PDA

View Full Version : new to waterfouling. is this a good gun?

kastles
12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
i'm looking fo a shottie to get me out duck and goose hunting. i have never gone nor do i know much about it. would this gun be enough to hunt geese with?

Shotgun Remington 870 Express, Pump Action, 12GA,28” Barrel w/ screw in choke; use 2 ¾ or 3’’ shells in magnum receivers

kastles

Marc
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
The Remington 870 is probably the most reliable pump on the market. It will definitely kill birds. If your shooting birds over decoys it's more then enough gun for ducks or geese. The only thing better then this would be an ultimag in 3 1/2 inch and for the majority of the applications is not necessary.

kastles
12-07-2008, 03:20 PM
thanks. any idea what it would be worth? i've got my eye on one for 480, never been fired, small mark in the foregrip, 10 years old. good deal?

MichelD
12-07-2008, 03:25 PM
I have one. Paid $250 for a new condition barely used example. They're very affordable new too.

$329.99 from SIR/Cabela's in Winnipeg. (add tax and handling costs)

Marc
12-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't think they've changed much in 10 years but if I was going to pay that much I'd go a little further and go new. Check this bad boy out.

http://www.grouseriver.com/Remington_Model_870_Express_SM_p/gun-000036.htm

Phoneguy
12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I think I just saw an ad in the hunting synopsis for Reliable, a little of $300 new. Check your local shops...

rishu_pepper
12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
480 for an Express 870 (used) is a lousy deal. You can get one in virtually any gun shop for 3xx. Check out the CGN EE, deals often pop up and you may be able to grab one for about 250.

MacK
12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I have the 870 Express 12 guage and it works great for ducks, I traded in the 28" barrel for a 30", and it has definatley improved the longer shots.

kastles
12-07-2008, 06:19 PM
well now that i'm looking at new(rubber arm), some more questions.

1. "2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch interchangeably" means it shoots all sizes but some thing has to be changed internally?

2. do i need a rifled barrell for shooting slugs?

3. can the choke be changed? eg 870

thanks for all the advise thus far. more questions to come :)

Marc
12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Here are some answers for you, hope it helps.

well now that i'm looking at new(rubber arm), some more questions.

1. "2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch interchangeably" means it shoots all sizes but some thing has to be changed internally? No it will chamber anything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch.

2. do i need a rifled barrell for shooting slugs? No you don't but it can improve your grouping by having a rifled barrel for shooting slugs.

3. can the choke be changed? eg 870 Not to many that come with a hard choke anymore I was just looking at the Remington site and it has the Rem choke system so interchangeable chokes.

thanks for all the advise thus far. more questions to come :)

longshot
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
We have two 12 gauge 870's for me and my son. Shoots 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 inch. 28" barrels with mod. choke. Synthetic stock. Check out reliable gun in vancouver. they have a website if you google it. Brand new is i think around $450.

They great guns and very reliable. total weather proof and can be used in any condition. Must agree, best pump on the market.

As for ammo that will fit in the gun... as long as it says 12 gauge on it, it will fit and shoot in this gun. (Note: 3 1/2" = Brain shaker)

Good Luck,

Longshot

Marc
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
(Note: 3 1/2" = Brain shaker)

That's weird because with my 11-87 XCS ultimag I can't tell the difference between the 2 3/4 to the 3 1/2 inch, but then again mine has their limbsaver recoil pad on it as well which could make the difference.

kastles
12-07-2008, 07:50 PM
if i had the notion to to hunt deer via slugs, would i be able to swap in any rifles 12g barrells made for the 870, even if they are 3 inch on a 3 1/2" super mag? thanks

kastles

Marc
12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
if i had the notion to to hunt deer via slugs, would i be able to swap in any rifles 12g barrells made for the 870, even if they are 3 inch on a 3 1/2" super mag? thanks

kastles

I'm not 100% sure on that one. You'd have to ask that question to the dealer or someone that has one. I personally wouldn't worry to much about putting a slug barrel on a shotgun. If I was hunting somewhere slugs are allowed I'd probably be using my rifle. Not to many places that allow slugs but not rifles.

Ian F.
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
You need to match the receiver to the barrel, and don't worry about a rifled barrel, you can get an extended rifled choke tube that'll do the job. Mine shoots Sabot slugs in 6" groups, no sights..

