PDA

View Full Version : Franchi shotguns

CoqTrophys
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
New to the waterfowl game and I am getting really addicted. I am thinking about getting myself a new semi auto 12 guage but i know the semi's can be a nightmare if you get one that doesn't like to cycle. I will be shooting 3" steel for hunting and 2 3/4 for targets. I can get my hands on a Franchi Variomax for a good deal but i dont know how the franchi guns are??? Any thaughts on the Franchi or any other gun would be great. Thanks.

Chuck
12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
All I know is that a fellow I met some while ago had trouble with his cycling his reloads. He had no trouble with factory rounds. I don't know what ever became of it as I lost touch with him. I believe the gun was bought new back in the mid 1990's.

dutchie
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I was going to get a Semi and I was set on it.Pump was out of the question for me. (look at my post)

In the end I got a Benelli Supernova (pump) because for a GOOD long lasting semi you must spend a minimum of about $1400 brand new. I looked at the Franchi and they are a model up from Stoeger and a model down from Benelli, in the Semi autos.

And it is a used gun, they are $900 brand new, so are you getting a great deal on it? or is it just a used sale.

The new franchi's are all inertia driven which is great but how was the gun broken in? For them to cycle target loads consistantly you should have about 4-5 box's of 3 1/2" magnums to loosen the spring up properly.

With out telling him, ask him how he broke the gun in... don't ask if he broke it in with 3 1/2" mags. because this is the #1 reason a inertia driven semi shotgun will not cycle all loads properly.

dutchie

CoqTrophys
12-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys glad to get some feedback. I was also looking at the supernova. I dont have the money to spend on a top of the line semi and i think that will be a problem in the future, hence the reason i am looking at the supernova. Do you find they are a bit on the heavy side? Also how is the kick on the supernova compared to the nova?

Johnnybear
12-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Get a Browning or Winnie in the Semi-s. Warranty and Parts are readily available. I love the videos by Patrick Flannigan.

http://www.patrickflanigan.com/
This guy is amazing and brings a whole new level to the world of shotgunning. Just like Moto cross etc. I think it is really cool what he is doing for the shooting sports IMO.

I shoot a Browing BPS (pump) and love the gun.

Ian F.
12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Franchi's are good guns, but which Franchi is the question.

Franchi is part of the Berretta empire which includes Berretta, Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Saco, Tikka, Burris and a couple of others. Being a conglomerate the tecnology of one "company" gets shared with another. The benelli inertial action shared around extensively within the companies.

With that said you really should shoot an inertial gun before you buy them, they are not for everyone.

Now lets separate Semi as a category from pumps. Semi "can" have lighter recoil especially gas opperated guns. Some don't like inertial becuase of percieved increased recoil (remember something is blowing back the bolt assembly). Reliability is a 2 parter, first part is taking care of the gun and it goes with any, but if you take care of it, clean it once in awhile no worries! These are modern guns and preform as such, the issues of reliability are things of past. IMHO semi or pump is just a choice.

The second is knowing/matching your loads to your gun. 3 1/2" guns tend to need heavier target loads then 3" guns, just a fact of having the ability to shoot the bigger loads. Inertial do tend to need heavier target loads to cycle then gas guns. So you'd be looking at 1 1/8oz loads most likely versus 1oz's.

I shoot a Super X2 3" field and they go for $1000 +/- and has it shot everything from 7/8oz superlight target loads to full tilt 1 3/8oz, 3"s, in fact I call my gun the whore becuase it'll take it all!

Shoot it first if you can, or any auto and many of your questiosn will be answered.

Ian

Sunny
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
usually semi auto divided sport and field if you have a field gun using field amm will be no problem if you want to shoot at gun club you only need to buy 3dram high power target load that will fine. Franchi is very nice gun light weight good for upland or waterfow

Don_Abbate
12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
how about a Beretta A391 Urika 12 gauge i just bought a new shotgun so i was thinking about selling it

mynameispete
12-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I shoot a Winchester super x2 and have had NO problems with any loads. My Father in law shoots a Beretta Urika gold and he's had no problems either...

If your going to get a pump look at the Browning BPS. Very Smooth action! I also have a Remington 870 pump and it jams all the time.....

CoqTrophys
12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys. It really helps hearing from experience rather then shootin from the hip.

dutchie
12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
I come from big game hunting so the 3.5" mag feels like a target load to me... i actually don't really feel the differance between the 3 1/2" and 2 3/4". if the recoil is a big issue then get the mercury balast in the stock for re-coil reduction... i think that it is $75 extra if the re-coil is too much

The biggest differance between the Nova and Super Nova is the comfortech stock (recoil reduction) and the adjustable stock, and the weight is not an issue at all. 7 lbs and 8 lbs is nothing considering you are only holding the gun when a flock is coming in.

this is a great gun and the price is good too.

My dad was shooting a 870 and tried my supernova and bought another one a few days later!