PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips on Short Reeds?

longshot
11-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I just got my new goose calls from Jason at Canadian Waterfowlers Pro Shop. I got the Bill Saunders Honker and my son got a Zink PC-1. I know from what people have said, it is not easy to use short reeds. And if you just blow in it, it dosent sound like a goose, and there is a "proper" way to use it. Got a little CD on short reeds. I can make it sound...okay. It's my first short reed.

Do you guys have any tips on Short Reeds?

Longshot

Duck Buster
11-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I use a short reed Zink call as well. I find the key is to control the air into the call and don't puff your cheeks like on a goose flute. Also your hand placement controlling the back presure into the call is very important. Just keep working with it and it will sound real good in no time.

Good shooting
Jamie

Marc
11-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I've never used a short reed I only have a goose flute made of cocobolo wood. I had people laught at me when I told them I paid $150.00 for it about 10 years ago but when they saw it bring in the geese they soon changed their tune. I'll try and get a picture of it and post it up.

You need to watch goose hunting videos and see what the guides are doing to bring the birds in. It's just not sounding like a goose it's knowing what to say and when as well.

Good luck!

Marc.

mattchu_19
11-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Marc, I have to disagree with you on watching hunting videos and hearing what they do. Most videos are made by call companies and they over call in their movies to show off their calls(Some even add the calling during editing). Most of the time all you need is a cluck and a moan to pull geese in. the best advice I can give you is buy a calling dvd/cd, its worth the money. I'd go with either: Shawn Stahl's Honker Talk, Scott Thrienen's Bad Grammer or Dave Smith's Breakthrough, which all cover the basics up. Any other question you have give me a PM and we can talk. I have been blowing a short reed for quite a few years now and hopefully I can help. Matt

P.S.

If you have a refuge or roost that you can go sit at its great to just listen to all the sounds geese make. I say this because on a scale of 1-10 A real goose would be 10 and a world champion caller would only be about a 5.

longshot
11-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys, i practiced a little more this afternoon and watched some online videos. And my CD. It's helped out. I think my son is actually a little ahead of me with the callng, he has been working on it all day!

Crazy_Farmer
11-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Definitely practice is the key, just keep trying and trying and do just like 5-10 minutes a day and soon enough you'll be confident in all your calling.

I know when I first started using a short reed I didnt think I sounded good and couldnt make all the right noises, but you keep getting better as time goes along.

longshot
11-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Yep, he's soundin' pretty good. mabey tomorrow he'll get a chance to try his call at the geese. As long as he doesn't get to excited and forget how to call, (the same thing that always happens! :D)

Longshot

Gunner
11-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Keep practising Longshot!I use a number of different shortreeds,(Foiles,Saunders,& Zink).They are all a little different in tone,but the same techniques will work on any of them.It took me a year of practice to get where I am now with shortreed calls but the geese seem to like them! Cheers,Gunner

jethro
11-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I just got a short-reed call this year, the Foiles Meat Grinder. I can't blow it worth a $h!t! My buddy was making some good sounds with it but I don't even bother blowing it when I see Geese. I'd probably just scare them off! I could use some basic tips on blowing a short-reed because I can't seem to figure it out

longshot
11-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I just got a short-reed call this year, the Foiles Meat Grinder. I can't blow it worth a $h!t! My buddy was making some good sounds with it but I don't even bother blowing it when I see Geese. I'd probably just scare them off! I could use some basic tips on blowing a short-reed because I can't seem to figure it out

My son found some online videos. If you click on google videos on the homepage and type in how to blow a short reed goose call, a list will show up and thats how my son learned. He used his new Zink today and called in two flocks. Pretty good for the first day of use, i blow in mine and sounds like a new years horn. :mad: I give it to my son, and don't now how, IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOSE!! So it just stayed in my pocket all day today. But try to find some online videos, it worked for Longshot JR.

Goodluck!

Longshot

shotgunjohn
11-03-2008, 08:28 AM
The basic call on a short reed is to mouth the word Too-whitt into the call. Emphasize the whitt. You can draw out the tooooo and shorten the whitt for a hail call or double up on the whitt to double cluck. You can change the tone somewhat using your hand to control air flow but I think its important to have a call with good tone to begin with. What works for me is to call sparingly when the geese are at a distance then increase the frequency and urgency of the calls as the geese get closer. If you watch real geese react to a flock coming in, they get very vocal just before the new flock hits the ground.

fowl language
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
try dropping your jaw as you blow your call,this will stop you from puffing your cheeks out.your supposed to bring up the air from your diafram rather then puffing your cheeks.......fowl

longshot
11-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Bin playing with the call for a bit and using these tips. starting to sound better. Thanks!

Longshot