PDA

View Full Version : Sask. whitetail

Blainer
12-03-2008, 04:19 PM
With all the political bul*s*it as of late,I thought I would open a thread on a lighter note.I flew with a pal to Sask. last week in search of the illusive whitetail.I have a cousins husband that is a hunter and with Sask. being a hunter friendly province,we ordered lisc. and tags online and flew for a 4 day hunt.We were done on the morning of the 3rd day as I was the last to pull the trigger.Total 4 hunters,total 4 bucks,great experiance,mind you the airline charged $150 to fly cape and antlers home.I think you can get a westjet flight for that amount.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_01521.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11632&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6747)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_01591.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11734&size=big&cat=&ppuser=6747)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_01541.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11633&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6747)

12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Nice collection of bone there Blainer.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Looks like a great time had by all!!:smile:

BTW-Which airline charged you the extra steep coin?? I maybe flying out there next year and need to plan ahead.

SSS

GoatGuy
12-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Looks like a great time had by all!!:smile:

BTW-Which airline charged you the extra steep coin?? I maybe flying out there next year and need to plan ahead.

SSS

Probably scare Canada. I think they're also charging a handling fee for firearms. If I were you I'd freeze it and put it in a tote.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Probably scare Canada. I think they're also charging a handling fee for firearms. If I were you I'd freeze it and put it in a tote.

Or just give to a mailman passing through:wink:.

SSS

BCrams
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Put frozen cape in a box wrapped and ship via grehound??

GoatGuy
12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Or just give to a mailman passing through:wink:.

SSS

Yeah, that wouldn't be a problem.:smile:

Blainer
12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Probably scare Canada. I think they're also charging a handling fee for firearms. If I were you I'd freeze it and put it in a tote.Indeed correct.They charge $50 for firearm and $150 for antlers.The declaration even asks,are you transporting Antlers?

WoodOx
12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
nice bucks Blainer - good to get away.

grats

bad arrow
12-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Nice bucks Blainer, with all the expense of flying and red tape and all, why wouldn't you drive? just curious, I know its a long drive and would add another 4 days to your trip. I would like to do the same hunt myself.

Blainer
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Nice bucks Blainer, with all the expense of flying and red tape and all, why wouldn't you drive? just curious, I know its a long drive and would add another 4 days to your trip. I would like to do the same hunt myself.
Aeroplan!Total flight costs were under $150 return + shipping of antlers and firearm.Truth be told,I drive a ram 2500 hemi and when we made the decision it was $200 to fill my tank,so we decided against a northern B.C. trip for moose and replaced it with a Sask. whitetail hunt.This was actually a cheap hunt and worth the experiance.

Rattler
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Great collection of bucks.

Thanks for sharing...

Dannybuoy
12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Great collection of bucks.

Thanks for sharing...
x2 theres some beauty's there alright , i am guessing they are even more impressive in real life !

smoke-eater
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
looks like a great season!!

cainer
12-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Sask hunting is addictive eh? there's deer everywhere, and they're rarely small. I might give some thought to flying out there next time-but did you get to keep your meat? Or would that've been extra too?
Great looking wt's by the way. congrats

Blainer
12-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Sask hunting is addictive eh? there's deer everywhere, and they're rarely small. I might give some thought to flying out there next time-but did you get to keep your meat? Or would that've been extra too?
Great looking wt's by the way. congratsWe are having sausage made there and we intend to ship frozen by greyhound.
Reasonably inexpensive.

model88
12-04-2008, 08:41 AM
I made my first trip to Sask this year and it definantly wont be my last:wink: While I never wrapped my tag on a buck, I saw some dandies. I could have shot some that would be about the same size as what I have already on the wall and I went there with the mindset that I wanted bigger.

But there is always next year and after I saw the 179" 6x6 the farmer that we where hunting with had and his 200"+ non-typical....:mrgreen: yeah I will be back.

fozzy
12-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Nice Bucks Blainer!!
This year I drove out solo, about 18 hours each way straight through. It makes for a long drive but worth it, no red tape just red eyes.

