PDA

View Full Version : How do I process my deer into mouth watering venison?

bluebuck
12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm hoping to harvest my first deer this weekend and was curious about people's favourite field dressing and meat processing techniques. I know that lots of the taste depends on the sex of the annimal and when the deer is harvested.

I'm curious about things like:

*Do you guys use pepper to protect the meat? (In Victoria, where the heck do you find that much pepper at a good price?)

*Is cheese cloth neccessary?

*How long do you hang it?

*Does soaking the meat in milk make it taste better?

*Do you have a favourite field dressing/processing books?

Bluebuck

BiG Boar
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
field dressing 101 video at most hunting stores. As far as the meat goes, look up a few threads on here using the search feature. There was a lot of info on it already. Search hang deer, or salt deer, or cutting meat. Good luck on your hunt.

bluebuck
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Good call on the search bigbore.

Any ideas on getting cheap pepper in victoria?

huntcoop
12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about the pepper this time of year, unless your out for alot of consecutive days. It's hitting zero most nights now anyway.

newhunterette
12-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Here are the words of 2 very wise HBC members - this was supplied to me to print in the HBC cookbook last year.

TASTE GOOD OR TASTE BAD

This is not a recipe per say, but it is a recipe for good tasting meat. Think how one person says a particular meat is terrible while another finds it delicious. To me there are several factors that make this so. Here is my opinion;
1) If an animal is running when shot, or runs very far after being shot, adrenaline is pumped throughout it's body and the meat tends to taste stronger and be more tough. Never had a problem with a deer, I dropped on the spot, tasting strong.
2) The quicker game is field dressed and cooled the better. Probably the most important rule of all. Important to not nick the stomach, bladder, nor intestines which would definitely taint the meat.
3) If possible rinse blood from the body cavity as soon as you can and trim bruised flesh away from the wound.
4) Venison should hang in 40 degree, or less, temp. For at least 3 days and preferably a week
5) how the meat is handled while butchering can also affect its taste. (I prefer to quarter a deer, de-bone it, freeze it till its semi solid and then cut it into the cuts I want. Wrap it right away, mark the packages and get it back into the freezer as soon as possible.)
6) Finally the age of the animal and its diet have a large effect on the meats taste and tenderness
Other than those simple rules I've never had to do anything to the meat that I wouldn't to a good cut of beef or pork, etc. You'd be surprised though at how many people I've talked to, that complained about the taste of game, that didn't follow one or more of those rules. For instance those that drives around with an animal in the back of their pick-up on a warm day showing it off. That being said, you have guys like a friend of mine that would rather eat a burnt hamburger than a medium rare steak. Go figure????
Spirithawk ^i^

I might add - if you do nick the stomach, bladder, or intestines (or get a gut shot animal, etc), I have found that you can get away with that if you wipe the entire carcass down with a vinegar and water mixture (mostly water), and immediately trim any pieces of meat that are showing signs of turning colour, or smell bad.

My wife has gut shot one, and we've made mistakes and got intestine juices on two or three, and never had any problem by following the above directions.
brotherjack

oldtimer
12-05-2008, 09:08 AM
If you go to realoutdoorproduction.com they have a new video about a great way to field dress a deer.
I use vinegar and water to clean and always cut out and wash the blood shot area. If you nick any part of the intestines just wash it quick. In all my years I have never had a bad animal but I have never had to chase one a long way either. Mike

B.C.Boy(100%)
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
When it comes to butchering your deer, watch youtube 'How to butcher a deer parts I - IV' this is just too easy.

bluebuck
12-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all of the tips! My venison is sooo tasty!

Any reccomendations on field dressing knives or sharpening implements? I think i might get myself a xmas present...

bluebuck

Ron.C
12-17-2008, 03:34 PM
I've used the same Gerber Gator lockblade for over 8 years now. It's has been in over 20 deer and 4 elk. The are under $50 at Canadian Tire and hold an edge very well. You don't need a big knife for this. As far a sharpners, I'm no good with a stone so I have a sharpner with 2 pre-positioned steel posts that let me get my knife razor sharp because it makes it easy to keep the knife at the proper angel when sharpening. I can't remember the manufacturer, but i've seen several like it at outdoor stores.
As far as answers to your questions above,

1. I always carry a couple game bags. Don't buy the cheap Canadian Tire or Walmart game bags. They are completly usesless. This is from
first hand experience. For Deer/elk, spend the $35 and get a pack of elk sized Alaskan Game Bags, which come as a pack of 4. They have a very tight weave, are extremely strong and can be washed and used more than once.

2. as far as pepper goes, there are some articles online and some that say that pepper "MAY" keep some flies away, but not all of them. The best way, in my mind, to keep the flies off the meat in warm weather is to get it in game bags as quick as possible and try and hang it in the shade in a breezy area if possible.

3. Don't know if sex of the animal makes much difference. Maybe if an buck/bull is rutted out, but I've had bucks from early and late season and they have all taseted great.

4. Keep it clean. It absolutely amazes me at how many deer/elk I've seen in the butchers cooler that are covered in hair/dirt/bloodshot meat, and even chainsaw oil! To me, this is what determins how well your game will taste. Get the guts out as soon as possible, get the hide off immediately in warm weather, keep it clean and covered and get it to the cooler asap.

5. If you ask a dozen guys how to butcher a deer, you'll get a dozen different methods. I learned most of what I know about butchering from doing the job a few times with a friend, Bharp. As per above, search this site and do a google search. You'll find lots of different ways. Buy a video as well. I have one made by Outdoor Edge that shows everything from gutting to skinning to quartering to boning and finally butchering. You can only learn so much by watching /or reading but it gives you the basics for when you actually do it. If you are by yourself, just take your time and BE CAREFUL. It's too easy to slice a hand/finger/or forearm while dressing game, especially when your cold hands slip inside that warm body cavity.