PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Bow Question...

Huey
10-27-2008, 12:18 PM
So I've been thinking of taking up bowhunting and keeping a curious eye on bows and future equipment I may want. Anyway, being that I don't really know a thing about bows, I have an opportunity to acquire, at a decent price (I think), a compound from my neighbor. He told me he purchased this bow in the 80's and it looks like it just came out of the box. Never been hunted with and probably very rarely shot.

Check-Mate Squire the numbers on it were 60#-30# 28"-29". It looks like it was very well handcrafted with a nice dark camo paint on it. Apparently they were made in the lowermainland???

First of all, if you know anything about this bow, what would you value it at? Second will this bow be adequate for me to hunt deer in our province?

10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
So I've been thinking of taking up bowhunting and keeping a curious eye on bows and future equipment I may want. Anyway, being that I don't really know a thing about bows, I have an opportunity to acquire, at a decent price (I think), a compound from my neighbor. He told me he purchased this bow in the 80's and it looks like it just came out of the box. Never been hunted with and probably very rarely shot.

Check-Mate Squire the numbers on it were 60#-30# 28"-29". It looks like it was very well handcrafted with a nice dark camo paint on it. Apparently they were made in the lowermainland???

First of all, if you know anything about this bow, what would you value it at? Second will this bow be adequate for me to hunt deer in our province?

28" to 29" is the draw length and adjustment range, make sure you check your own draw length so that any bow you buy will fit you properly.

4570hunter
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
More info for you that is a 30 pound to 60 pound bow with a draw length of 28 to 29 inches. The real deal if its in good shape is to shoot it because I replace my bows whether used or not every ten years. Moisture and time are real factors when dealing with wood or composites. How they were kept and where are huge factors. Bows are not like guns and don't last a lifetime. I have seen 100 year old bows that look great but I would never pull on them even though they look like museum pieces. IMHO buy something new or used about 2- 3 years old should be fine. If your sold on the bow your talking about then crank it up to max and shoot it twenty times minimum that should tell you alot.

GL

Sideofabarn
10-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Some things you may want to consider include the string type. You'll need to make sure there is a comparable string and cable available to purchase, otherwise if you bust either of these it'll be rendered useless. Bow technology has come a long way in the last twenty years, so as neat as this one is, check for brands and prices of new bows, just to compare. Even though you mentioned the bow was most likely rarely shot, it's probably not worth too much, which might be a good thing if you're not looking to pay too much. However, go to an archery club and see what others are using, and they **may** let you try theirs. Some folks get funny about others tooling with their bows, and their concerns are most certainly legitimate. The poundage on your bow is fine, but there are other nuances such as energy that contribute to effectiveness. Some bows shoot certain arrows fairly flat, whereas others shoot arrows in an arc resembling a wicked curveball. Unless they guy is urgently selling this bow and wants an answer now, shop around for a bit, and it may save you in the long run.

Onesock
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
All of the above is good info.

Bow Walker
10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
....First of all, if you know anything about this bow, what would you value it at? Second will this bow be adequate for me to hunt deer in our province?

If you're looking for a "wall-hanger" then go ahead and buy it. It'll look a lot prettier than it will ever operate.

Do yourself a favour and invest less than $500 into a bow that is very adjustable, is brand new, has all the newest technology built into it, and will last you the 10 years or so that has been previously mentioned.

PM me for details.

Ron.C
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm with Bow Walker, If your interested in getting into hunting with a compound bow, you will be much better served with a new entry level bow. Pretty much all the major manufacturers make one for beginners "PSE/BROWNING, BOWTECH/DIAMOND, are a couple that come to mind. And shortly, the new 09 Bow's will be coming out so it's pretty easy to find 08 bows being sold at reduced prices.

First of all, the technology of even entry level bows today is light years ahead of the technology that was out there even 10 years ago. I know some will say an old bow will kill an animal as clean as a new one, sure it will. The difference is when you draw, hold and aim the new bow. A new bow will be lighter, shorter, shoot faster and draw much easier and be alot more comfortable to hold a full draw than the old bow, all items that will help you harvest an animal with a bow. Finally, It will be more fun to shoot which will make you want to shoot more often, making you a better bowhunter.

Bow Walker
10-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Well said Ron. I couldn't agree more.

Huey
10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks fellas, I decided that the $125 can and should be invested in something a little newer, ok... alot newer. I really appreciate the willingness you guys have to help a new/future archer. Thanks for the education on bows.

greybark
10-28-2008, 08:37 PM
:cool: Huey , That Chek-mate compound has laminated maple wood limbs and since it is quite old do not as 4570 suggested "crank it up and shoot" it . Any limb, cable or riser failour could result in very serious injury .
Cheers ..,.

huntwriter
10-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Wise decision Huey. I own one of the first generation compounds and it still shoots like a charm and I am sure it still would kill deer too as good as it has almost 20 years ago. The only reason I still shoot the bow for fun is because it is my own and I know it is in good condition. I never would purchase such an old bow of anybody I don’t know how well they took care of the bow.

Like greybark said all sorts of problems could occur from snapping cables and string or the limbs could come unglued. Not worth the trouble. There are plenty of good deals to be had. Go to an archery store and have a look around, sometimes you find almost new trade-in-bows that are in top shape. Some archers are very much like fashion queens they have to have every year the new model and trade last years model in.

Edward Teach
10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
If you want a nice shooting compound that won't break the bank, take a look at a Martin Bengal.

Bow Walker
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Have a look at several websites - they're going to be lowing out the '08 bows and bow packages to make room for the new '09 models. Just like the auto industry.

Here's a few to check out.....

http://www.ca.nationalarcherysupply.com/

http://www.mountain-archery.com/

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/

That last one is where I got my current hunting bow - year end model at a very good price. "To my door price" was better than anything I could find locally.