.264 Win Mag
12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
What part of Sask did you go? I go there every year, back to where I grew up and lived for 20 years. Love it.

fozzy
12-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a pretty sizeable pilgrimage of HBC'ers to the flat land. I might not make it next year but I'm hoping to make it out there every couple years. Only because the sunrise and sunset are so nice, everyone knows there are no deer there same as Clearwater. :wink:

Blainer
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
What part of Sask did you go? I go there every year, back to where I grew up and lived for 20 years. Love it.
I flew in to Regina and hunted a couple hours south.

knighthunter
12-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Did you check out how much it would be to ship the antlers by bus?

Blainer
12-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Did you check out how much it would be to ship the antlers by bus?Next time I surely will.We were dropped at the airport with our gear and the cape and antlers boxed and assumed they would just be luggage.It was the first we became aware of the cost.I have flown with a firearm on 3 other occassions and never incurred a cost.New rules or cash grab?

buknasty76
12-17-2008, 11:11 AM
looks like a successful trip. where were you in sask.?

johnes50
12-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Nice bucks! Glad to see you had such a successful hunt. I've been thinking of a Saskabush trip for the last few months. Now I'm seriously thinking about it.

pazura19
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
im suppost to be going out there for the first time to hunt some whitetails and these pics are just making me more excited for it!
where abouts did u shoot those? where you hunting on a farm?
when we go up we dont know anyone to hunt there farms so is there still a good chance of bringing home a nice buck?

bowhunterbruce
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
i went out there 3 years ago and couldnt believe my eyes when i saw a horse sized wt with a rack 6 inchs wider then his ears and aproxx 20 to 24 inchs in height.i watched him run from the spot i busted him out off accross the field,once he went over the other side of a little knowl i drove 4/5's of the way then snuck up to the top of it only to see him standing there not 50 yrds away looking straight forward, that bone extended at least 3 or 4 inchs past his friggin nose. a perfect 6x6
he would have been on my wall several times over if it hadnt been sunday of which you cant hunt in sask.i looked for him for the remainder of the week i was there and never saw him again.he had to be around 5 feet at the shoulder and what a fatty.
i ended up with a 165"er and had the time of my life doing it all solo and even found a cheap hotle that only charged me 50 a day and included three squares a day,lunchs was packed and breakfast ready along with coffee in a thermos every morning at 5:00am,it was better then being at home,lol
i cant wait to go back

valleycowboy
05-02-2009, 06:38 AM
bowhunterbruce- sounds like a sweet deal,lol. what part of sask were you in? we went 5 years in a row and hunted around maple creek area. we also found a hotel that was cheap but didn't come with all the extras,lol.

bowhunterbruce
05-02-2009, 07:08 AM
i cant remember the name of the hotel ,but it wasnt very far from turtleford which is up north by st walberg.they only had 4 extra beds in the hotel but it was more so thier residence and the town couldn't have had more then 200 people in it

05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
New regulation being proposed:

This is a draft and has been revised a couple of times but the revised regulation will be in effect this fall. I believe the word "hair" has been removed from Section 3. The key point to remember this fall is to be careful to remove all tissue from skull caps and capes.

Proposed Regulation:
Restriction on import or possession of cervids killed outside of BC

(1) A person commits an offence by possessing or importing cervid heads, hides, hooves, spinal columns, internal organs, and mammary gland harvested outside of British Columbia after April 1, 2009.
(2) For the purpose of this section, a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland includes any part or derivative of a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland.
(3) For the purpose of this section, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of a cervid hide from outside the province if, before entering British Columbia, the hide is detached from the carcass and processed by a tanner or taxidermist prior to import in such a way as to remove all tissue and hair from the hide within five days.
(4) For the purpose of subsection, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of cervid antlers or skull if, before entering British Columbia, these parts are detached from the remainder of the skull and all hide and other tissues has been removed.
(5) For the purpose of subsection, a person is exempted if the cervid or cervid part is imported by or on behalf of a government agency or department of another jurisdiction for the purpose of scientific examination by veterinarian or recognized laboratory in BC, if from the time it enters into BC until it arrive at its intended destination, it is sealed in a waterproof container from which no fluid, tissue, or hair can escape.

scallywag
05-02-2009, 08:34 AM
New regulation being proposed:

This is a draft and has been revised a couple of times but the revised regulation will be in effect this fall. I believe the word "hair" has been removed from Section 3. The key point to remember this fall is to be careful to remove all tissue from skull caps and capes.

