PDA

View Full Version : Good eating?

Brizz
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm new to hunting and want to get into waterfowling, but I want to eat what I shoot. I've heard mixed reviews on the taste of local ducks? The only duck I've had is Peking duck and I loved it. I know it's a matter of opinion, but how do the local birds taste? Are Canadian geese any good?

c.r.hunter
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
The local birds taste great. With the exception of getting a mallard that has been eating rotten salmon. I generally stick to farmland and don't often get a "chum duck". The biggest key is to clean the ducks/geese ASAP in the field. When I first started hunting birds, I didn't much like duck either. I was taught that it's OK to pack them home and clean them later. Once I was shown that it's just as important to get the guts out right away on a bird, the quality of the meat went way up. I generally get on them in the blind as soon as I drop them. I like to pick as many feathers as I can around the breast/back area while the bird is warm. I then pull the guts. Just like a grouse, if you don't clean them right away, the flavour of the guts goes into the meat.

Brizz
11-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Makes sense. I would never pack home a fish with the guts still in them! This is getting me really excited to get out there!!