r8lGyxq.jpg

Cheers,
Nog

Sorry, you neglected to give me your address. What was it again??:grin: Looks good guy. All the best to you & yours in the New Year.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-25-2020, 09:52 AM
Fiancé and I brined our first bird.
Will report back after supper.

Merry Christmas to you all!

SSS

Ride Red
12-25-2020, 10:28 AM
Brined bird is the only way to go. :)

Gateholio
12-25-2020, 10:45 AM
Fiancé and I brined our first bird.
Will report back after supper.

Merry Christmas to you all!

SSS

It took you TWLEVE years to get in on this brine thing? :) :)

Merry Christmas, let us know how it turned out. It's a bit of an epiphany for many people. :)

Stone Sheep Steve
12-25-2020, 11:24 AM
It took you TWLEVE years to get in on this brine thing? :) :)

Merry Christmas, let us know how it turned out. It's a bit of an epiphany for many people. :)

Haha!
While I used to do the vast majority of the cooking in the household(in my former relationship), I never did the Turkey.

Things have now changed .....for the better.... in every way.

SSS

IronNoggin
12-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Doing a rather plump farmed duck today.
No brine required...

Cheers,
Nog

srthomas75
12-25-2020, 02:08 PM
I've never brined one yet. But I've only ever cooked a turkey on my bbq rotisserie and they have all been moist. Do you think a brine would make a difference for a bbq rotisserie method ? The only downside to this method is that there are next to zero drippings to be used for gravy. merry christmas folks

Angus
12-26-2020, 08:39 AM
Since I saw this post a few years ago, I have always brined my turkeys.

This year, I smoked a turkey (well most of it) for my wee mum, using my Weber charcoal grill. I do a lot of work with my Weber (ribs, chicken, pulled pork), but this turkey (well, parts of it) turned out better than anything I have ever made on this grill. May have to look at doing two batches next year to smoke the entire bird.

As always, thanks Gates for steering me in the right direction.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Turkey_done.JPG

Stone Sheep Steve
12-26-2020, 09:20 AM
Turkey was moist as expected.
It was a 14lb bird. Probably should have cut the time at 250F down to 1.5 hrs so the breast side had more time to brown at 400F. Breast was up to temp before the skin got to the desired crispness.

Turkey is always a pile of work and so busy near the end.
Probably go back to a nice rib roast for special occasions. Those leftovers don’t last for 4 days like turkey does. Lol

SSS

Gateholio
10-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Thanksgiving is here. Get your brine ready, folks! :)

boxhitch
10-08-2021, 09:52 PM
Brine and spatchcock this year

Beachcomber
12-24-2021, 06:08 PM
Annual Christmas bump for this one.

Merry Christmas!

walks with deer
12-24-2021, 06:25 PM
Just did a chicken that way ummm. Tonights dinner...home raises huge chicken of course.

Fella
12-24-2021, 08:33 PM
Brined a 16 pounder 24 hours for dinner tonight. I’ve done 4 or 5 turkeys this way but this was the best one yet. Fresh organic turkey beats the frozen ones hands down.

Gateholio
12-22-2022, 10:41 AM
Better bump this!

RugDoctor
12-22-2022, 10:49 AM
Starting my brine tomorrow for Saturday on the smoker.

digger dogger
12-22-2022, 04:32 PM
Brine is ready here! ��

TARCHER
12-22-2022, 04:44 PM
Have been doing this since it was first posted(thanks Gates) It works so amazing. Utility grade becomes AA overnight.

mike31154
12-22-2022, 08:17 PM
Last year I did a small turkey on my BBQ using the rotisserie. My BBQ has one of those indirect burners at the back just below the lid. I stuffed it with various herbs, veggies, potatoes & skewered a lemon on the rod before sliding the bird on. Also put a tray with more potatoes underneath to catch the drippings. Don't recall if I did anything else to the bird other than perhaps a light salting of the outside. Alumimun foil on the wings to keep them from burning. Turned out fantasmagorical.

RiverOtter
12-22-2022, 10:20 PM
Not sure how I missed this thread all these years. :)
I'm about a dozen birds deep now, between Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving over the years.
I've always stuck with a bourbon and maple syrup brine that I borrowed from Steven Reichlan.

Nothing like a brined and smoked bird.
And if you're willing to part with some leftover meat, smoked turkey soup is one of my favourites. Mirepoix and turkey carcass simmered for a couple hours, then strained. Add fresh carrots, celery and lastly cooked rice and leftover turkey meat with a smidgen of lemon juice and salt to taste. Pure deliciousness!

high horse Hal
12-23-2022, 10:31 AM
when cutting for spachcock we use the backs for soup and broth, they add up over a year as we like turkey better than chicken throughout

elimsprint
12-23-2022, 11:14 AM
A good read on BBQing turkeys with lots of info https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/ultimate-bbq-turkey-recipe/