Proposed Regulation:
Restriction on import or possession of cervids killed outside of BC

(1) A person commits an offence by possessing or importing cervid heads, hides, hooves, spinal columns, internal organs, and mammary gland harvested outside of British Columbia after April 1, 2009.
(2) For the purpose of this section, a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland includes any part or derivative of a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland.
(3) For the purpose of this section, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of a cervid hide from outside the province if, before entering British Columbia, the hide is detached from the carcass and processed by a tanner or taxidermist prior to import in such a way as to remove all tissue and hair from the hide within five days.
(4) For the purpose of subsection, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of cervid antlers or skull if, before entering British Columbia, these parts are detached from the remainder of the skull and all hide and other tissues has been removed.
(5) For the purpose of subsection, a person is exempted if the cervid or cervid part is imported by or on behalf of a government agency or department of another jurisdiction for the purpose of scientific examination by veterinarian or recognized laboratory in BC, if from the time it enters into BC until it arrive at its intended destination, it is sealed in a waterproof container from which no fluid, tissue, or hair can escape.

is this just to keep CWD east of the rockies??? so how do you get your meat home?

05-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Debone it and/or have it processed in Saskatchewan before coming home being sure the spinal column and preferrably all bones are removed. Using a band saw to cut through bone, especially the spine, is the worst thing one can do.

Also keep in mind this is just a proposed regulation at this time but some version of it is expected to be in place before fall.

Note the original proposal said all hair must be removed from the hide.

The BCWF rep on the BC CWD working group pointed out that this does not make for a very pretty cape, thus the word "hair" will be removed since there is no evidence to date that the CWD prion exists in the hair, however, research is ongoing and the prions were recently found in antler velvet. So it follows that CWD prevention regulations are likely to change over time as more info comes becomes known.

Blainer
05-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I had my meat processed in Sask.,sausage ect.,it was then wrapped and frozen,placed in a cooler,then cooler wrapped in cardboard,and shipped via greyhound.
1 day later it arrived at bus depot in B.C.,and showed no signs of thawing at all.
Cheap!next time I will ship antlers and cape the same way.

05-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I had my meat processed in Sask.,sausage ect.,it was then wrapped and frozen,placed in a cooler,then cooler wrapped in cardboard,and shipped via greyhound.
1 day later it arrived at bus depot in B.C.,and showed no signs of thawing at all.
Cheap!next time I will ship antlers and cape the same way.

Sounds like an excellent method.

Can't be too careful. 145 mule deer, 49 white tailed deer, and 2 elk CWD cases reported in the Saskatchewan wild so far plus many more on game farms. 54 game farms have ben contaminated and depopulated in Saskatchewan, over 9000 farmed animals, mostly elk, destroyed. It's a mess, thankfully BC had enough sense to ban game farming of native species.

goatdancer
05-02-2009, 09:38 AM

Can't be too careful. 145 mule deer, 49 white tailed deer, and 2 elk CWD cases reported in the Saskatchewan wild so far plus many more on game farms. 54 game farms have ben contaminated and depopulated in Saskatchewan, over 9000 farmed animals, mostly elk, destroyed. It's a mess, thankfully BC had enough sense to ban game farming of native species.

Elk are being farmed in BC. There are elk farms up north near Dawson Creek.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-02-2009, 10:20 AM

when did BC do that?

as I have seen elk and Buffalo/bison ranches for mass meat prodution

05-02-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.canadabusiness.ca/bc/search/display.cfm?Code=5759&collection=Regulation

whitetailsheds
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Elk are being farmed in BC. There are elk farms up north near Dawson Creek.

Not elk "ranches" or "farms". You may be thinking of the Sewell Game Farm. I'm pretty sure Gary has something similar to "zoo" status. He has 1 rosey bull and a couple younger rocky bulls. The rosie has been growing quite the rack over the last few years.
There are several elk ranches or farms in Alberta near Dodge City. Towards Spirit River, and along the highway to Grande Prairie, there are at least 3.
One near Beaverlodge has several bulls that are "tank-ish" in proportions.

d6dan
05-03-2009, 11:45 AM
There's a few bison farms in the peace area. As far as I know theres been no problems. A friend of mine has a bison ranch east of Ft StJohn and has never had problems..You might know him Whitetailsheds.?

killer
12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Nice collection of bone will have to save some loot to get off this island some day.I have hunted the ok a few times .Man those whities are almost as smart as our island bucks.