PDA

View Full Version : Duck Soup?

Wildfoot
11-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Anyone have a recipe for duck soup? I cant find my copy of the HBC cookbook to see if there was any in there, so anyone have one they can post a good one?

Wildfoot
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
no one makes duck soup?!

Ok here is what I ended up making. Try some duck soup - especially if you find the meat gamy!

ingredients

Duck (oven roasted)
butter
onion
celery
carrot
bay leaf
thyme
apples
orange juice
salts and peppers
garlic
your favorite wine (red)
wild rice or pasta

Roast duck in oven stuffed with apples and onion. Save drippings.
eat some duck meat for dinner. save scraps and carcass.

put a bit of butter (a couple tbs.. you dont need much because the duck's fat will be plenty) fry onions until clear, add carrot and celery and garlic. fry for a bit until almost cooked. add wine and orange juice, then reduce. add water and duck drippings, bring to boil with carcass in the broth. boil 10 - 15 mins. remove duck body (leave apples and onion from duck in soup) and add in duck meat. add in seasoning and reduce heat and simmer. add rice or pasta and simmer for an hour or 2 on lowest heat. Add water if needed. eat.

newhunterette
12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
well you done good because HBC cookbook did not have a Duck Soup recipe as no one submitted on to it however, you became creative and look what you accomplished

guess I will see what is in grandma's papers to add a couple more to your list :) one of these days

it is nice to see more and more recipes being put up on here :)

porcupine
12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Just had Duck, Smoked Sausage and Oyster Gumbo for dinner tonight. It was yummy and the guys at moose camp love it too. Use you basic gumbo recipe and the above ingredients and enjoy.
________
roll a joint (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

blindman
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I remember making this one and a neighbor girl from a non-hunting family dined with us and thought it was great.

After a hearty duck dinner, collect all the carcasses and any leftover rice and dump into a saucepan. Add a cube of chicken bouillon per duck. Cover with water and simmer for a few hours. Strain the stock and bone the carcasses and add the meat to the stock. If there isn't enough leftover rice from the meal, cook some brown rice, a cup per carcass. Brown chopped onions and celery, a cup per bird. Mix with the stock. Add a bay leaf and season further with oregano, a touch of rosemary and basil. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and salt to taste. Simmer for a half hour. Before serving, add a few ounces of red wine or some heavy cream for added flavor.

Legi0n
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Anyone have a recipe for duck soup? I cant find my copy of the HBC cookbook to see if there was any in there, so anyone have one they can post a good one?

why soup? what's wrong with roast? :rolleyes:

Wildfoot
12-05-2008, 12:20 PM
you make the soup from the left overs from the duck dinner the night before :wink: