PDA

View Full Version : Looking to go Geese hunting but have a problem

Crazy.kayaker
11-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm looking to try for some Geese. I have a single shot, full choke shotgun so I'm looking at alternate metals since I have to use Non-Toxic and Steel Shot would rip my shotguns choke apart. I'm looking at bismuth but I don't know the shot # I need for geese. If someone can let me know I'd much appreciate it. I also can't think of a lake or field I've seen geese in that I can legally shoot at them or safely shoot at them I live in kamloops and we are a fly way for the birds. So if you know of a few open lakes that they like to reside in please also let me know. If someone is willing to show me how to hunt them that would be even better but I really just want information.

On a side note I am looking in to getting a different shotgun that can shoot steel shot, but I don't know how long that will take me as funds for guns are really tight at the moment.

Thanks in advance for all your help

C.K

Ian F.
11-23-2008, 06:37 PM
With that gun you can use any of the non-tox loads, tungsten, bismuth, heavy shot etc. Either bb's or 2's in lead used kill geese dead, so there's your choice, if 1's are available you just split the difference!

Ian

Marc
11-23-2008, 06:46 PM
When I started hunting ducks I had an old 12 gauge 3 inch single shot cooey my uncle gave to me. I got pretty good with it to the point I was out shooting my old man with his pump. I'd have a shell in my teeth ready to reload after the initial shot was fired. You also took better aim when you knew you only had maybe one chance.

#2 in Bismuth, Kents tungsten matrix or Remington HD will do the job no problem in a full choke.

Crazy.kayaker
11-24-2008, 12:58 AM
I love my single shot I actually can shoot 3 rounds as fast as a pump with the two spares between the teeth. I just want something that isn't FULL choke and pumps are the easiest to find I'd rather a SxS but the cheap ones are usually two much for me to get on a whim.