PDA

View Full Version : Fooled a "don't like deer" eater

sbtennex
11-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Girlfriend hates eating deer - maybe it's the big brown eyes, I dunno - yet she loves lamb. Pulled a good one on her. Marinated mulie backstraps, steaked, in white wine, bit of lemon juice, fresh garlic and rosemary, ginger, bunch of honey, Mirin, light soy sauce, pepper and olive oil overnight. Hot and fast on the BBQ and she couldn't tell it wasn't young lamb......delicious!

moosinaround
11-08-2008, 08:22 PM
MMMM................venison!! Hope I shoot one and I too can dine in fine fashion!! Moosin

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 08:28 PM
If I tried that I would end up hung up with the deer, or at least divorced. My daughter loves it but "MOM" says no.!!!!! I will try that combination for my self at least.

Steeleco
11-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Is she still your Girlfriend?? Or did you even tell her?
My theory is: If I tell them what it is and they say no thanks, it's all mental. Few if any that were open minded enough to try it, refused seconds.

BTW, same goes for bear!!

lilhoss
11-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I had something funny along those lines too.My brother and I used to roomate together back in college.We had just finished cooking up some cougar chops and were diggin' in.All was good.A lady friend we knew, stopped in and grabbed a chop off the counter.She thought it was pork,so we didn't let on any different.'Bout half hour later she asked what was the recipe for those chops,,,after laughing for a moment,..all I could say was ..Meow.After a quick sprint to the can,she hurled,....we laughed,....,after that she knew not to steal food from our plates without asking what it was!!.

newhunterette
11-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I tell everyone I cook for what I am serving - some say not gonna try it and I can usually persuade them to try a bite and when they do "Voila" instant venison converts

I made 2 moose roasts and a beef roast one night for a dinner party of Peter's relatives who were visiting from Denmark - before I sat down there was no more moose roast to be served so I had to settle for beef

I have had venison prepared by friends and not been happy with the flavours, but I can "brag" once in a while I cook venison and people always have 2nds and 3rds and want the left overs for taking home :)

sbtennex - sounds like you did a great job in the meal prep - but naughty naughty for the blind side - hopefully she will want you to cook for her again :)

sounds like a great recipe for the deer - thanks for sharing

2slow
11-08-2008, 10:56 PM
My mother is a staunch anti gun anti hunter but for some reason after she forced herself to try some of my venison I cooked up for her at a family meal she found she loved the meat. Now she will say "I dont know how you can go out and kill those poor deer" but if she knows I was lucky enough to kill one she is the first one with her hand out for a free roast or two.......

Brambles
11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
too bad you had to ruin the meat with all that stuff in order for her to eat it.

Mulie is my favorite meat, straight up with a little salt and pepper for me with that critter.

mrdoog
11-09-2008, 01:23 AM
"Mulie is my favorite meat, straight up with a little salt and pepper for me with that critter."
You know it!

jeeper
11-09-2008, 02:28 AM
I know you had good intentions !

But people that dont want to wont !

I will always let people know what they are eating and after they try if they dont like it they dont have to try more !

Bruce

11-09-2008, 02:51 AM
pulled the same quick one on my girlfriend.
nice work.