PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at swans

MichelD
11-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Went for a brief hunt along the Brunswick foreshore this morning.

There were a few flights of snows, but too high to shoot at.

There were only about five other people hunting in the marsh this morning and one party of two on one side and a single guy on the other side of us shot at a flight of swans that flew directly over everybody.

If you have some friends who are new to waterfowling and hear of them planning to hunt at Brunswick (or anywhere else for that matter) could you please remind them that there are swans in the area and that they should be careful to properly identify birds before shooting.

If this keeps up it'll get closed to hunting there.

Gunner
11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Years ago I turned a guy in to the CO's for shooting a swan at the Brunswick.Once he picked it up and saw what it was,he tried to bury it.When we got back to the launch the CO was checking licences so I took him down to the guy,and showed him where the swan was buried.At least the guy then admitted what he'd done,so I didn't have to testify in court,although I would have.Some people don't seem to absorb much from their CORE courses do they? Gunner

Glenny
11-15-2008, 02:28 PM
1 word...RAPP

sparkes3
11-15-2008, 07:46 PM
i also warned a guy about shooting at swans out there he didnt really care about what i had to say.told me to hunt somewhere else if i didnt want to shoot them because i was screwing up his hunt.told him again it was illegal to shoot swans he said they were something else and that they were good eating so he has probally shot them before .so i told him i was calling the co and took out my phone to do so i also had the co direct number.then he got the point that i wasnt fooling aroud so he left and i havent seen him back there since.didnt know which vehicle was his so i could get the liscence plate. but totally expected something to be done to mine when i returned but as there was 5-6 other vehicles there at the time i guess he didnt know which was mine either.he knew what he wanted to shoot and he didnt care if it was illegal or not even after i told him its not allowed so i said f#@$ em hope he gets what he deserves. i was also down there thursday evening till dark when we were walking in to the dike after legal shooting light was long gone some guy is standing right on the dike when some snow's fly over he fires two shots there was a family walking on the dike when we got back in and they were talking about buddy shooting from the dike and they were pissed so we had a litle chat with them and agreed that that type of behavior is what is going to get areas closed to hunting.so if you read this you know who you are i hope you think twice about where you are shooting because if this area gets shut down because of this type of behavior your not only screwing up your hunting area your screwing it up for everybody else as well.rant over. see you all out there tomorrow.ps the family i was talking to didnt seem as pissed when they left after we explained that its not all hunters that behave in this manner just a few bad apples in ever bunch

MichelD
11-15-2008, 09:06 PM
If I had evidence I might have called the C.O. office, but both parties missed those birds, even though they were low enough to club with the butt end of a shotgun.

sneg
11-28-2008, 09:53 AM
MichelD,

Seems like we have seen same folks (hope there are no more like that). Actually I started screaming at two of them that they must not shoot and than made move in their way .They quickly walked away from march . I met CO recently and he told that there are numerous complains from public that hunters shoot swans and carcasses laying in the marsh. I we do not stop this non-sense poaching than some day we will see marsh closed for hunting.

Steeleco
11-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I don't hunt birds, but it might just be time for a dude with a blue pick up to pretend he is hunting birds. Alla robo deer :idea::idea:

Gateholio
11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Should we have a swan season? Or is there not a huntable population?

rishu_pepper
11-28-2008, 01:23 PM
FWIW, the only place in N.America that has a swan season is North Carolina, IIRC.

RAPP is the way to go if it happens again. We don't need others to ruin it for the rest of us... :(

MichelD
11-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Maybe the place needs a 4-foot by 8-foot plywood sign at the start of the dike walk with huge depictions of the what a snow goose and a swan look like and the differences between them.

FLHTCUI
11-28-2008, 02:24 PM
FWIW, the only place in N.America that has a swan season is North Carolina, IIRC.

RAPP is the way to go if it happens again. We don't need others to ruin it for the rest of us... :(

Ummm Oregon is another only State that has a Swan Season too.
By the way, there are two types of Swans here on the West Coast, and one is an invasive pest, the only problem would be educating most hunters between the Trumpeter and the Mute Swan... and if memory serves me correct it is the Mute Swan that is the invasive pest.
I hear they are tastey though and no I havent shot one, but have found several in West Richmond that have flown into the Radio Towers in the West Dyke area over the years... well when it was still open that is...
Rob

Ian F.
11-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Rishu,

Montana or Idaho allow you to shoot swans, as does Alaska.

Ian

Ian F.
11-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Rob,

We get Trumpetors and Tundra's in addition to the Mute's. And you are right the Mute's are an aggressive pest! They hold huge breeding areas and don't allow other waterfowl to enter them. One of the Midwest states has a permited eradication program in place, guess that makes another place you can hunt them? In that local they don't have native swans though,

Ian

mattchu_19
11-28-2008, 03:33 PM
you can also shoot them in Utah.

Dirty
11-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Rishu,

Montana or Idaho allow you to shoot swans, as does Alaska.

Ian

Thanks Ian, once again Rishu is mouthin' off about something he knows about. Kind of like being a substitute english teacher.

kyleklassen
11-28-2008, 08:16 PM
saw some indians that i went to school with shooting at swans one time on a dike on south van island. spraying them with a sawed off semi auto 22. as they flew over about 30ft up. must be their heritage.

11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
where is this brunswick place you guys speak of?

EvanG
11-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I ve seen a this happen out there numerous times. Brunswick seems to be the gathering place for CORE dropouts in my opinion. I ve torn a strip off a few ppl shooting like idiots off the dike.

dutchie
11-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Should we have a swan season? Or is there not a huntable population?

I belive that we do not have a swan season because it takes so may years for a swan to reach the ability to reproduce. I have herd of it being as low as 3-4 years and as high as 8-9 years for the swan to reach the maturity to reproduce. I think the population is huntable but it would have to be strictly on an LEH basis. This is second hand knowledge, and i have done some research on it, but i am not 100% sure

dutchie

kyleklassen
10-11-2013, 09:13 PM
AHHH Yes waterfowl season is upon us...