PDA

View Full Version : more more & more moose (moose anyone)

newhunterette
11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
with 2 moose in the freezer this year and still some from our last moose - I have had to really get moving on sorting through more of my recipe cards

Stuffed Moose Chops
6 Moose chops, cut 1 1/4" to 1 1/2 " thick
1 1/2 cups garlic croutons
1/2 cup apple, chopped
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp. dried currents
2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
2 Tbsp. orange juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut a pocket in the side of each Moose chop. Mix together the croutons, apple, cheese and currants. In another bowl, combine melted butter, orange juice, salt and cinnamon. Pour butter mixture over the crouton mixture and mix gently. Lightly stuff the Moose chops with the butter-crouton mixture. Place the stuffed chops in a shallow baking pan and bake uncovered for 1 hour. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 15 minutes.

Tender Moose Morsels
this is a great appetizer to tease your friends with

Backstrap or other tender Moose cut, cut into strips about 2-3" wide and 4" long
Bacon
Italian dressing
Canned Jalapeno Peppers (which ever degree of hottness you like) cut into thin strips
Jack cheese cut into 1/2" x 1/2" slices
Toothpicks

Pound back strap strips to about 1/4 " thick. Marinate back strap over night in Italian salad dressing. Lay out one strip of bacon. Place one back strap strip on bacon. Place one pepper strip on back strap.Place cheese inside pepper strip. Roll tightly and secure with toothpick. Bake until bacon is done.

Fried Moose smothered in Gravy
be prepared to have to loosen the belt with this delight

3 lbs Moose cubed
1 cup flour
1 medium onion
5 tbsp butter
1 chopped bell pepper
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup Sherry Cooking Wine
1 pack Peppercorn Gravy Mix
Salt & Pepper
Garlic powder

In a cast iron cooking pot with a lid melt olive oil over medium heat. Season meat with salt, pepper and Garlic powder and anything else you like to season your meat with. Mix Peppercorn Gravy Mix with flour. Then flour meat and cook until lightly brown. Set aside fried meat on paper towels to absorb excess grease. Saute chopped onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in olive oil that is left in pan. Now pour off all grease except for about 2 Tablespoons. Turn heat on high and add 5 or 6 Tablespoons of flour. Stir flour in pan with fork vigorously until flour is brown. Now with heat on high stir in 2 cups of water or enough water to make desired gravy consistency. It is now time to turn heat down to low and add cooking wine, salt and pepper to taste. Place all meat back in the pan and place covered in oven on 250 degrees. Cook for about 30-45 minutes.

11-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Now this one sounds like it snot too bad Ali..

catwelder
11-05-2008, 10:16 AM
you need to put out a wild game cook book. it all sounds so good!

newhunterette
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
you need to put out a wild game cook book. it all sounds so good!

I did one last year for Christmas for HBC and it seemed to be a great seller - unfortunately the calculations for it being a great fundraser for HBC didn't quite make the grade but always willing and working on a new project :)

thanks you very much :)
Ali

tikkat3
11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
hey, if you got too much moose I take donations! I used to play hockey in aldergrove as a kid!