PDA

View Full Version : Grouse in Prince George area....

Dano
09-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Just got back from a 4 day trip. Did a little fishing and turned my dog onto grouse for the first time. It's been years since I shot flushing grouse over a dog so I was worried about giving my dog a bird to retrieve if we put up a bird.
Things went well. I managed 6 birds and missed only a few (probably my best shooting ever!). My dog caught on fast and it was great to see her work on the birds.
My friends son shot his first bird on the wing and my other buddies 10 year old knocked one over on the road with a .410. Got a good laugh as the little guy shot over the bird first shot but the bird held long enough to reload. Then the grouse ran across the road and the kid hit him on the run!
Good times with old friends, looking forward to heading out again soon in the Merrit area. Is it just me or is there more deer around this year? Saw 5 bucks and 8 does without really looking for them. Also saw the biggest cow moose I've ever seen!

Freshtracks
09-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you had fun Dano, I've never tried grouse hunting that way. On another note ... I assume you'll be giving us a few play by plays of the Pitt this season. ;-)

Dano
09-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Duck reports will be coming soon. I didn't get in on the early goose season as the access into the marsh is dried up by our nice weather and a beaver dam. Hopefully things change and we get a little rain while I'm away in the next 10 days (to Hawaii).

I'll be back in time to build my new blind and get the old ones fixed up. Took an extra day off when I get home just to take care of it!
Aloha,
Dano

Fred
09-27-2005, 09:43 AM
I am just back from the area north of the highway between Chetwynd and Dawson and saw a lot of deer,both Mulies and Whitetail. Unfortunatly nothing within bow range until after the season ended.
And yes, there were a lot more Grouse this year than last. Even saw some Sharetails for the first time in decades! :-D Fred