PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen gold float on water?

Rock Doctor
12-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Some pics of the gold I panned from a while ago. (No I'm not telling you where I got it:tongue:). I just thought it was cool to see how the surface tension of the water could hold it up, if you are carefull. I sometimes take a pan with me when out hunting, you never know what you might find in the afternoon, when the hunting is slow.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Gold/DCP_2073.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Gold/DCP_2069.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Gold/DCP_2070.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Gold/DCP_2072.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Gold/DCP_2071.jpg

RD

mmcleodk
12-02-2008, 02:49 PM
wherever your going is where I want to be hunting, its like dinner and a show! (if you fill the tag, if not tag soup!)

drakfero
12-02-2008, 03:38 PM
i know where it is its all over that the place :))

Lone Ranger
12-03-2008, 12:21 AM
I've never had that much gold in my pan at once, but it will still float in smaller amounts. I find the colder the water the easier it is.

I almost always have my pan in the 4x4, and tinker with it every so often. My dad taught me when I was basically still in diapers, and its something that I've held on to over the years. You don't see to many folks panning anymore though, but you do come across a fair amount of claims and placer mining still. LR

BigSlapper
12-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Very cool Rock Doc ... what ($$) approx. is the amount in the pan picture worth? ... and how long did it take for you to pan it ?

Rock Doctor
12-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Very cool Rock Doc ... what ($$) approx. is the amount in the pan picture worth? ... and how long did it take for you to pan it ?

Not including the nugget, I believe that was one vial of gold (about 1 oz.). Not sure what the price of gold is right now, but alot of this stuff would be considered "Jewlery Gold".....it's worth a little more.

This particular "haul" was from a 2 week trip, with some from a later 4 day trip thrown in. We had several guys with us, it was quite an operation.

Lone Ranger
12-04-2008, 02:07 AM
My rough guess and depending on where you take it - $600 - 800 maybe?

I've always panned as a hobby, I've never found enough to make it worthwhile selling the gold. I have a few vials of flakes kicking around here somewhere - more of a keepsake for me. LR

johnes50
12-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Nice pan of gold there. We were just talking about gold panning today. My sons interested in taking it up.

2slow
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Thats really cool to see.. I have always wanted to try that out but I am not sure of how to find where you are allowed to do it.

Woodrow
12-04-2008, 07:14 PM
how can you tell its not fools gold?

newhunterette
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
that is really cool RD - I bought Peter a gold pan when we went to Barkerville and he seems to always forget to bring it with him when he goes hunting or fishing - think he better stat putting it in the truck and leave it there

sure looks awesome seeing it floating like that

huntergirl270
12-04-2008, 07:45 PM
That looks cool... never seen gold do that before or a chunk that big in my pan. Thank you for sharing :) I like to gold pan too. My parents taught me when I was small and we used to go various places in the lower mainland. The only place I go to now is around Greenwood/Midway when I go to visit my grandma.

knighthunter
12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
My daughter and son in law live in Surrey and they go panning for gold sometimes. Don't think they've found much or I'm sure they would have said something by now. They go up north somewhere's.

Rock Doctor
12-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Thats really cool to see.. I have always wanted to try that out but I am not sure of how to find where you are allowed to do it.

You can go online and look at maps to see what land is "claimed" and what is not. This will give you an idea of what areas have gold.
If you are using only a pan, you can go anywhere you want, legally. However, SOME guys get pretty irate when strangers just turn up on their claim, panning their dirt. People have been shot for less:-o.

how can you tell its not fools gold?

Fools gold looks different, it has a shiny, crystal like, look to it.
Fools gold will fracture/break under pressure, where gold will bend/dent. (fingernail test)
Fools gold is MUCH lighter, and will "wash" around in your pan.
Buyers won't give you any money for fools gold:razz:

RD

Chuck
12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for sharing the nice pictures and info. Living for a while in the Quesnel area I was introduced to a bit of that sort of thing. Later, when I left I found out how rich the area really is in all sorts of things like geodes, agates, obsidian, fossils etc. And not to mention HUNTING!

FLHTCUI
12-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Very nice Pan of flake!
Nothign wrong with spending time on the river bank when bored ...
Was once told when the rivers are low( July/Aug.) is a good time to get out and try... then if you can get out behind those big boulders and scoop some of that black sand from behind.
Rob

srupp
12-06-2008, 03:34 PM
hmnmmm my best day was a decade ago..in one day we got $2800 worth in the Cariboo MTS...much of it "jewlery grade" slightly higher $$$ and that was when gold was WAY less than today...most times we get very little but THAT day was a BONANZA..I had a couple pieces made into a pair of EARINGS FOR Susan and the big piece made into a necklace fob for myself..

Great photos Rockdoctor

steven

Rock Doctor
12-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Very nice Pan of flake!
Nothign wrong with spending time on the river bank when bored ...
Was once told when the rivers are low( July/Aug.) is a good time to get out and try... then if you can get out behind those big boulders and scoop some of that black sand from behind.
Rob

TKS,
Another good place to look is between the layers of gravel..... when you dig down, or find a cutbank, you can see the layers (big rocks, little rocks, silt, ect)....just above the silty layer is a good spot for gold to get hung up. Also, if you find "bedrock", cleaning out the cracks in the rock can be very productive.

hmnmmm my best day was a decade ago..in one day we got $2800 worth in the Cariboo MTS...much of it "jewlery grade" slightly higher $$$ and that was when gold was WAY less than today...most times we get very little but THAT day was a BONANZA..I had a couple pieces made into a pair of EARINGS FOR Susan and the big piece made into a necklace fob for myself..

Great photos Rockdoctor

steven

TKS Steven,
I take it you hade some equipment out there moving gravel?

Question:
Have you ever MADE MONEY on a prospecting trip?:smile:........I know I haven't:redface: lol

RD

outdoorsman812
12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
have you heard of putting a squirt of dish-soap in the pan to break the surface tension?

Rock Doctor
12-21-2008, 12:20 PM
I have heard that dish soap effects "surface tension", but I thought it would increase the surface tension. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought bubbles formed easier with more surface tension:redface:.

Maybe I will try experimenting a little bit, next time:smile:

RD

springpin
12-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I've always wanted to pan...But, I don't know anyone who does it, to show me some techniques.

Chad