PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Ling Cod?

David Heitsman
11-09-2008, 11:13 PM
I went to the airport last week to pick up 50# of filleted and skinned ling cod that I had left with a processor in Campbell River.

I dredged some cod fingers of it in flour mixed with cajun seasoning and fried it in about 1/4 inch of grapeseed oil turning them a quarter turn to brown in my lodge cast iron pan.

I had heard it is similar to halibut but I didn't think the texture was the same. Tasted good but I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas for ling cod. 50# is going to last me for a while.

Gateholio
11-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Her eis an easy recipe..You can use most cod/halibut/sole recipes with ling cod, of course

Heat up a good frying pan, and add some olive oil. Be generous.

Once oil is hot, add the fish, let sizzle and sear.

Once it has cooked for awhile, through the pan and fishin the hot (400 degree) oven...If you have used a pan with a plastic handle, you are going to regret it at this point.:cool:

IN a few minutes the fish will be cooked, and it shoudl be easy to get out of the pan. Remove and place on a a plate and keep warm.

Deglaze the pan with a few ounces of white wine, scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pan and reduce. When mostly reduced, toss in the jiouce of one or 2 lemons and a couple tbsp's of capers.Mix up and swirl in a few chunks of cold butter. DOn't let it boil or the sauce will seperate!!

Finish the sauce with some sea salt, cracked pepper and some chopped parsley.

This si a very simple, very easy preperation, my GF loves it. Takes more time to type it than actually do it!:D

spreerider
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
curried ling cod is good

roblikestohunt
11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Baked Ling Cod with Lemon-Garlic Butter Sauce Recipe

Ingredients
Fish
1 (2-pound) fillet of ling cod
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Lemon-Garlic Butter Sauce (http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001688lemongarlic_butter_sauce_for_seafood.php)
This recipe makes 2 cups, about twice as much as you'll need for the above fish. Refrigerate what is left over and consider using as a topping for potatoes or vegetables.
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup whole milk
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced shallots
1/2 bay leaf
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp flour
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Method

Prepare the Sauce

1 Reduce first six sauce ingredients (clam juice, sherry, whole milk, garlic, shallots, bay leaf) by half in a small saucepan.
2 In a separate saucepan (1-qt minimum) prepare the roux. Heat one tablespoon of butter in the saucepan on medium heat until it is foamy. Sprinkle in the flour, stirring a couple of minutes with a metal whisk until well mixed (but not browned).
3 Slowly add the reduced mixture to the roux, stirring quickly to incorporate. When you first add some of the mixture, the roux will bubble up. Just keep adding the mixture and keep whisking to incorporate.
4 Lower the heat to low. Slowly whisk in the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time. Add lemon juice, salt, and white pepper. Add some more clam stock if the sauce is too thick.

Prepare the Fish

1 Arrange an oven rack so that when the fish is on a baking pan in the oven it will be 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
http://www.elise.com/recipes/photos/fish-fillets-ling-cod.jpg
2 Rinse the fillet in cold water, cut into 2 (1-pound) pieces. Remove any bones with fish-bone tweezers or (spotless clean) pliers. Lay out flat in a aluminum foil lined baking pan. Rub some olive oil over both sides of the pieces, enough to coat. Sprinkle both sides with a few shakes of salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until just done. To test, use the tip of a knife to gently cut into the thickest part of the fillet. The fish is done when the fish has just turned from translucent to opaque at the center. Once you pull the fish out of the oven it will continue to cook for a few minutes.

newhunterette
11-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Cod and sweet cumin-tomato sauce
1 to 1 1/2 lb cod or lingcod steaks
Salt
Flour for dusting
2-3 lb fresh tomatoes, or 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 chopped medium onion
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped dill
3 Tbsp. olive oil, for sauteing the fish
Take the fish out of the fridge and salt it liberally. Set it aside.

