PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Gun

Crazy_Farmer
12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Well I thought I'd finally get around to cleaning my gun after 2 1/2 months and hunting over 25+ days in the field so far. I cleaned it right before the season started and thought it might last till later but its just way to gummed up now. Still cycles and functions flawlessly, my sx2 has never had a single problem, not one jam, but I could tell opening the action kept getting harder and harder.

I normally clean my gun once a month so its not too bad but heres the before and after. Sure is a lot of build up, I took it down completely. Its funny how the residue goes everywhere, builds right onto the barrel which takes a bit to rub off. The whole underside of the gun was pretty much black.

Before

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dirtygun_640x480.jpg

The After
It sure pulls back nice and easy again, I'm always amazed how a little bit of oil and solvent will take it all off in one swipe. The piston is always fun to clean too, but notice how black it is before and then clean after. I get the toothbrush out for it, :tongue:

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/dirtygun2_640x480.jpg

fowl language
12-05-2008, 09:50 PM
im starting on my third case of shells with my sx3 and still havent cleaned it.kind of a testiment to the sx series.i will probably clean it before the dec. opener as they dont like cold weather when they are dirty.....fowl

Crazy_Farmer
12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Yep I agree, as soon as it hits the minus degrees my gun still cycles good, but you can tell if you have to too oil or anything in there it'll start to clog it and slow it down.

My brothers sbeII on the other hand, after a full season it barely looks like he's shot a case through it. Great guns I think, but my sx2 fits me like a glove and I love to shoot it so why change.

Kitimat Killer
12-05-2008, 10:02 PM
i just bought the sx3 and have cleaned it after every time i go out new to the whole semi thing did not clean as much with my old 870 hey farmer what do you use on the bbl i read not to use oil on the camo finish what do you guys use thanks

kk

Crazy_Farmer
12-05-2008, 10:09 PM
i just bought the sx3 and have cleaned it after every time i go out new to the whole semi thing did not clean as much with my old 870 hey farmer what do you use on the bbl i read not to use oil on the camo finish what do you guys use thanks

kk

I normally just wipe down with water on a damp cloth, just the outside surfaces. I have gotten oil on the barrel a ton of times. Never had one issue with the coating. But I have heard that some products can eat away at the camo. But if you're also hunting on the salt a good clean outside and inside is a good idea.

Ian F.
12-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I've been using shooters choice something cleaner on the "space shuttle", spray it, let it sit an hour, and then blast it out with carb cleaner, messy, but works slick...

How bout you boys, what's working for you?

Ian

P.S. don't forget the magazine and the spring which does rust!

Kitimat Killer
12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
i take apart every thing cuz i do hunt salt and im the same with the soapy water but just wondering what you guys use thanks alot the salt out here just kills your guns thats why i clean mine every time i come back

kk

f350ps
12-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I've got an SX3 also and I throw it in the bath tub and wash it down with hot soapy water then blow it all out with compressed air. A little G96 and yer good to go. I found that ya gotta go light on the oil though. I'm on the second case of 1 1/16th oz. loads and not a hang up yet. K

fowl language
12-06-2008, 07:31 PM
same as you kelly, really hot water in the guts till the water runs clean ,compressed air and let dry and g96 unless its cold then no oil only dry graffite that you use on locks.....fowl

Chuck
12-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Well I don't mean to sound like a ******, but am I missing something here or what? What I mean to say is what has changed since I was taught to clean my first new gun?

My Dad taught that if I handle it just for fun and to look it over without even using it, then it must be wiped down thoroughly with an oily cloth before putting it away. But if I took it out hunting into the field and used it or not, then it had to be dismantled completely, cleaned thoroughly and finally wiped down with an oily cloth before putting it away for the day. I still do this.

Was my Dad wrong to teach me to take care of my tools and belongings in this way or do they make tougher stuff today?

rishu_pepper
12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Last season I cleaned my SX3 more vigilantly because it was new :D But now after a good number of outings I've only done one complete strip and that was because it was eating dust in front of a quad for 3-4 days.

I use Breakfree CLP on every part of the gun (synth., no camo), works well. Can't blame bad shooting on the gun :biggrin: Today was a so-so day in the field.

Crazy_Farmer
12-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Was my Dad wrong to teach me to take care of my tools and belongings in this way or do they make tougher stuff today?

Well I think it depends how often you hunt. Theres no way I'd completely clean my gun after each hunt. That'd be like 10-15 times a month. Say a hour each time to do a good job. Thats atleast 10 hours I aint getting back when I could clean it once that month and do the same job. I know in most gun manuals it states you should clean the gun after every use.

My dad taught me to clean my pump shotguns twice a year. Once before the season, once after.

I think stuff today for the most part is more reliable then older guns. I can understand cleaning an old pump, or auto5 everytime which is notorius for not working right if too much oil gets in the system.

longshot
12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
We (well "he") usually cleans our guns at the maximum 24 hours after a hunt.

My son cleans our 2 year old 870's after every hunt. Inside and out and a total wipe down. He is VERY picky of how they are cleaned. there can't be speck of dirt anywhere. He will also only put the choke tube back in if the threads in the barrel and choke are spotless. When he puts the chokes back, He sits it in the barrel, gives it a spin, and goes all the way down in one spin. (This is why he doesn't let me clean them :-D)

...it almost seems like they get cleaner every week!

Longshot