PDA

View Full Version : One week deer hunting menu

David Heitsman
11-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Leaving right after Remembrance Day for the Empire Valley again for a week of horse and jet hunting. Have been out getting the groceries and making the plans. I bring the tent, stove and grub and my uncle brings the horses.

Day 1 Breakfast; Whole grain Pancakes, Berry and Maple Syrup, Coffee & Beef Bacon

Lunch is trail mixes fruit and jerky. Stuff we can eat while riding.

Dinner ; Rib Eye Steaks rubbed with chipotle powder, smashed baby garlic potatoes asparagus and apple pie.

Breakfast 2nd Day. Huevos Rancheros & Coffee

Dinner: Cornish Game hens poached in the Dutch oven stuffed with Jalapeno and Poblano peppers. Served with raw spinach and bread stuffing.

Breakfast :Hashbrowns and omeletes

Dinner : Beef Rib racks. These are braised in the stock pot on the wood stove when we leave in the AM and will gently simmer about three hours in a court boillion type miraquos mixture. Then they are finished on the grill and served with hashbrowns and niblets corn

Dinner: Grilled Salmon and wild rice. Normally prepared with terryaki and brown sugar.

Dinner: Curried chicken drumsticks and thighs fried on the stove. I get these premarinated from an Asian meat shop in Clearbrook. This will be served with lentils and a curried vegetable dish along with garlic naan.

Dinner : Turkey Fajitas and jalapeno chili beans. This is a turkey breast that is marinated in lime and tequila. You get them from Costco in Bellingham. Condiments are guacamole, pico de gallo sauted peppers etc.

Dinner: Make your own pizzas. I get the whole wheat flat breads from Costco and I like pesto sauce and spinach and bacon on mine. My uncle is more for the Johnsonville Italian turkey sausages with tomatoe and mozza.
Just put the lid down on the barbeque and shut off one burner to become and oven.

I will have a couple pies and also a tray of the greek baclava fillo desserts
to finish with.

These will all be washed by cans of O'douls.

We never go hungry and we never lose any weight.

boxhitch
11-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Great menu. But who does the cooking while you guys are out hunting ?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Great sounding food!
Don't forget to get off those horses and wear some of it off:wink:.

Have fun!

SSS

goatdancer
11-07-2008, 10:11 PM
How many horses do you use just to pack your meals?:rolleyes:

If that's how you eat in the bush, what are your meals like at home????

Gateholio
11-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I approve!!
:p

Brambles
11-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I went to region 8 this year, brought my wall tent.

Breakfast1. Granola bar and Coffee
Lunch 1 Bear Cheese pepperoni and Water
Dinner1 Hamburgers and a coors light

Days 2-5 Repeat the above menu

But I lost weight, which is always good.

I don't think I could hunt eating that much food, all I'd want to do is sleep after each meal.

calvin L
11-07-2008, 10:39 PM
It sounds like our horse back trips . I still lean towards the cheese cake and the brownies . . it's all good though.

calvin L

Gilmore
11-07-2008, 11:17 PM
You talked me into it Dave, I'd be happy to come along, won't even need a gun, just a fork and a napkin!

newhunterette
11-09-2008, 11:56 AM
see how easy it is to eat gourmet in the woods :)

sounds awesome David

bsa30-06
11-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Great menu. But who does the cooking while you guys are out hunting ?

Maybe ther taking Ali along:-P

newhunterette
11-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Maybe ther taking Ali along:-P

Lloyd,

David is a very wonderful cook - he has lent me some fabulous videos and books on cedar plank recipes - I have been taking a few notes from them - I don't think he needs me to be his cook however I am always willing to provide my services as a camp cook if anyone is willing to take me along :)

David Heitsman
11-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Boxhitch: I actually do the cooking myself and truthfully it is a bit of a job.
We are camped right out of the pick-up and trailer so weight isn't an issue. I pre-prep quite as much as possible before I go. ie onion, pepper chopping, egg mixtures in containers etc.

It's dark by 4:30 so we usually get back around 5:30 ish and I jump right into meals while uncle un-saddles, curries and waters the ponies. That alone takes close to an hour as the water is about 15 mins away and by then I'm 3/4 of the way thru preparation and by 7:00 we are sitting down.

The reverse is in the AM and sometimes it's well past daylight by the time we ride or roll out.

Gatehouse: I wondered if you ever read this section or not and figured if you were you'd correct my spelling on miraquos!

SSS: I do walk a fair bit but my uncle is older and insists on wearing c'boy
boots which don't help him any when I'm trying to sidehill him thru the Churn Creek voodos to a deer just as the frost is coming out of the clay. You get the visual?

David Heitsman
10-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Leaving tomorrow afternoon for another week-ish of hunting at the Churn / Empire Valley area. For fun I looked back to this old thread to see if my menu has changed. Don't have the lime marinated turkey for fajitas this time or the Cornish game hens but do have two splatch-cocked chickens that are rubbed in a chipotle pepper concoction. These will be grilled.
Also stopped in Keremeos at a fruit stand a couple days ago and bought a bag of mixed hot peppers to make some fresh tomato salsa with.
Have preboiled some whole wheat spaghetti noodles to serve with country grain garlic bread and spicy tomato sauce.
Likely won't lose any weight again this year either!