To make the sauce, peel and seed the tomatoes if you are using fresh ones. This results in a better-tasting sauce, but is more work.
To peel tomatoes, plunge them into boiling water for 30-60 seconds (depending on size) and then into a bowl of ice water. The skins will crack and peel off easily. To seed them, chop roughly and lift the pieces off your cutting board, leaving most of the seeds on the board. Swipe the board clean after each tomato. It's OK if you have a few seeds.
Alternately, leave the seeds and skins on the tomatoes, then run the whole sauce through a food mill set on a medium grate after it's cooked -- this is what I do.

Make the Sauce.
Add three tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and heat it over high heat for a minute or two. Add the chopped onion and saute over medium-high heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic clove and saute for another minute or two. Add the tomatoes and cumin and stir to combine. Test for salt, and add some if needed. Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it boil down for 10-15 minutes; you want a thick sauce and you'll need to evaporate a lot of water. Once the sauce is done, turn off the heat and set aside. In another pan, heat 3 more tablespoons of olive oil over high heat.Dust your lingcod steaks in flour and tap off excess. Turn the heat down to medium and saute your fish, skin side down if there is skin on them. Cook this way for 5-10 minutes, or until you see the cooked portion of the fish reach about halfway up the sides. Don't let it cook too fast or you will burn the surface. Take your time. Flip the fish and cook the other side until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.To serve, spread some tomato sauce on the plate and top with the fish. Sprinkle fresh dill on top as a garnish.

David Heitsman
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Now I have something to work with.

Many thanx.

Johnnybear
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Here is a real quick and spicy one that is very simple.

Use a ceramic dish glass top jobby and wipe a little olive oil in the bottom.

Place a couple of cod fillets in the dish and drizzle some more olive oil (2 tablespoons) on on top of the fillets.

Get some chinese spicy bean sauce (2 tablespoons) and smeer it all over the tops and sides of the fillets.

Drizzle some soy sauce (2-3 tablespoons) over them and top them with some fresh cut green oninons (2-3).

Pour about a 1/4 cup of chinese cooking wine in the bottom of the dish and cover with the glass lid.

Microwave for 10-12 minutes and serve with short grain (sticky) rice.

I normally don't like to cook with microwaves but this is so easy and tasty I had to try it.

Salty
11-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Mmmm, some deadly sounding recipes here 8)

After 10 years of living up here in fish central I've tryed a lot of different recipes. Ling cod actually is favorite fish. And these days I always do it with a simple beer batter.

In a bowl dump some flour, half a teaspoon or so of banking powder, coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper. Stir all of this dry stuff very well with a fork or whisk. Then slowly add some of your beer that's on the go to the mix stirring constantly. Go slow, you don't want it too wet. About the consistancy of mayonaise or so.

Some smart people have told me this next step that I do screws up the engineering of a good batter, but I do it anyway. Add the juice of a half a lemon at least.

In a good fry pan on medium heat add a big ol dollup of butter. As soon as it melts add the fish pieces coated heavily with the batter. Cook for about 7 minutes on one side and flip. Immediately add more lemon and lots of fresh cracked pepper to the freshly browned side. Cook about another 7 minutes, flip on a plate and hit the other side with lemon and pepper.

Pretty boring. Pretty awsome :o

newhunterette
11-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Ginger flavoured Ling Cod
1 c Rice vinegar
⅓ c Sugar
1½ c Ice cubes
1½ c Loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
⅔ c Finely chopped fresh lemongrass*
5 tbsp Chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 tbsp sesame oil
4 pieces 6-oz lingcod or orange roughy fillets
3 c Water
1½ c Long-grain white rice
1 tsp Salt
2 lg Carrots, sliced on diagonal
1 lg Stalk broccoli, cut into florets
1 c Snow peas trimmed

