PDA

View Full Version : Barta long bow

Johnnybear
12-03-2008, 11:08 PM
OK before anyone spouts off about Tred I just want to know some opinions about the Barta long bow offered by 3 Rivers. My understanding is that this bow is made by Martin. I was looking into long bows and this seems like a good bow for a medium price. I like Martin trad bows as a production bows go and I'm not that good to justify buying an expensive bow. I'm shooting a Martin X200 recurve right now it's 40# and I wanted to get into a long bow in about the 55# catagory (too big a jump?).

Will
12-04-2008, 06:45 PM
... recurve right now it's 40# and I wanted to get into a long bow in about the 55# catagory (too big a jump?).
I shoot a 48 lb recurve, a 55 lb and a 58 lb.
I definately notice a diff between the 48 and the 58...very similar bows but I shoot the 48 much better. MY 55 Lb BP Longbow is a whole different animal and I prefer the feel of Recurves for the most part.

I've never personally held a Barta bow(don't know anyone that has one)...they do look nice. From what I've read though I may lean towards the Tomahawk lines. Abit over a hundred more for the bottom models but Very Nice and plenty of good reviews. I'm partial to the Woodland Hunter. Very Nice !
http://www.3riversarchery.com/images/large/3350X.jpg

And you don't have to Have Tred's sig on your Bow ! :roll:

huntwriter
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I haven’t used a Tred Barta bow but have heard from some folks that did and they say it is a good bow. Tred may not be everyone’s cup of tee but he does understand trad. bowhunting like few others do. Given his good name and status within the industry he would not lend his name to a product that is top notch.

Will
12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
...Given his good name and status within the industry he would not lend his name to a product that is top notch.
:lol::lol::lol:

Johnnybear
12-04-2008, 09:28 PM
So you think I should maybe jump only 10 lbs or less and shoot that for a while or stop at that if that's what I'm comfortable with? I got the 40 lb bow for pratice and form and it it very easy to shoot.

I love those Tomahawk bows as well and thought about them quite a bit especially that woodland hunter.

If I was to stick with recurves I was thinking about the Martin Dreamcatcher.

Will
12-04-2008, 11:01 PM
So you think I should maybe jump only 10 lbs or less and shoot that for a while or stop at that if that's what I'm comfortable with? I got the 40 lb bow for pratice and form and it it very easy to shoot.
40 LB is the Min for BC Hunting (everything except Bison)It will certainly do for awhile;-)

There are certainly far more knowledeable folks on here then me, but I can offer my experiences thus far. Sticking with what you feel you are comfortable with is exactly my point. Far better to shoot a 40 lb'er well then a 60 lb'er that puckers your ars when you pull it:-o

Work up in poundages...time will determine your comfort levels. If you can talk someone into letting you try a heavier bow do so. Better to try it then to buy it and wish you hadn't.

If I was to stick with recurves I was thinking about the Martin Dreamcatcher.

Again I have zero experience with the DreamCatcher but it looks impressive and does have some good reviews and a strong following. Definately couldn't go wrong with one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXAfWLd34QA

I have three ChekMate Recurves... also Dam Good Bows for the Buck !:cool:

huntwriter
12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
… Given his good name and status within the industry he would not lend his name to a product that is top notch.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oops, I let that one slip by me. That happens if you try to do two things at ones.

In no way did I mean to malign Tred. I know him personally and while we do not agree with each other on many things I have to say that we agree on one issue 100%. We both do not lend our name and reputation to any product that is of inferior quality or can’t keep up with what the advertising promises. In short this means, if Tred lends his name to a bow then it is a good quality bow that matches his high standards.

Thanks Will for catching that mistake and make we aware of it.:wink:

Will
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks Will for catching that mistake and make we aware of it.:wink:

No worries I think we all know what you meant ! Just thought it was humorous. It's my curse in life.....:razz:

I respect Tred deeply....one of the Greats no doubt about it. His accomplishments with Trad gear are undisputable and at times has been a Great spokesman for Hunting in general.:cool: