PDA

View Full Version : decoy layouts

sparkes3
10-27-2008, 10:04 PM
can anyone tell me where i can look at a decoy layout for about 30 decoys i have tried various patterns sometimes it works sometimes it dont havent really hit on the right recipe yet any websites that show a proper layout.thanks in advance.

c.r.hunter
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
for ducks or geese?

Dirty
10-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Good Question! I usually just wing it. If I have hunted a spot before I will have an idea of how the birds will come in depending on conditions ( clear, rainy/windy). I try to see up to give the birds an optimal spot to land where they will be in the best position for shooting. I am not an expert and so I look forward to hearing about ways to improve my spread. I also try not to put decoys too close to where I am hiding. Does this make a difference?

c.r.hunter
10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, I'm not overly experienced on decoying geese but have brought it many ducks. My fool proof spread is basically a semi circle around the blind. Leave a nice open "hole" right in front of your blind. Set the decoys in a semi-circle with the outside of the spread being within shooting range. Generally the more the better, we generally use about 5-6 dozen deeks. The key is to make sure all the open water on the outside of the spread is within shooting range Most birds will try to land tight to your spread. Often times they will go for the big open "hole" right in front of you. HOWEVER, it is also critical to be well hidden. All my blinds are made from natural materials from the area-blade grass ect... It's also key to be wearing full camo, face mask ect.. and don't move when they are overhead. The other big key to our formula is to learn how to call...not just a hen call but feed call, confidence call, comeback call ect... Buy a video and spend some time learning to call.

mattchu_19
10-28-2008, 05:58 AM
take a handfull of pennies and throw them up in the air. Where ever they land put a decoy there.

branthunter
10-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Ducks and geese will often land outside your farthest decoy so make sure that all your dekes are within range (your effective range that is). In marsh hunting I keep mine fairly spread out on the theory that relaxed and happy ducks don't sit together in a tight bunch. The only hunt where I consider decoy placement to be crucial is brant and of course think my set is the best for getting them in range ---but you'll find any number of theories on that particular "best".

huntwriter
10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I don’t use fancy layouts. Usually I set the decoys in two groups to either side of the blind. This gives the birds room to land in the middle, right in front of my shotgun. Ducks also will land to either side of the decoy groups. Just make sure the decoys are set up inside your shooting range and that the ducks approaching from downwind can land. I have found that good calling tactics are much more important than decoy layout.

sparkes3
10-28-2008, 06:15 PM
thanks for the info will try the semi circle and two groups the next time im out.here's to good hunting

Marc
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I don’t use fancy layouts. Usually I set the decoys in two groups to either side of the blind. This gives the birds room to land in the middle, right in front of my shotgun. Ducks also will land to either side of the decoy groups. Just make sure the decoys are set up inside your shooting range and that the ducks approaching from downwind can land. I have found that good calling tactics are much more important than decoy layout.

Bad calling can be worst then no calling at all. If the birds are working the spread stop calling, if they pass you, give them a come back call.

Ian F.
10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Most of the basic points have been covered...

here are a couple other factors...

WIND! Ducks like to land into the wind, so you need to set your hole up to meet the shooting restrictions as outlined by others, but also to make the shot as best you can. Many like cupped birds in their face, I prefer a crossing wind, lot less meat damage then a full load of face on, and a crossing bird is a more natural swing, then in and out.

Most important is you need to be where the ducks want to be, if you are off by a few hundred yards no decoy spread will pull them, MOVE! keep moving till you figure them out.

Best of luck,

Ian

huntwriter
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry Ian F. In my post I wrote “downwind” instead of “in to the wind”. You can tell I am first and foremost a deer hunter.:biggrin::biggrin:

I am heading out over the weekend for ducks and hopefully geese too. Before the lake freezes over. On the way home from my hunting grounds I passed by the lake and there must have been at least a 1000 birds on the water and the field next to it was black with geese. Never seen anything like it here before. The gun will get a good workout.:wink:

c.r.hunter
10-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Bad calling can be worst then no calling at all. If the birds are working the spread stop calling, if they pass you, give them a come back call.

Very good points Marc. Bad calling is by far worse than not calling! Also, the calling can very from day to day or even flock to flock. Sometimes heavy calling is the only thing that will bring them in other times just the opposite. It all comes with experience....

NoLimit99
11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
WOW was this post so needed glad for all the info and tricks people, will try on tomorrows duck hunt.

Marc
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Good luck!

bandit_69
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
a really good source of info is to go to www.performancecalls.com (http://www.performancecalls.com) and sign up for the news letters where Chris sends out emails regularally on different tips to killing ducks and geese as well as sales on their calls and so on. lots of helpful hints and different formations for settin up deeks and calling techniques.

303Brit
12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
take a handfull of pennies and throw them up in the air. Where ever they land put a decoy there.

This is the best method ;)

Peace Country
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
I use a big X then if the wind changes directions all I have to do is turn the blinds so the wind is at my back. Place your blinds in the center of the X close enough to touch finger tips with the next hunter. Turn your blinds to a 45 degree angle this gives you lots of shotgun swing room, remember never swing past your partners toes you will have plenty of action inbetween your partners toes on both sides. Place your decoys in all directions.
1)Palce your blinds first
2)carry 2 decoys with you and walk out from the center blind 25 steps place one decoy at 25 steps walk 90 degrees right for 25 steps place the other decoy ( this is the furthest corner decoy now place your decoys every 3-4 steps in a zig zag direction back to the corner bliind. The center decoy in front of the blinds pick it up and walk 90 degress to the left this will be the corner blind on the left hand side do the same on the left as you did on the right side.
3) repeate number 2 on the back side of the blinds until you have an X pattern. Each wing of the arm will look like this BLIND decoys> in this direction.
4) Put your best decoys down wind that is planned for the day, make sure that each arm of the wing has about the same amount of decoys, then put decoys around your blind in a little tighter then the 4 wings.
5) make sure you blinds are well conceled. Remember birds wont flare from good decoys but they will flare from your blinds if they are not well concealed.

If you find that birds are sliding away off the corners of the spread they are probably seeing your blinds or some one is doing the "Steve Wonder moves with thier head".
To combat this you can do a lazy J pattern with the decoys about 3-4 steps apart and put your blinds down wind of the long part of the J about 50-60 yards past the end of the decoys, you will have to side shoot the geese as they are looking to land. The geese are looking at the decoys and you are well hidden in your blinds.
I hope this helps.

warnniklz
01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Here's the layout I tend to use. The furthest decoy we set at 35 yards and the closest decoy is set where ever the closest goose sh!t we find to the blind. The picture is obviously not to scale but you should be able to get some sort of idea.

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/warnniklz/?action=view&current=Decpylayout.jpg

sparkes3
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
thanks again

32-40win
01-16-2011, 11:32 AM
There isn't a "magic" spread pattern that will work every time. We've used J's and X's and blobs and families scattered around and spread out V's, V's with another one out back of us,and a walk-in flock out in front as well.
They all work, if you are roughly in the part of the field they want to be in, and of course--in the right field for that day. Or section of a lake,or the right day pond.
Concealment is more important than the spread. I like the description of the "Stevie Wonder " move. Use a mask or face paint, too, if you can't keep your face down.

Kyle84
01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I like doing a circle or U pattern with space for the birds to land right in the middle of my shooting lane. If your close to your decoys make sure you are extremely well hiden, ducks are smart.