PDA

View Full Version : OH Yuck - a recipe that turned my stomach

newhunterette
11-03-2008, 11:34 PM
okay, I have read and heard of many recipes for game meats but this one sent my stomach wretching

was wondering if anyone else has ever come across a recipe like this and if so if you have ever made it

as much as I have tried many different foods considered delicacies I don't think I can rank this one as one........................

Moose Nose Jelly
- 1 Upper jawbone of a moose
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 tbsp mixed pickling spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c vinegar

Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the eyes. Place in a large kettle of scalding water and boil for 45 minutes. Remove and chill in cold water. Pull out all the hairs - these will have been loosened by the boiling and should come out easily ( like plucking a duck). Wash thoroughly until no hairs remain. Place the nose in a kettle and cover with fresh water. Add onion, garlic, spices and vinegar Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender. Let cool overnight in the liquid. When cool, take the meat out of the broth, and remove and discard the bones and the cartilage. You will have two kinds of meat, white meat from the bulb of the nose, and thin strips of dark meat from along the bones and jowls. Slice the meat thinly and alternate layers of white and dark meat in a loaf pan. Reheat the broth to boiling, then pour the broth over the meat in the loaf pan. Let cool until jelly has set. Slice and serve cold.

Now I know my Dad would make blood sausage, pickled pigs feet, head cheese, cow tongue you know all the things kids won't touch with names and things like that - just the thought turns my stomach but Moose Nose Jelly just sounds like SNOT to me - yuck

11-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Me too Ali, but then I wouldn't eat those things your Dad makes either...
I'm just a simple meat. potatoes and gravy guy with high colesterol.

newhunterette
11-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Me too Ali, but then I wouldn't eat those things your Dad makes either...
I'm just a simple meat. potatoes and gravy guy with high colesterol.

well Daddy never passed them recipes on to me - yuck I never ate them neither - days like that I was glad for a McDonald's Happy Meal lol

Peter used to be just a meat and potatoes man until he started dating me and discovered I could cook :) then he got gourmet meat and potatoes lol

oh yuck just read it again - that is just wrong - sounds like a science experiment or something for "Fear factor"

Gateholio
11-04-2008, 12:06 AM
It's basically Head Cheese

http://www.askthemeatman.com/images/headcheese.jpg

11-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Yah imagine all the non-meat substances that would be rendered into the liquod broth by the boiling process, I think you mentioned "snot" as an example.

11-04-2008, 12:08 AM
It's basically Head Cheese

Do you make it Clarke?

Gateholio
11-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Do you make it Clarke?

I have made head cheese, and I can make it, but there isn't much of a demand for it these days. I've never made the moose nose thing. NEver bothered to save a moose nose, although I've heard a million times it's a Native delicacy.

Glenny
11-04-2008, 03:25 AM
My guess is the moose "snot" would be boiled out in the first hair removing boil. Homer says... "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm moose snouts" I think someone should give it a whirl and let us know how it is. Thanks for the recipe Ali...cringe...shiver.......G

sealevel
11-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Thats funny alli !! you will not eat nose because of snot . but i will bet you have eaten lots of sausage the casings are large intestins. its only crap that comes out of there. ha ha

Ubertuber
11-04-2008, 07:37 AM
... just the thought turns my stomach but Moose Nose Jelly just sounds like SNOT to me - yuckIt might sound like snot, but it's not. Head cheese is yummy.:smile:

island grown
11-04-2008, 08:44 AM
sounds like from what you wrote and described, it's a terrine that your talking about. now it doesn't matter weather its a straight meat, gelatine or aspic, or dessert terrine. there all terrines. mostly referred to because of the dish they are cooked in or chilled in.
in your recipe, is there any gelatine or aspic added.
you should make up a batch, close your eyes and taste it. you never know, you might love it.

boxhitch
11-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Handle a few moose noses and you will realize that moose don;t have snot. They don't catch cold, and never sneeze (well, maybe the cartoon version)
Lots of material in the nose to get rid of when caping, andd its all natural, so why not ?
I've savoured the tongue several times, and we know where it has been.

Is modern head cheese actually made from the head? or the hocks ?

oldtimer
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Moose Nose is a delicacy for the first Nations. I have had it and it wasn't bad. Mike

newhunterette
11-04-2008, 09:11 AM
oh for the love of the Goddess - I know what head cheese is and I know what blood sausage is and yes I make sausages from natural casings - and yes as I got older I have tried many very different so called delicacies from around the world

I just thought this sounded "vile" now I won't experiment and make it but I would probably hold my NOSE when I would give it a try (my motto is can't say ya don't like something iffn ya have never tried it)

and as for my SNOT comment was made in gest and one day y'all will get my warped sense of humour heheheheheheh

so someone make it and let's have a sample "GULP"

11-04-2008, 09:14 AM
What about that recipe for Tag soup "newhunterette" ? I am think that I will make one of those with a stale moose tag in it.

moosinaround
11-06-2008, 09:56 AM
My family has been making this type of dish for 100's of years! It was typically made from pork, jowel meat, hocks etc. I love it when my mom makes it!! In our family we like to chew on the bones after they are boiled, to get the Grizzle off too! Then the dogs get whats left! It is very tasty, and filling! It sounds gross, but humans put all kinds of dirty disgusting things in their mouths! Moosin

11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I saw a show where they visited a butcher in Alaska. He is one of the best butchers in the state and makes moose head cheese. The fellow that visited was not sure at first, but after trying the finished product admitted that it was very good.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I have had this many times ....

A fellow my Dad knew well used to Live at AZU year round and lived primarily on wild meat and Chinese food (Carla worked at the Chinese food joint in Mackenzie).... Austrian Couple ... That place was my favorite place to go as a kid because of all the neat eats there ... Moose Nose, Tougne & Blood sausage... etc... etc...

Dog soldier
11-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Don't be so quick to pass judgment. It's actually closer to moose tongue and quite tasty.
I don't care for the jelly part, so just eat it sliced as is. A bit like corned beef, but not as grainy. Fine textured.

Doe Eyes
11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Geez Ali...where did you find this recipe?
YUCK!

newhunterette
11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Geez Ali...where did you find this recipe?
YUCK!

I have so many boxes of recipe cards and books passed down through my family - generations of pioneers and homesteaders

you would be surprised some of the recipes I have found

I turn every shade of green and yellow and yuck with some of the concoctions they came up with

hehehehe but hey I am always willing to share them - not so sure I am brave enough to make some of them to sample

Gateholio
11-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Is modern head cheese actually made from the head? or the hocks ?

Commercially, they use head and hocks as well as other trimming bits.