PDA

View Full Version : Injured owls, hawks, eagles, falcons ....

MichelD
11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
If you come across any of the above while hunting, the folks below are happy to see you.

I drove into their parking lot Saturday morning and they took one look at me in camo and said eagerly; "Oh, have you got a bird?"

And I did, a short-eared owl with a broken wing Symon had found on the foreshore.

"Thank you you," the vet said as he examined the bird. "Some people try to bad-mouth hunters, but you're usually the only guys out there and bring birds in all the time. If you weren't out there, they wouldn't survive."

We went back later and found out little owl appeared to be otherwise healthy but with a broken wing joint would probably spend the rest of his or her life a brood animal.

See below:

OWL (Orphaned Wild Life) Rehabilitation Centre - Delta

Activity: The OWL rehabilitation facility is dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned birds of prey. It is run by volunteers, and on your visit you might see bald and golden eagles, barn owls, perhaps a falcon all rescued and released to nature when they are well. Details: Owl is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday from 10 am to 3 pm. Owl is locatwed at 3800 72nd St., Delta; For more information call 604- 946-3171, Website: www.owlcanada.ca (http://www.owlcanada.ca/)
Area: Delta
Season: All seasons

Wolfman
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Seems there are a lot of downed birds out in Delta there. My best pal works as a longshoreman out at Deltaport and he tells me he sees owls and sometimes hawks down on the side of the road quite a bit. He took an owl to the CO then the O.W.L society not long ago then had it mounted at the local taxidermist.

Its a drag that such beautiful birds end up dead like that. Apparently a lot of the low-flyers get nailed by rigs on the road out there.

Wolfman

Steeleco
11-03-2008, 11:22 AM
IMO the next best thing to rescuing them is to have them mounted. If they are doomed anyway, why not enjoy their beauty for years to come. I have a Sharp shinned hawk, and see owls at work all too often.

The OWL folks are decent hard working folks. Kudos to them for all their efforts.

SAVAGE300
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I found a red tailed hawk floppen around the side of the hwy near parksville ( still alive ) thru my fleece jacket over it and went to the bird recovery center less than 5 miles away, they were closed at that time, so I brought the bird home layed him on our bed just the way i had picked him up, called the 1-800 number and explained wat I had, they just said to take it back in the morn, The wife just got home from work and was not to pleased to see this bird starring at her. An hour latter the hawk passed :sad:, what a nice bird, too bad, did all I could. next morn took the bird down to the conservation HQ in Nanaimo and they confirmed the bird was hit by a vehicle and wrote a report for me to get a permit to have it mounted. He is now in my freezer

lip_ripper00
11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
[quote=Steeleco;.

The OWL folks are decent hard working folks. Kudos to them for all their efforts.[/quote]

And very thankful for any donations of freezer burnt meat and fish:wink:

Wolfman
11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
And very thankful for any donations of freezer burnt meat and fish:wink:

Yeah, my buddy took his downed (deceased) owl to them and they hooked him up with the CO and they did all the paperwork for him once the bird was weighed and measured. They also helped him get the permit he needed to get the taxidermist going on the bird.
Good folks there.

Wolfman

Blainer
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Myself and a good buddy came across an injured Great Horned Owl while out hunting a few years back.We were able to pick it up,so we built a cage from what was available and dropped the owl at the same place mention above after the hunt.
They rehabilitated the owl and even came out to our area to let my friends young son's release it back to the wild.

Crazy_Farmer
11-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Its very wierd that you just made this thread as just on saturday after driving back down our road I came across a wounded osprey or hawk on the side of the road. Called home and and my dad said to throw my jacket on it and bring it home. I did, it looked like the bird either hit a car or power lines, they really like to chase the ducks around here. It had blood coming out of its nose and both eyes werent closed and its just bobed its head up and down.

Long story short we called OWL and a fellow came out the next morning. By then the bird had opened one eye and seemed better. They were going to take care of it and then release it back on our property. Turns out its a northern harrier which is quite common.

I guess hunters do care more about them then others. I was a bit worried about the fellow picking up the bird seeing goose decoys but he was rather happy we were hunters too.

spreerider
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
we had a hawk hit a window at our workshop, he was right outcold so we brought him in out of the snow heated a blanket in the microwave and wrapped him up till he came back to then got another hot blanket and put him in it outside and about an hour later he flew off.
i swore he was dead but the bosses wife said he would be fine and she was right.