PDA

View Full Version : how much do I really need to spend on binocs?

pupper
10-03-2005, 12:24 AM
im looking to buy a new set of binocs, and would like to spend around the 300 dollar range.

any experience on the subject would be of help

pupper

Has anybody heard of Brunton optics? any feedback?

brotherjack
10-03-2005, 05:00 AM
I got a little pair of 10x32 Bushnell's for $69.99 at Wal-Mart that have served me dang well. In general, I'm fond of Bushnell/Tasco for optical products - they're great gear for the money, and if you ever have a problem, their customer service is absolutely superb. Just my $0.02.

sealevel
10-03-2005, 05:42 AM
pupper i got a pair of leapold windriver i think they were 340 i like them nice and clear.

Thunderstix
10-03-2005, 05:46 AM
Sealevel is on the level with what he says.

hitch
10-03-2005, 06:48 AM
I would go with 10X as they are the most versitile especially if you start to do any mountain hunting. I would also spend as much as you can. With most things you get what you pay for. Just for shits and giggles take a pair in every price range outside and look. You'll be amazed. Optic are one of the few crucial pieces of equipment for hunting. I've spent hundreds on several pair of lesser quality bino's. I went big a few years ago and not only are they the best thing for hunting I have ever bought but also the better bino's come with LIFE time warranty.

ex bc guide
10-03-2005, 08:24 AM
I would suggest getting the best that you can afford, this is one item I would not go cheap on.
Mike

Tarp Man
10-03-2005, 08:36 AM
I purchased a pair of Bushnell Legends 10X42 roof prism and have been super happy with them. Rainguard, which works as it claims, lifetime guarantee, waterproof, fogproof, and a good price. I paid 399 for mine. A compact pair will be closer to your price range. The Leupolds are nice also, but if you read carefully, their warranty is only 1 or 2 years, not like their scopes. Only their newq golden ring ones are life time covered. Bushnell also has a new model out, but sans Rainguard. It might be closer to your pricepoint. Do as others say and go shopping around dusk when the light outside matches the typical hunting light. Looking across the store doesn't count. Take your time and spend a bit more than you thought, cause you won't regret it. I know I don't.
-Tarp Man

10-03-2005, 09:07 AM
I would suggest getting the best that you can afford, this is one item I would not go cheap on.

X2.... Its one of the pieces of hunting gear that will serve you well your whole hunting career without wearing out, or loosing any of the original qualities you bought them with, so the best you can afford we be a good piece of advice.

Kirby
10-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Follow Sealevels advice. The Leupold wind rivers are good bino's.

Kirby

BlacktailStalker
10-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Yup save that $300 3 or 4 more times and get something decent. Plus if you spend more than you wanted to you'll think about it everythime you are out and use them more and spot more game :) The only reason i say this is because I bought 2 pairs of crappers and then went big. Coulda saved $400 if I hadn't.

270WIN
10-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I am third on these The Leupold wind rivers are good bino's.

i have a 10 x 50 wich may be on the large side for carring but i have them on bino buddy and can carrie for hours with no tiring as all the waits on the shoulders

Schutzen
10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
For the $ you can't beat Nikon binos, I have a pair of Venturers that are just outstanding they are 8x25. I think they were about $200.00 and well worth every penny. I have had them for about a dozen years now and they are treat to use Theres a newer version available now but I would not hesitate to get them either.
Most guys can do just fine with these type of binos but if your doing alot of serious trophy hunting then something like a good quality 9x32 or 10x might suit better. The thing with 10x is they are a little harder to steady for some especially if your freehanding them versus leaning on someting like your knees for instance. I heartily agree that binos are the proper ting and spend what you can afford on them. I would do some review searches first tho on google . I bought my last pair on the recomendation of a Consumer report test and they were right on!
Good luck.

ex bc guide
10-03-2005, 05:38 PM
I have a pair of nikon 8x40s they are great on clear days, with overcast weather and rain I do not find them to be all that great, they are not so good at counting points a long ranges,I think my next pair will be 10x50s zeiss I was looking at them the other day,but they do come with a heavy price tag.
Mike

rock
10-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Very inportant piece of equipment when hunting , purchase what you can afford bigger the lense draws in more light, smaller less light, I carry 2 most of the time, just a habit I've had for many years. As everybody say's the more there worth usaully the quality goes with it, I learned that a long while ago.

Nails
10-04-2005, 07:35 PM
I purchased a pair of Bushnell Legends 10X42 roof prism and have been super happy with them .

I presently have a pair of pentex 8x compacts. Great for the heavy timber. I have tried a buddies pair of bushnell legends 10x42 in the field and there great. For the price of $400.00 these binos are my next purchase. Just having the extra magnification makes a difference along with the clairity.

Leupold wind rivers I am not familar with, I have heard wind river products seem to be good also. If money was not a issue then that would be a whole different issue for responses.

7 mag
10-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Hold on thar just a doggone minute!
Before ya go go runn'in round throw'in money away, Have a scan on Ebay.
I have picked up some pretty fine optics on Ebay.ca for bargin prices, Worth a look.

todbartell
10-04-2005, 11:29 PM
$300-400 is good.

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42's which I got for $400 and I like them.

1/2 slam
10-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Save your money and get some good ones. Pentax DCF series are great. I own 2 pair. No offence to anyone but the compacts are ,for the most part, garbage. I've had guys claim their compacts were fine. They then looked through my 10 x 42 Pentax's and realized how bad their compacts really were. The old adage "you get what you pay for is true.