I wouldn't worry about 3 1/2"

Ian

rishu_pepper
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM

kastles

As long as you get a Super Mag (fits shells up to 3 1/2") you can fire 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/2" shells out of any barrel, rifled or smooth. Like Ian said, it's the receiver that matters, not the barrel. But also like he said, 3" and 3 1/2" don't make THAT much of a diff., at least not while deer hunting :wink:

Crazy_Farmer
12-07-2008, 08:54 PM
By the time the birds are in range, the recoil is the last thing your thinking of. 3.5" do kick harder or I should say you notice it more if your just shooting it say for fun or at a range but in the field you shouldnt notice it.

Johnnybear
12-07-2008, 09:42 PM
By the time the birds are in range, the recoil is the last thing your thinking of. 3.5" do kick harder or I should say you notice it more if your just shooting it say for fun or at a range but in the field you shouldnt notice it.

Great post C_F:grin:.

kastles
12-07-2008, 09:56 PM
hope fully last questions of the night. steel and lead shot through the same barrell? would you recommend a stoeger over an 870? i figure the 870 is the honda civic of shotties for a reason but a friend passed on advice he got that the stoeger is better. i appreciate all the help.

kastles

Malley Whacker
12-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Great Gun I own 2 870's one I have had for over 20 years shot thousands of rounds with little trouble best gun for the money you can upgrade from there you will not be disappointed

Marc
12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
As long as you get a Super Mag (fits shells up to 3 1/2") you can fire 2 3/4", 3", 3 1/2" shells out of any barrel, rifled or smooth. Like Ian said, it's the receiver that matters, not the barrel. But also like he said, 3" and 3 1/2" don't make THAT much of a diff., at least not while deer hunting :wink:

I was just looking at the remington site and it's weird. You can't interchange the barrels it has to be a super mag barrel for the 11-87 but the 870 can interchange between supermag down to a 3 inch or even a 2 3/4 inch chamber barrels.

rishu_pepper
12-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I was just looking at the remington site and it's weird. You can't interchange the barrels it has to be a super mag barrel for the 11-87 but the 870 can interchange between supermag down to a 3 inch or even a 2 3/4 inch chamber barrels.

I was only referring to 870, I have no idea about the 11-87..? :-? Must be something to do with the semi action.

hope fully last questions of the night. steel and lead shot through the same barrell? would you recommend a stoeger over an 870? i figure the 870 is the honda civic of shotties for a reason but a friend passed on advice he got that the stoeger is better. i appreciate all the help.

kastles

In any modern shotgun you can fire both lead and steel out of the barrel. No lead for waterfowl though.

kyleklassen
01-20-2009, 11:45 PM
870 express magnum is the toughest shotgun ever built, in my opinion. had mine for 15yrs plus. thousands of rounds through it . went all through my high school years with it always on a salt marsh, 1 year i only missed 8 days of duck hunting , and that was because we were up north for moose. (even christmas day, we had a big fight with the anti's about that later). that gun was an ice breaker, paddle, club , shovel been dropped (on land and in the ocean) drove over( wasn't me but it was my gun) been to b.c ,sask., alb.shot waterfowl, grouse and thousands of clay pigeons.doesn't have the original wood stocks on it , they were badly swollen from the water so i bought a set of black ram-lines and threw a sling on it and it is still my number 1 gun. its only cleaned 1 time a year other tham just the wd-40 hose down to keep the rust off. when i do the full takedown at the end of the season , you should see the crap come out of it. never had a problem with this gun. friend of mine bought the same gun but super mag 3 1/2, i don't know how many times we were out pigeon shootin' and he was jammed up or shootin' rusty steel's from last year and he'd be jammed. i shoot the same stuff and have never had a problem. remington should have kept track of this gun and do a commercial about it.

01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I have to, one standard 870 and one with a turkey grip and 28" barrel. the thumb hole is very comfortable and It is all I use now. Try shouldering a few different guns before making a decision. what ever feels better.

01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
O and do not but a Stoeger!!!!!! I originally got one of those from reliable, but it jammed every third shot, so I took it back and John from reliable gave me another one to try, but the same problem happened again. At that point I was fairly fed up with the gun and ready to sell it, but John was nice enough to give me a full refund and let me get the 870.