PDA

View Full Version : Nicomackl River

dutchie
11-22-2008, 10:43 AM
I have a question, I have been looking everywere to see if the Nicomackl river can be hunted if you are using a boat on the River without land owners permission. All indicators lead to yes, but is there somthing that I am missing?

I was out this morning and there was about 500 birds on the river, and there was about 20 brids that flew over me at about 70-100 yds. not a shot taken, but I would really love to take home at least 1 bird to have a lunch. does anyone know the legalities of this?

Thanks!

dutchie

NaStY
11-22-2008, 10:47 AM
What are you going to do if the bird falls on private property?

Go retrieve it and get charged for trespassing?

If it were me, i would first try to get permission to hunt PP and go from there....

tomahawk
11-22-2008, 12:24 PM

If it were me, i would first try to get permission to hunt PP and go from there....

Agree and 70-100 yds is too far to shoot anyhow.

Dannybuoy
11-22-2008, 02:41 PM

Isnt there some allowance for retrieving game from private property ? providing of course you didnt shoot it on private property !
I could be mistaken ... anyone know for sure ?

Kechika
11-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I should really get my mirgatory bird permit as I work for the Surrey Dykeing District have lots of access to the dykes and know a few Land owners...Oh well maybe next year:redface:

dutchie
11-22-2008, 02:44 PM
If a injured/dead bird falls on private property, do you not have the right/obligation to retrive the animal... Kind of like if you shoot a deer and it runs and dies in a private feild. you can't just leave it.

And the birds that were flying over me at 70-100 yds were landing in the Nicomackl river just down the road, were we want to be in the boat.

I agree that it was too high to shoot... that is why i didn't shoot at anything today!

Am I reading the regs properly about the dead/injured animals and retrival?

dutchie

Legi0n
11-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Looking at the ministry map, the Nicomekl river flows mostly through agricultural lands that are open to discharge of firearms with shot only.
Yet the City of Surrey bylaw 12349 prohibits the discharge of any firearms.
Am I reading it right?

NaStY
11-22-2008, 06:13 PM
If a injured/dead bird falls on private property, do you not have the right/obligation to retrive the animal... Kind of like if you shoot a deer and it runs and dies in a private feild. you can't just leave it.

And the birds that were flying over me at 70-100 yds were landing in the Nicomackl river just down the road, were we want to be in the boat.

I agree that it was too high to shoot... that is why i didn't shoot at anything today!

Am I reading the regs properly about the dead/injured animals and retrival?

dutchie

So what are you trying to say?

Looking at the ministry map, the Nicomekl river flows mostly through agricultural lands that are open to discharge of firearms with shot only.
Yet the City of Surrey bylaw 12349 prohibits the discharge of any firearms.
Am I reading it right?

Welcome to sunny slurrey......

dutchie
11-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I just re-read my post, sorry Nasty5000, what i am meaning to ask is:

If a dead or injured animal falls on private land, do you have the obligation to go and retrive the animal? or do you not have the obligation to search and retrive the bird.

Legi0n
11-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Welcome to sunny slurrey......

then you can't hunt anything with a firearm (including air and spring guns) within the City of Surrey boundaries.
move on...

NaStY
11-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I just re-read my post, sorry Nasty5000, what i am meaning to ask is:

If a dead or injured animal falls on private land, do you have the obligation to go and retrieve the animal? or do you not have the obligation to search and retrieve the bird.

Morley i would have to say "yup" but if push came to shove, you may be in a legal battle with the property owner. Again I would stress getting permission to hunt pp. way easier to deal with.....

dutchie
11-23-2008, 03:37 PM
then you can't hunt anything with a firearm (including air and spring guns) within the City of Surrey boundaries.
move on...

Legi0n, if you look into it a little futher rather then getting frusterated you will find the answers. There is somthing called the "Fraser Valley Special Hunting Area", it is like the synopsis for bird hunters in the Fraser Valley. It shows areas that you can and can't shoot in the Fraser Valley.

To hunt in Surrey, you have to have the "Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting Licence". For this you need to prove thrid party Liability insurance, as well as your migratory game bird licence.

Go to your Local hunting shop and pick up the brochure, it has a snow goose on the front of it and read it. it is a great source of info and will anser the hunting in surrey questions for you.

dutchie

Phreddy
11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Sad to see hunting gone in the Surrey area. I used to live near the corner of 8th Ave & 164th St when I was a kid and man did I ever get a lot of time wandering the fields and bush with my shotgun for pheasants, rabbits, and the odd blacktail deer. Everything has built up so much that I'd be afraid to shoot a bb gun in the area today.
Used to hunt the N. side of the Nick on 152nd st. on Thiessens' farm. Excellent duck shooting there, and just up the hill from their farm was some awsome band tailed pigeon hunting. Kind of miss those days.

Legi0n
11-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Legi0n, if you look into it a little futher rather then getting frusterated you will find the answers. There is somthing called the "Fraser Valley Special Hunting Area", it is like the synopsis for bird hunters in the Fraser Valley. It shows areas that you can and can't shoot in the Fraser Valley.

To hunt in Surrey, you have to have the "Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting Licence". For this you need to prove thrid party Liability insurance, as well as your migratory game bird licence.

Go to your Local hunting shop and pick up the brochure, it has a snow goose on the front of it and read it. it is a great source of info and will anser the hunting in surrey questions for you.

dutchie

That brochure I referred to as the "ministry map". But I doubt ministry regulation trumps local bylaws. And the aforementioned bylaw clearly states: The discharge of firearms is prohibited throughout the City except as provided for in this By-Law.

but I've been proven wrong before.

Malley Whacker
11-27-2008, 10:59 PM
I have a question, I have been looking everywere to see if the Nicomackl river can be hunted if you are using a boat on the River without land owners permission. All indicators lead to yes, but is there somthing that I am missing?

I was out this morning and there was about 500 birds on the river, and there was about 20 brids that flew over me at about 70-100 yds. not a shot taken, but I would really love to take home at least 1 bird to have a lunch. does anyone know the legalities of this?

Thanks!

dutchie
The Nicomackl river is closed so is the foreshore of Surrey the only way to hunt Surrey is as an agent of the farmer permission (written) from the farmer on privite land. Hope this helps.

dutchie
11-30-2008, 10:22 PM
That brochure I referred to as the "ministry map". But I doubt ministry regulation trumps local bylaws. And the aforementioned bylaw clearly states: The discharge of firearms is prohibited throughout the City except as provided for in this By-Law.

but I've been proven wrong before.

Hunting the ALR (agricultural land reserve) is allowed like what Malley Whacker said. I was also, a little unclear of what to read as well. There is a section called "Special Notes: Agriculturally Zoned Lands".

It talks about farmers right to let hunters hunt AS LONG AS the birds are harming current crops or future crops, there are some farmers that let you hunt on thier land but have no agriculture.The owner of that land can get in alot of trouble because there is no crop damage done, because there are no crops. Also to get even more technical, if a farmer has WRITTEN APPROVAL from the Canadian wildlife service, the ability to hunt the land is extended with the use of Migritory Bird Damage Permits (MBDP's).

The farm that I hunt is in this area, and he has had MBDP's since they came into conception. His family has owned the land for over 75 years and because of the Serpintine Wildlife Area, his farm is like a revolving door to Migritory game birds year round and we have permits until August :D

dutchie

Legi0n
11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
The farm that I hunt is in this area, and he has had MBDP's since they came into conception. His family has owned the land for over 75 years and because of the Serpintine Wildlife Area, his farm is like a revolving door to Migritory game birds year round and we have permits until August :D

dutchie

lucky you :-|