7 mag is right. Have a look on e-bay. My buddy saved about 200 on the pentax's he bought.

rrfred
10-09-2005, 03:05 PM
On tight budget this year- needed a second pair for my son- so I scooped a pair of 10x36 nikons this summer, pretty good stuff for bout '225ish. also have a waterproof pair of nikons with almost 10 years of good service to report.

Darren
10-09-2005, 07:02 PM
I bought a pair of leupold wind river 10 x 40 cascades after last season and I have seen a ton more game this season because of them. As everyone else has said, binos are not something you wanna cheap out on. I am quite happy with mine, I think they were just under $500. I would be interested to compare mine to something more expensive like swavarskis though to see what the noticeable difference is. 10 x is about as big as you wanna go though as any more magnification is too much to hold steady.

Steeleco
10-09-2005, 07:18 PM
I can only speak to the one's I own, but the Nikon Egret's I bought about 6 years ago have been very good, they're 8x40 which as mentioned are a little lacking when it comes to point counting at distance, but they were only $200. For your budget and today's productline they are at least worth a look.

I got mine from London Drugs in Abby back then and I believe they still carry Nikon.

1/2 slam
10-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Darren,

Although I've never looked through the Leupolds I suspect they are a good glass. I can speak of the comparrison of Pentax to the way more expensive German glass. Field and stream did a comparrison a few years back and the pentax came out on top. Way more bang for the buck. Most high end Japanese glasses are very good now.You're right about seeing more game with a good pair of bino's

youngfellla
10-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Leupold 10x50 Wind River Mesa - one sweet pair of binos. Good price too.

Schutzen
10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Bino's are a real personal preference thing.
If you spent 400 bucks on a pair of binos good for you. BUT you don't have to spend that to get a great pair of bino's. If big bino's turn your crank... fine but unless your trying to judge trophies constantly...why?? Most of us only need compacts really and if you shop a little and check out reviews etc. you'll find there are some dandys.
As I previously mentioned I really like my Nikon 8x25 and they are crystal clear and extremely sharp. I have seen the similiar Pentax and they are good also. I can tuck mine in my jacket pocket so they don't flop around and they are not hvy.
When I need to judge an animal I rely on a spotting scope mostly if possible cuz I find that hi power binos just are too hard for me to steady enuf unless I have the luxury of a good rest for them.
On the other hand I own way to many knives so whatever I saved on the bino's I guess i blew it on the knives.lol

Darren
10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
The better light transmission in the more expensive binoculars was my main reason for buying them, besides the non fog, and waterproof, but after using them, even on the nice sunny days, the difference in clarity is quite noticable. The binos I had before were very cheap though. As others have said, your best bet is to compare several models, at different price ranges, right when its almost dark out.

Walksalot
10-16-2005, 05:48 PM
My son picked up a pair of Bushnell H2Os and they are not bad at all. There were deer in the field above us at first light and I could tell one was a spike.

Steyr
10-22-2005, 01:29 PM
I have a pair of Bushnell Legends 10x42. They're rubber armoured and a bit heavy but feel robust and solid. I throw them in my pack and they get banged up alot. So far, no problems.The Rainguard works really well especially for hunting southwestern BC. Nitro purged, fog/water proof...I'm really happy with mine. The glass is pretty good.

Ordered them from binocularscanada for $321.60. Only had to pay one tax! At my door step in 2 days. Check it out:

http://www.binocularscanada.com/eNet-cart/product.asp?pid=130142&type=1,5

Jetboater
10-22-2005, 03:18 PM
SPEND as much as you can afford, I have swarovski SLC 10x42 and man do I wish they were the EL s after I looked through my friends, I know they are expensive but if you cant see it you cant shoot it.
I spend sometimes up to three hours looking through my binos so the better quality the less eye fatigue you get.
I have improved as a hunter since I got my SLC s because I use them more than any binocular that I had.
I owe 2 elk ,a couple of mulies and half a dozen blacktails to these binos.
well worth every penny

islandarcher
10-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Eagle optics are supposed to be pretty good, in the 400 range. http://store.yahoo.com/eagleopticscanada/index.htmlNikons aren't too bad either. I do not know what bausch and laumbs are like anymore, I heard they were bought a few years ago. Spend as much as you can though, I own Leicas, and even though they cost a ton, they are worth every penny to me.

huntwriter
11-14-2005, 02:09 AM
For 400 you can get some very decent quality binos. As it has been said here go and shop around. Leupold, Bushnell, especially their Trophy and Legend line are very good quality, foog proof, waterproof, and lifetime guarantie.

For general purpose pick something in the range of 8 x 40, 10 x 40 or 10 x 50. They are heavy to carry but well worth it if you use them a lot and you should use them a lot.

Personally I would feel naked without binos in the woods and use them constantly. See deer before they see you;). What has not been said here but is important, cheap binos can give you a terrible headache just from the strain they cause on your eyes.

I use for many years Swarovski binos the SLC line, spotting scopes plus rifle scopes and I am more than pleased with them they are indestructable. I have dropped them out of treestands and banged on to trees and rocks and they are still perfect. The price of Swarovski is not for tha faint hearted but they are worth every cent in my opinion. I know that I never ever will have to buy another pair of binos they will still be around when I am long gone.

Nails
11-14-2005, 06:22 AM
I checked the binoculars canada web site out. Pretty good info and prices.

houndogger
11-14-2005, 07:16 AM
I was given a pair of Stieners 9 by 40s last year by a client I guided for moose. Great binos compared to what I had. If I was rich I would have a pair of 10 by 42 swaraskis in a heart beat.