PDA

View Full Version : More sausage questions

OOBuck
11-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Ok, I was real tired last night and ground 50lbs of meat
can I now thaw the "ground" and use it for sausage mixture?

thoughts..

Bow Walker
11-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Of course you can. Just thaw it slowly under refrigeration or controlled temperature conditions (as in overnight in an outside cold spot) and start processing when there is still some ice in the meat. Get it done and back in the freezer as soon as you can.

Oh yeah, don't spend all day mixing the sausage/ground meat - it won't benefit the final product. By all means, mix it well but don't let it start to emulsify on you.

Re-grinding the final mixture will make the sausage consistency a bit finer than you might be anticipating but that won't hurt the taste at all.

Steeleco
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Me thinks your making a whole lot of sausage!! Take BW's advice to heart.
When dealing with large lots, the last lot will have thawed completely before you get to it. And unless your smoking it, it won't save the same.

c.r.hunter
11-07-2008, 10:19 AM
For next time, it's far easier to mix your spices in with the cubed meat before you grind. If you didn't already know that.

OOBuck
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Excellent gents!!

I have NO background in the food industry so it nice to know my food safe skills are up to par..

I figured it was fine but nice to draw info and make a decision from others that have been doing it for a while.. Every little bit helps!!

I always said if you figure your done learning that's when your ignorant!

Cheer's, thanks again

Bow Walker
11-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Yup! 30+ years of cutting meat and there are still things to learn....and I ain't too proud to learn, either.

OOBuck
11-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Yup! 30+ years of cutting meat and there are still things to learn....and I ain't too proud to learn, either.

Ok, do you know how to tie knots on de-boned roast??

Bow Walker
11-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Yessir - 'over, under, twist, n', thru'...........