Combine vinegar and sugar in heavy small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Add ice cubes and stir until melted. Puree cilantro, lemongrass, fresh ginger and sesame oil in processor until smooth. Gradually mix in vinegar mixture. Season dressing with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.) FOR FISH: Place fish in small baking pan. Pour 1 1/2 C dressing over. Cover and refrigerate 45 minutes. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Bring 3 C water to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in rice and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered. Meanwhile, cook sliced carrots in large pot of boiling salted water 3 minutes. Add broccoli florets and cook 2 minutes. Add trimmed snow peas and cook until vegetables are just crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain well. Transfer to large bowl. Toss vegetables with remaining dressing. Tent vegetables with foil to keep warm. Grill fish until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Divide rice among 4 plates. Top with fish. Arrange vegetables alongside and serve

OOBuck
11-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Thrifty Foods sells a beer batter. Mix it about the thickness of
peanut butter, yes of course with beer. 1/4" of olive oil in a frying
pan on 2/3 high dunk fillets and gently place them in about 3 minute per side. I cooked about 100 lbs at a wedding last year and I still have people calling me the Halibut guy! Best thing is you can drink the beer while doing the cooking... Ling is real close to halibut and some prefer ling over it..

tomahawk
11-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Mmmm, some deadly sounding recipes here 8)

After 10 years of living up here in fish central I've tryed a lot of different recipes. Ling cod actually is favorite fish. And these days I always do it with a simple beer batter.

In a bowl dump some flour, half a teaspoon or so of banking powder, coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper. Stir all of this dry stuff very well with a fork or whisk. Then slowly add some of your beer that's on the go to the mix stirring constantly. Go slow, you don't want it too wet. About the consistancy of mayonaise or so.

Some smart people have told me this next step that I do screws up the engineering of a good batter, but I do it anyway. Add the juice of a half a lemon at least.

In a good fry pan on medium heat add a big ol dollup of butter. As soon as it melts add the fish pieces coated heavily with the batter. Cook for about 7 minutes on one side and flip. Immediately add more lemon and lots of fresh cracked pepper to the freshly browned side. Cook about another 7 minutes, flip on a plate and hit the other side with lemon and pepper.

Pretty boring. Pretty awsome :o

Tried your recipe tonight as it is simple to do and was impressed at the results! The Hali was really moist and the batter tasted great!! Thanks Salty!

island grown
11-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Her eis an easy recipe..You can use most cod/halibut/sole recipes with ling cod, of course

Heat up a good frying pan, and add some olive oil. Be generous.

Once oil is hot, add the fish, let sizzle and sear.

Once it has cooked for awhile, through the pan and fishin the hot (400 degree) oven...If you have used a pan with a plastic handle, you are going to regret it at this point.:cool:

IN a few minutes the fish will be cooked, and it shoudl be easy to get out of the pan. Remove and place on a a plate and keep warm.

Deglaze the pan with a few ounces of white wine, scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pan and reduce. When mostly reduced, toss in the jiouce of one or 2 lemons and a couple tbsp's of capers.Mix up and swirl in a few chunks of cold butter. DOn't let it boil or the sauce will seperate!!

Finish the sauce with some sea salt, cracked pepper and some chopped parsley.

This si a very simple, very easy preperation, my GF loves it. Takes more time to type it than actually do it!:D

this is a wonderful way of doing any white fish. good suggestion Gatehouse. i just wanted to say, when you add the little dollops of butter. turn the heat completely off and just whisk in the butter slowly. this dish is nice with a risotto. enjoy your dinner.

Salty
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Tried your recipe tonight as it is simple to do and was impressed at the results! The Hali was really moist and the batter tasted great!! Thanks Salty!

Right on tomahawk, glad it came out nice for ya. :smile: Next time you go camping/fishing bring a little flour and bp and some lemons along. Assuming that the beer is a given! It tastes even better by a campfire :shock:

Dannybuoy
11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry I am not adding to this thread other than to say Thanks as well
Mmm Mmmm I love fish and certainly going be using these recipes ASAP

LUCKY
11-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Ling is close to hali but has a flaky texture.
My favourite is breaded. Real easy.

Mix up some bread crumbs with parmasan cheese, salt and pepper. Dip the fish in some milk and then into the bread mix. Pan fry and serve.

LUCKY