PDA

View Full Version : deer hunting with dogs

houndhunter
09-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I was reading the hunting synopsis & I didn't realise you could hunt deer with dogs - only the dog has to be on a leash. has anyone doen this? What success did you have?

We own Drevers, they're a scandanavian hound used mostly for hunting hares but in sweden they still use them for deer. One of ours is imported from Finalnd, the other one we bought in Thunder bay he is bred in Finland. These dogs are favourites with the hunters over there. I'm planning to go over in March to watch them hunt with them. Here's my website if you want to see them:
http://www.dreverdogscanada.bravehost.com/index.html

We show them too, they're both champions, but i'm really interested in hunting. I've gone out with my father but I have to still do the CORE test, so I just watch the dogs work.

Ronforca
09-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Just a thought.If you use your dogs Deer hunting on the leash you will have a tough time using them for hares.They will progably take off after the first Deer scent that they come upon.Dogs are shot on sight by a lot of hunters if seen running Deer off the leash.We have had to leave a jacket a few times back east when our hounds took off after Deer and were still going after dark.They were usually laying on the jacket in the morning.

houndhunter
09-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, I definitey wouldn't want them to get confused! (and I wouldn't want them shot either!). We'll probably stick to hares for now, I never realised how fun hunting can be!

Sasquatch
10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Nice looking dog Houndhunter. Looks like it could track anything.

I wondered about the "dog on a leash" deer hunting too when I read the regs. I certainly can't claim to be an expert on deer or hounds, but it seems to me the only good it would do to hunt deer with a dog on a leash is to track the animal after you've shot it. I can't imagine getting very close to a deer, scrambling through heavy brush and who knows what, carrying a firearm and trying to hold on to a very excited hound. I always thought that the only way to use a dog to hunt deer is to "course" them, which is obviously illegal and rightfully so as far as I am concerned.

If anyone knows differently, please enlighten me.

I am starting to train my Wirehaired Pointer pup to track, so he can hopefully help me recover game that I can't find. I've never trained a tracking dog before, so the whole thing with "drags" is new to me. But WHAT FUN! I can't wait to get him out working next year.

Does anyone else use their dogs to track deer they've shot and can't locate? I know when I bowhunt, it is always on my mind how nice it would be to have a dog available in case I need some assistance.

Sasquatch

houndogger
10-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Mooseman who sometimes is on this site has tracking dogs for downed or wounded game. Try and pm him he has alot of experience in this field.

Sasquatch
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks Houndogger, I'll do that.

tmarschall
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
I used a dog one time to track a lost deer... works wonders. after tracking it for 3 hours and the blood trail dried up with no where to go. Dog found it 200 yds down the trail in 30 seconds.

houndogger
10-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Yup I would have to say a dog is price less in these situations.

Mooseman
11-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Sorry for not having been here for a while. We had a long season this year.
To train a hunting dog to track wounded game (on a leash) is a fun process. But it is even more fun to do the real thing at the end. You will become a team that uses both partners knowledge and senses to arrive at the finish.

You can start with your pup in the house by taking a piece of ham or sausage and rub it on a spot a little and continue to drag it in a straight line for about 10 feet or so and hide it behind a tables leg or so.
Then bring in your pup and point your finger at the beginning or your "trail" and tell him your command that you will be using for the rest of his like. I use the word "search" and pint him in to the right direction.
You can do that once every day and as the dog is getting better at it you can go further and with complications. Curves, steps, carpet to tile, skip patches, switchbacks and so on.

Tell me a bit about your dog. Age, character, bad and good habits......

Sasquatch
11-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the info Mooseman, hope you're having a good season.

He's an 8 month old Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. He's got lots of hunt in him and has been pointing birds (pigeons/ducks) and rabbits for months. He will whoa on command off leash, unless there are any birds in the area. I can lose control of him pretty easily once he gets onto a bird or rabbit, which I figure is normal for his age. He fetches well and is already responding to my hand signals on blind fetches with a dummy.
I just introduced him (slowly) to the shotgun and he didn't flinch or seem to be bothered at all, so I may try and put him into some grouse this year before the season is over.

I have been playing a similar "hide and seek" game you described in the house and would like to take it outdoors. He still uses his eyes more than his nose when searching but I think as it becomes more challenging for him he will have to rely on scent primarily.

So far, I'm pleased as can be with his progress, especially considering my lack of experience with versatily hunting dogs and I'm looking forward to having a great bird dog, that hopefully will track game for me also.

And yeah, he's been a dynamite pet and companion for me and my girlfriend.

Your help is appreciated Mooseman.

Sasquatch

Mooseman
11-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a very nice dog Sasquatch. I have used German Shorthair's to track for 20 years as well and it is very possible to have your Griffon do it too. I think you will experiance some of the same challanges though. They are intended to bird hunt and not track so much.

He will be wanting to work on air born scent more then on ground scent. You will have to wait 4 hours or more before you begin to work a track with him.

He will want to go too fast. You have to never let him off the 25' leash while doing a search or training track. And keep it very slow. Try to build in some more then usual interesting things like pices of bone or a bundle of hair along the way. Praise him for showing you these things and spend a moment on them to show your dog that you are very interested in these things since they can tell you a lot about the injury while on a real track.

You should have a look at thise website and get yourself John's book. http://www.deersearch.org/introduc.htm