PDA

View Full Version : Alert Bay?

zaconb
12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
I will be in Alert Bay for a few days mid December, is there any reason to drag along hunting equipment?
Cheers
Rick

MichelD
12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
For waterfowl? Not on Cormorant Island unless you will be on Vancouver Island side too and know how to find the trail down to the estuary of the Cluxewe River.

And once on VI there's blacktail and black bear hunting too.

zaconb
12-02-2008, 03:50 PM
For waterfowl? Not on Cormorant Island unless you will be on Vancouver Island side too and know how to find the trail down to the estuary of the Cluxewe River.

And once on VI there's blacktail and black bear hunting too.

Thanks for the reply, I thought there might be a chance for sea ducks.
Cheers

MichelD
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
If you have a boat you could check to see if there's any migratory duck activity in the estuary of the Nimpkish River on the Vancouver Island shore across from Alert Bay.

I don't know about sea duck hunting. There's always some around this time of year. I don't know anyone that's ever hunted them though.

There are some flocks of Canadas that seem to have moved onto Malcolm island across from the back of Cormorant Island. I had never even seen any there when I lived there from 1977 to 1986, but in the summer of 2007 I saw several flocks along the shore. How to hunt them on the beach in front of people's houses is another question, if they winter there. Might try sea ducks off Mitchell Bay and Donegal Head too.

It can be nasty weather in Cormorant Channel and Broughton Strait this time of year though.

zaconb
12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
If you have a boat you could check to see if there's any migratory duck activity in the estuary of the Nimpkish River on the Vancouver Island shore across from Alert Bay.

I don't know about sea duck hunting. There's always some around this time of year. I don't know anyone that's ever hunted them though.

There are some flocks of Canadas that seem to have moved onto Malcolm island across from the back of Cormorant Island. I had never even seen any there when I lived there from 1977 to 1986, but in the summer of 2007 I saw several flocks along the shore. How to hunt them on the beach in front of people's houses is another question, if they winter there. Might try sea ducks off Mitchell Bay and Donegal Head too.

It can be nasty weather in Cormorant Channel and Broughton Strait this time of year though.

Thanks for the information looks like i'll just do some sight seeing :grin:. To late for fishing and few waterfowl chances, but it will be great to see some new country!
Cheers
Rick

bogman
12-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I spent 4 years there one summer